FootSpaz's Warding Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FootSpaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2011

UPDATE: I finally got around to updating this guide. However, I couldn't bring myself to deal with the terrible formatting of these forums and I wanted something easier to manage than PDF files. So to view the shiny new one you can head over to SoloMid and read it there. I will leave this version here just in case anyone wants to still see it. Be warned though, it is very outdated now.

I noticed that all of the in-depth warding guides around here were a little out-dated (generally still from beta), so I decided to write a new up-to-date one. Since the available BBCode commands and formatting options are absolutely worthless, I included a PDF version that at least follows a decent formatting scheme making it more legible. If you really feel like torturing your eyes, than continue to read the forum version.

FootSpaz's Warding Guide
Original Posting Date: 7/5/2011
Last Updated: 7/5/2011
Latest Patch: v1.0.0.120

TL;DR: If you need a TL;DR this guide is not for you.

WARNING: This guide is ridiculously long; it is not for the faint of heart. You have been warned...

Table of Contents
1) Introduction
2) About the Author
3) The Basics
4) Misconceptions: What Warding is and Isn't
5) Who Should Ward
6) When and Where to Ward
6a) Warding Based on Game Time
6b) Optimal Ward Placement
6c) Ward Location Explanations
7) Countering Wards
8) Tips and Tricks
9) Summary
10) Credits
11) Future Additions
12) Change Log

1) Introduction
NOTE: I originally wrote this guide almost a year ago, but never quite finished it because I became very busy juggling a job and my senior year at college. I only bother mentioning this because while I have gone through and updated everything I could find that has changed since then, I may have missed something. If you happen to see something that isn't accurate, please point it out and I will correct it.

Warding is one of those things you hear players talk about being necessary all the time. However, unless you are in at least a moderately high ELO bracket (read: not ELO Hell) you are unlikely to see much of it. This guide is intended to:

- Show player's new to warding how to properly do it.
- Demonstrate "optimal" placement for wards, useful for new players and veterans alike.
- Clear up a few misconceptions about warding.
- Give a few useful "tricks" with wards

This guide is also targeted at players who have a decent understanding of how the game is played and know most, if not all, of the lingo associated with it. I will not bother explaining terms, abbreviations, and acronyms that I feel should be common knowledge. If you don't know what something means, I suggest you search for it through your favorite search engine, such as Google. If you can't figure it out from that, you can ask in this thread or another one and either I or some other kind soul will (hopefully) answer it for you. (This and this are decent lists of acronyms).

You should keep in mind that some of the things mentioned in this guide only pertain to particular ELO brackets and also may become out of date if you are reading this guide a while after it was last updated. I'll do my best to keep this up to date, but I'm busy man so no promises. You can find the date and patch of the last revision on the top-left of this guide.

You should also note that a large portion of this guide is my opinions. You don't have to agree with them and if you don't I would appreciate it if you would politely point that out and explain why you disagree. If I change my mind and agree with you, then I'll update my guide to reflect that and give you credit.

NOTE: If you are basing your arguments against what I have said solely off of section 9, "Summary", I'm fairly likely to ignore it or just give a simple response of "RtEG" (read the entire guide) since for most of the subject matter it was nearly impossible to compile what I said previously in the guide into concise sentences. Therefore it is easy to misconstrue what I said in that section, hence why I don't recommend reading only that section. And now my introduction is almost as long as some guides so I think I'll end it.

2) About the Author
First, a disclaimer: I am not in a very high ELO bracket yet. This is due to several reasons, which I will not waste time trying to list. That said, I have played many strategic games before (and make no mistake, League of Legends is a very strategic game) and tend to do well in them. I have been playing League of Legends off and on since mid October of 2009 (about 2 weeks before the beta ended). I have paid very close attention to where and when allies and enemies like to travel throughout the course of the game; this gives me the ability to determine good locations for placement of wards. I also watch a lot of high-ELO streams in an attempt to learn tricks and strategies from the best players. If you have a problem with my credentials (or lack thereof), then there is no need for you to read any further.

3) The Basics
If you are a veteran at warding or have at least done it more than a handful of times, you can probably safely skip this section, though the "facts" part may have a few things you didn't know or forgot such as how long each ward lasts and what its range is. This section is aimed at those new to wards and warding in general.

