Gotta tank 'em all: a comprehensive guide to Amumu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ANDRETHEGOD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2010

Great guide...

and LOL pokemon song remake FTW

Heely

07-29-2010

Been playing Amu in 95%+ games I've played in the past week (ie. when he's available in draft mode).

Now that I have more experience, a few questions.

1- What do you do if you're playing Junglemumu (ie. you took a cloth, and smite) but the enemy is coming towards you, and warding your golem, and not letting you jungle ? You get back in lane and kinda suck ? (happened to me last night, and yes I escaped unharmed because I warded the entrance myself, but it still set me back quite a bit).

2- How do you farm on Amumu ? I find gold to be so much of an issue (then again my previous main was Goldplank, so...). I find myself barely having Aegis/boots3/sunfire cape by the 25 minutes mark, sometimes not even finished on Sunfire... And yet the core build is supposed to have Sunfire AND an Abyssal ? What "goals" should i have (have finished core by X minutes, etc) ?

Also, I found that in a lot of game, after Aegis/Boots3/Sunfire, GA is the best item to get if the team is physical heavy, as it does provide a bit of magical resists but also some armor...

Thanks.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heely View Post
Been playing Amu in 95%+ games I've played in the past week (ie. when he's available in draft mode).

Now that I have more experience, a few questions.

1- What do you do if you're playing Junglemumu (ie. you took a cloth, and smite) but the enemy is coming towards you, and warding your golem, and not letting you jungle ? You get back in lane and kinda suck ? (happened to me last night, and yes I escaped unharmed because I warded the entrance myself, but it still set me back quite a bit).

2- How do you farm on Amumu ? I find gold to be so much of an issue (then again my previous main was Goldplank, so...). I find myself barely having Aegis/boots3/sunfire cape by the 25 minutes mark, sometimes not even finished on Sunfire... And yet the core build is supposed to have Sunfire AND an Abyssal ? What "goals" should i have (have finished core by X minutes, etc) ?

Also, I found that in a lot of game, after Aegis/Boots3/Sunfire, GA is the best item to get if the team is physical heavy, as it does provide a bit of magical resists but also some armor...

Thanks.
Alright, I'll see what I can do...

1. You could try a few things; you could
a) pretend to lane and start jungling when they leave golem
b) run away to their golem instead
c) get a teammate or two to watch your back at the start of the game (make sure they leave before you kill anything, you need the xp)
If they're still preventing you from jungling, you're going to be behind. There's not much you can do about it then.

2. I'll admit that I worded that wrong, making it a bit misleading. Aegis and boots are the real core, with Sunfire and Abyssal being my first picks for additional items. Basically, I see no reason to get any other armor item before Sunfire and no reason to get any other MR item before Abyssal. I generally gun for these two items in 95% of my games. I'll be sure to fix that the next time I update the guide, thanks for the catch.

3. Building a GA against a physical heavy team is a solid choice. Since you won't have to worry about as much magic damage, you are indeed justified in delaying Abyssal (I would still get it eventually for the damage boost at least). Remember that tanks, more than any other role, need to change their build on the fly to efficiently counter the enemy team. No tank should have a set build past boots and maybe the first item.

Hope this helps.

Heely

07-29-2010

berzerk, it helps. Going to their golem I'm not a huge fan, as it leaves you quite exposed, especially since I ghosted to ward the entrance to our jungle. And as I mentioned, returning jungling isn't an option sometimes, the guy last night (Sion) had warded MY golem bush right after...

For point #2, I understand what you mean now. But do you have any tips on how to make $$ on Amumu ? The main problem is, if my team does well I'm rich (tons of assists, a few kills), but if my team isn't doing great (which is the situation were me having more gold would be beneficial), then I can't get ****.

So sometimes by the 35 minutes I have Aegis/boot3/Sunfire/GA/1-2 items to build Abyssal, and sometimes I barely have Aegis/Boot3/Sunfire...

Thanks.

Karalius

08-02-2010

Quote:
well, first of all, all 4 of your teammates should be somewhere near the golem river, you can ask them for help, and most of the time everyone will come, unless you are playing at lower ELO where people dont care, in that case you should roll over competition with amumu anyway.

anyway, problem i immediately see is you buying a ward with cloth, that slows you down A LOT. (assuming you want to get to level 4 as soon as possible and either gank or get dragon)
so i recommend buying cloth+5hp pots and try adapting to a route that i shown in a video a while back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0h4bnoN-W0

Quote:
for farm, every time your ult is on CD, kill minions, try to always kill the two golems, they give a lot of gold, and basically keep your jungle dead at all times, also people will go buy and heal, you cover and farm their lanes, amumu is not that bad of a farmer, especially later when you get sunfire+w+e clears waves in seconds.

Fight for dragon also, he gives quite a bit of gold and is very important, if you are good with amumu and can sneak in 2 dragons in like 12 minutes, thats a lot of gold for you and your team. (altho most teams wont let you do that easily)

there cant be any "goals" to what gear you have, if you are up against 5 physical carries, you get tabi+sunfires, and you will be fine.
if enemy team is mixed with AP and AD champs, banshee+sunfire+mercs is basically all you need to tank till very late in game.

berzerk dragon

08-02-2010

lol, I added to my guide like I promised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karalius
anyway, problem i immediately see is you buying a ward with cloth, that slows you down A LOT. (assuming you want to get to level 4 as soon as possible and either gank or get dragon)
so i recommend buying cloth+5hp pots and try adapting to a route that i shown in a video a while back.
I think that's more of a preference deal. Starting with a ward does more than protect me from ganks, it also protects one of my lanes from ganks too. Don't get me wrong, if it weren't for your video, I never would have jungled with Amumu the way I do. It's just that I would rather be a little bit slower than you and help my team from the get-go, than try to set a record for fastest jungling. I think it's mostly playstyle; for example, I like to help my team at every opportunity. It's just how I am. Your jungling route is just as good as mine (or rather, my jungling route is just as good as yours), and it's really a matter of preference.

Heely

08-04-2010

Found a route that saves 35g (one less health pot). I kill Golem while downing a pot(Blue buff), the wolves, then instead of bluepill, I go ahead and kill the wraith, too. By the time I walk there I regenned enough (or I wait 5-10 secs to regen what I need) to kill them safely. THEN I return to base, and go do Lizzy and the 2 golems without a pot.

Vassiliy

08-06-2010

Really good guide, thanks! I've been playing and loving Amumu for a while, but never thought of jungling. Soloing the Dragon at lvl 4 is impressively easy... and getting a quick Rod of Ages (I skipped boots until later as we were already pushing for teamfights early on) gave a good damage boost to those early teamfights. Finished with 5 / 8 / 26 and fed my team's Tristana and Ezreal some nice double/triple kills.

I like not having the stress of a 10 minute laning phase to build myself up best I can, as Amumu is a pathetic last-hitter as well.

Heely

08-06-2010

berzerk, which entrance do you ward ? The one closest to mid, or the one farthest from mid ?

berzerk dragon

08-06-2010

Both. With the right placement, you can get every entrance and dragon/baron with a single ward. On baron side, place it in the middle of the river, right under baron's warning sign. On dragon side, there should be a rock right above dragon's warning sign, put your ward on that. It's really cool stuff.