Gotta tank 'em all: a comprehensive guide to Amumu

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fatalfencer

07-19-2010

all i say is this guide is win

Akal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2010

Excellent guide, great tactics section =)

Heely

07-22-2010

My current tank/caster rune page is flat hp quints, red mpen, yellow dodge (also have hp/lvl if I play a caster, dodge is for tanks), blue flat cdr.

Would that work, especially for jungling, or no ?

I'm trying to get to play a tank, I bought and tried Morde and didn't like him too much, so now I'm off to try Amumu, and I want to know if those runes either :

A) Can work and are fine
B) Will gimp me a little, I'll be OK but should look into replacing them ASAP, or
C) No frikkin' way you can actually do anything with that, farm IP and replace runes before playing Amumu.

(I'm out of IP at this point, but I can farm more).

My main is GP, but I also play Karthus and am looking into working a tank in my rotation for ranked games where I'm needed to play one. I'm not an uber "clutch" player, so I can't play toons like Ez, but Amumu seems fun and easy enough to master.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks !

Thanks.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-22-2010

Heely, your runes will work fine. However, I would highly recommend switching out either you seals or your glyphs in favor of mp5/lvl runes. If you're following my guide, you'll notice that I build no mana items. This is because runes and masteries give me enough mana regen to last me 2-3 teamfights. For reference, I die every other teamfight on average. When I don't die every time the enemy decides to bunch up, I generally steal golem for infinite mana. Without mana regen runes, your mana pool won't last as long, but you should be fine for just trying him out for now.

Heely

07-22-2010

Berzerk, thanks. Your guide is very helpful, and I look forward to getting home tonight and trying him out.

I'll be able to jungle anyway at lvl 1, right ?

I'm gonna look into replacing the yellows for mp5 runes, and after that, the blues for MResist.

For items, your build for jungle vs. laning only differs in initial item (Doran vs cloth armor), the rest (aegis, boots3, sunfire, abyssal, then situational items) is still the same, correct ?

I'd rather jungle as I see it as a big team benefit, if no one else wants to jungle.

Krackor

07-22-2010

Amumu has been my tank-main since season 1 started due to the incessant Shen banning, and I'm enjoying him thoroughly.

I like your build, but I've been having success with some slight variations to it. I'm running MPen reds, mp5/lvl yellows, flat CDR blues and flat HP quints (though I'd like to replace the blues with MR), so my mana supply is similar to yours. I always avoid chalice, but at least half of my games I'll build an early +mana item like Catalyst or Glacial Shroud. Catalyst goes to Veil against caster- or stun-heavy teams. Shroud goes to Frozen Heart of course against auto-attack heavy teams. The extra 400-500 mana helps me spam all my abilities between trips to base without having to snag golem from the other casters/support on my team. When I get the chance to grab Shroud, the 20% CDR is incredibly nice for ganking/teamfighting more often with my ult and for both initiating and cleaning up/chasing with bandage toss.

When playing against a support-heavy team, and/or if my team is low on burst damage, I find that fights can last much longer than the duration of the active on Randiun's. In that case, Frozen Heart provides better sustained mitigation because of the -aspd aura. Like you said, build is almost entirely situational, and I think Frozen Heart/Glacial Shroud deserves a higher recommendation than "Items I do not recommend."

I also prefer grabbing Banshee's Veil as my first MR item (other than Aegis) rather than Abyssal Scepter. The extra offensive power is nice, but I find the spell block and extra hp are especially potent mid-game before your opponents have enough MPen/AP/veil poppers to break you down. Being able to last longer in a mid-game fight gives you more time up close with Despair running and I think results in more damage output than you'd get with Abyssal. It's still a nice end-game item to help buff your teammate's damage output though.

I don't really see a reason to ever get Thornmail on Amumu either. There's little reason for a carry to ever attack you, unless you're caught alone in a gank, in which case you have other problems to worry about. Sunfire, Randiun's, Frozen Heart, and Guardian Angel are all higher priority than thornmail imo, and if you've built 2 or more of those there's little reason to keep building armor anyway.

Otherwise, I found your guide spot on. An excellent reference!

Heely

07-23-2010

Wow. This is both meant as a bump, and for me to say, wow.

Your guide rocks. I tried Amumu last night. One practice game, where I jungled, then a premade 3v3 with 2 friends on TT (2nd game ever on TT, not a fan, but one of my friends had 30 mins top for a game).

Amumu ROCKS. Bandage is a tad tricky to land, but man. Amumu is really fun. I loved how Tryndamere and Garen kept hitting me, and I'd just cry them to death both... !

I've started replacing my dodge runes for mp5/lvl runes. I might just keep the CDR runes for blues though, not sure yet. We'll see. But dude, yeah, awesome guide.

berzerk dragon

07-23-2010

Lol, thanks for the praise. Bandage Toss can be tricky to land at first and mastering it is really just a matter of getting used to the slow projectile speed and the stupid .3 secod lag at cast. Learning how far to lead my opponents when tossing was the hardest part for me. The only real solution for that is trial and error, so don't beat yourself up if you miss fairly often. Instead, consider WHY you missed; was it because the enemy moved? Or did they just move faster than you expected? Or was it for some other reason? Asking yourself these questions can help determine what part of the Toss you need to work on. Good luck, and keep (opponents) crying!

WithoutSkill

07-23-2010

Yeah, pretty good guidelines. I am a big Amumu fan and I got to mildly disagree on a few points.

Heal : I love it on Amumu. Early game is better staying power, and endgame I use it to save teamate or simply heal up my team during teamfights, as the heal effect is negligible on my 3k + hp. I dont really need another spell to ROFLWTFOMGWUTSTOMPED most teams.

Masteries : I always get offense 9 ... I actually play him as 9/10/11 ... I wont say why here, its your guide lol ... but send a PM if you are curious about it.

I also always get merc threads, mostly for the MR. I am getting pretty good at aiming the bandage so I usually dont need too much speed.

I'll have to give you credit for the jungling part tho ... I never tried that. I definitely will tho. I usually was playing him as a team player, always present where the most of the enemy team is.

Heely

07-23-2010

WithoutSkill : that's the nice part of jungling. It doesn't take that long (you kill dragon at 4!, then you're 5, and you rejoin your teammates). And you got 2 people with a decent lead in XP instead of just 1, and you're a little ahead of a duo lane, too.