First of all, I should discuss what wards are. Wards are a consumable item you can purchase and place nearly anywhere on the map that give you limited sight around them for a limited amount of time and are invisible to the enemy team, unless they have stealth detection. Here are a couple of facts about wards:

- They are invisible, but are considered stealthed units and so can be seen by anything that detects stealthed units such as towers, Oracle's Elixir, Vision Wards, etc.

- Turrets will ignore wards, but still reveal them allowing any placed within range to be destroyed by the opposing team.

- The Fountain Laser Turret doesn't have magical vision and therefore won't reveal wards. Not sure why this would be useful, but you never know. (NOTE: This means you can run around in their fountain with stealthed characters such as Twitch, Evelynn and Shaco. I have tested and verified this.)

- You can teleport to them.

- They are immune to spell damage, but can be destroyed with auto-attacks, assuming you can see them.

- They have 3 hp and only take 1 damage per attack, no matter how much AD you have.

- They take roughly half a second to cloak after placement, so be careful placing them where enemies can see that you placed one or even destroy it before it cloaks!

- Sight Wards give you 1100 range vision of an area, last 3 minutes, and cost 75 gold.

- Vision Wards give you 1000 range magical vision (reveals stealthed units) of an area, last 3 minutes, and cost 125 gold. (Yes, 100 range less than Sight wards. It appears Riot has removed sight distances from their tooltips, but from my testing it appears the ranges have remained the same.)

- You can stack up to 5 of the same type of ward per slot.

- You can click on a ward to see how much longer it has before it expires.

- They have a "placement range" which means they don't have to be placed right at your champion's feet. You can use this to place them on the other side of a wall.

- They do not provide vision of brush unless they are placed inside that brush. This includes Vision Wards, since units inside a brush are considered "hidden" units instead of "stealthed" units.

- The vision provided by wards is affected by LoS. This means that they cannot provide vision of the other side of a wall, and cannot see around corners.

Some of these facts will be used in section 8 "Tips and Tricks" to show how you can use them for more than just providing vision of an area.

Now that you know what wards are, we need to talk about the process known as "warding". Essentially, warding is just the process of placing wards at key locations such as buffs, chokepoints, and places enemies commonly go that minions don't give you sight of. The idea behind this is that if you (almost) always know where your opponents are, you can avoid being ganked, do some ganking of your own, and react better and more quickly to moves that they try to make in secret, such as the entire team running through the forest to drop one of your turrets or killing Dragon/Baron.

Attachment 212017
Example of how LoS affects wards

4) Misconceptions: What Warding is and Isn't
After perusing the forums for a while, I have noticed that there are several misconceptions floating around about warding. I will attempt to address these here. Most of these are discussed in more detail in sections 5 and 6, "Who Should Ward" and "When and Where to Ward" respectively.

Wards are cheap
I hear this one all the time. Wards are NOT cheap, unless you need to buy only 1 or 2 a game. They are, however, well worth the gold when used properly. The last thing you want to do is gimp yourself by buying too many wards and/or not using them properly.

Wards make me 1337
No, I'm sorry they do not. Proper use of them do make you a better player and greatly benefits your team, but just slapping them on the map somewhere does not make you "pro".

Wards win games
Okay, I know I'm going to have a lot of people disagree with me on this one but hear me out. First, I should admit I am being a bit nit-picky here. I believe that proper use of wards wins games (you may notice a theme going on here), not that placing wards themselves win games. By "proper use" I am referring to things like placing them in locations that maximize their utility and knowing how and when to capitalize on the extra map awareness that wards give you. For example (a mid ELO example): You see a Master Yi going to take down Dragon thanks to that ward you placed by Dragon (You did place one there right?). However, ganking him means you would lose your bottom tower. Knowing which is the better choice is what I consider "proper use" of wards. (The right choice in this case would depend on how that game was going, such as if Master Yi has a kill streak, and where all the players on the map are.)

Only tanks and support should buy wards (and/or carries never should)
First of all, just a little bit of common sense says this isn't true. How is your tank supposed to tank if he/she can't afford the proper tanking items due to spending it all on wards? (This excludes Alistar ) Typically support champions don't need much by way of items, but even they need a few here and there. As for the second part of the argument, that carries should never buy wards, let me ask you this: Do carries benefit from wards? (HINT: the answer is yes.) If a ward prevents a carry's death or gives him/her a kill (or even an assist) then it was worth it, especially if the carry is using snowball items (which you really shouldn't be, but that's a whole other discussion). Warding responsibility needs to be spread across the entire team. That said, tanks and supports do need to shoulder much more of the responsibility for warding than a carry does. See section 5 "Who Should Ward" for more information.

5) Who Should Ward
In short, the answer to this question is "everyone". Warding responsibility should be spread across the entire team. However, some champion roles require they take more responsibility for warding than others. Here I list the various champion roles and how they should buy wards (in order from most wards to least wards):

Roamers
Roamers love wards. They allow them to gank enemies more effectively and prevent enemies from ganking them. Your roamer and/or support will be "coughing-up-the-cash" for most of the wards before mid-game. Roamers are champions such as Alistar or Janna who don't need very many items to effectively do their jobs and can therefore afford purchasing many wards. (NOTE: It appears that the roamer meta-game is dying or already dead.)

Support Champions
Your support champions should be purchasing the most wards of anyone on the team (excluding Roamers) as well as spending the money on buying an Oracle’s for destroying the enemies' wards. This is because many support champions are not dependant on items to effectively do their job.

Tanks
The tank is likely going to be buying the second most wards of anyone on the team (excluding Roamers). The reason for this is that gold spent on (most) tanks does not scale as well for utility to the team as it does for other member of the team. Tanks also tend to be able to do their job well with limited items, which is good since you won't have a lot of gold. The last statement is not quite as true at lower ELO levels (like the one I'm in) since team fights tend to consist of the tanks standing in the middle of the other team for about two hours while the rest of the team tries to decide if they should actually do something (/cynicism). It also depends on who your tank is. For example: Alistar doesn't even need tank items if the team fight can be completed during the duration of his ult and Rammus gets lots of extra Armor and MR from his DBC, while Amumu might need an extra item or two to achieve the same tankiness.

Junglers
Junglers love wards because they help them gank more effectively and safely as well as prevent the opposing team from stealing their vital buffs. Junglers will be buying a few wards, perhaps even starting with one, but not nearly as many as the support and tank champions.

Carries & Casters
These are the team members who should buy wards most infrequently. This is because they need to be able to deal out as much damage as possible and kill as many of the opposing team's members as possible. Their gold is generally best spent on items to increase their killing power. However, mid to late game they may need to contribute a little to the team effort of warding, especially if a key location is unwarded and the primary warders will not be able to reach it for a while.

Special Cases / Exceptions
There are, of course, some exceptions to the above guidelines. Some champions like Mordekaiser are very, very good at farming. Hence they will usually have more gold to spend on wards than the rest of their team and should generally take more responsibility for warding than their roles would normally call for.

6) When and Where to Ward
NOTE: All images in this section assume that you are playing on blue team (bottom-left). This is important for comparing offensive warding vs. defensive warding.

6a) Warding Based on Game Time
NOTE: You may want to grab a sandwich or take a nap before you begin reading this section. If you thought the previous sections were long, wait until you see this one. At least it has a bunch of pretty pictures.

Okay, so if you actually read all of the sections before this, then you should know why you should ward and what each team member's responsibilities are regarding warding. Now I'm going to cover when you should ward and where you should place your wards for best effect. Note that all levels given are based on 2v2 lanes, not junglers or solo lanes unless specified. Also note that you should not be placing wards at every specified location, with the exception of the early-game placement locations. This would result in an obscene amount of wards and a colossal waste of gold.

Early Game (approx. levels 1-10, the laning phase)
You should buy very few wards during this stage of the game, if any at all. Proper spending of gold during this phase is crucial to controlling your lane and getting kills/not dying. You only should buy 1, or maybe 2, wards if you are having a problem seeing incoming ganks or if a stealth champion is giving you problems. The only exception I make to this is when the other team has a good jungler who can take Dragon around level 6 such as Shaco or Warwick. I personally would not buy any wards before the opposing players in your lane or their jungler/assassin is level 6, but this depends on your play style, champion, lane partner, opposing team's champions in the same lane, etc. Mostly you will determine when you need wards early just by playing a lot. (NOTE: Higher ELO brackets will be buying wards much sooner, as early as level 1.)

For good placement locations during this phase, see the image provided below.

Attachment 212037

Mid Game (approx. levels 11-15, the pushing, "tower toppling", and gank squad phase)
This is probably when you will be doing most of your warding. This is when gank squads start forming up and it is very important to be able to avoid them. Wards also help the team react quicker to the opposing team grouping up to take down a tower. I generally don't recommend placing wards past the zone where the other team still has at least 2 towers standing (aside from buff locations), but this depends on the game, sometimes it is useful to do so. Key warding locations during this phase are:

- Near buffs
- Near gank-friendly locations by your remaining towers
- Near Dragon
- Near Baron Nashor (generally only higher ELO)
- In the river

Note that you may need to ward Baron Nashor before the end of this phase if the other team has plenty of damage output and at least one person with fairly high tankiness.

Attachment 212039

Late Game (approx. levels 16-18, the end game phase)
In my experience, ganking happens a little less often during this phase and it consists more of team fights than anything else, but it is perhaps the most crucial phase to ward in. While you will likely be too busy defending/pushing to lay down very many wards, they are still very important. In many games, losing a single person to a gank during this phase can cost you the game. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that you keep key locations and chokepoints warded as best you can without being detrimental to your team by not being there when they need you. In other words, don't go off warding while the other team drops a tower and kills 3 of your teammates. Key warding locations during this phase are:

- Near buffs
- Near gank-friendly locations by your remaining towers
- Near Dragon
- Near Baron Nashor
- In the river

Attachment 212039

You should note that ward placement shifts depending on which team is "winning" and what towers are down. If your team is on the defensive, with all your towers outside your base down and the other team still has their inner towers up (or worse, they haven't lost any towers yet!), don't waste time and money warding over in their forest. You're not going to get over there until your team manages to kill most of them and get a good push in. Even worse, if they have wards in their forest this will likely get you killed. Under these circumstances, the only time I consider this worth the effort is if you have a good backdoor champion on your team. If they have teleport they can teleport to the ward, or if not, it will let them know when a gank is coming as they backdoor so they can get out in time.

If the positions are reversed in the above scenario and your team is winning, you shouldn't need to place quite as many wards in your forest. You will probably still want a couple at key locations to prevent back-dooring and buff stealing, but it isn't quite as important as warding their forest since your should be spending most of your time over by their base. Here’s an example image of the zone control given by towers in regard to the forest (taken from my upcoming Zone Control guide):

Attachment 212031

I should stress that you absolutely do NOT want to be waltzing around in the forest warding and chatting with Little Red Riding Hood when your team is pinned under one of your towers defending, or if they are pushing a tower and could really use your help. As always, there are exceptions to this but they are rare. You definitely do not want to be chatting with Little Red Riding Hood if the other team has a Warwick because he has a hidden passive that lets him always know where Red is, especially if he has that custom skin...

Also don't re-ward areas if the current wards haven't run out yet, unless it is close to expiring and neither you nor your allies will be able to get back to that area for a while. And finally, to wrap up this section, here are a few times you probably shouldn't be buying wards unless you are a support or tank:

- Early game, with certain exceptions (see the Early Game section above for an explanation)

- When you are stuck in your base with an inhibitor or two down and the other team is absolutely thrashing you. You may want to ward Baron Nashor so you can try to steal it or take advantage of the (possibly) weak state they will be in from trying to kill it. Even if you can take them, the gank will probably fail since they will undoubtedly notice that you all disappeared from within your base even though there is a lane or two of super-minions pouring into it. You may also want to ward the forest just outside of your base, but this depends on the game.

- When buying wards would prevent you from getting a critical item in your build during that trip to your base. Examples of such items would be IE for AD champs and RoA for AP champs. Generally you should just wait to pill until you have enough to get both that item and wards, but depending on the situation that may not be possible (low health, etc.) or it may just be better to skip the ward. RoA is a particularly good example of this because the earlier you get it, the better it is (up to a certain point). Snowball items can also fall under this category if you are doing well, you really don't want to be getting kills/assists that don't power up your snowball item (though it is still better than no kills/assists at all. Did I mention that you shouldn't be using snowball items already?).

6b) Optimal Ward Placement
Now for the best part: warding optimally. Note that when I refer to ward locations as “Optimal”, I am not necessarily referring to the optimal placement for utility in a game as that can change based on many factors. Instead, I am referring to placement that maximizes the amount of vision you have. Keep this in mind when warding, as what I have marked as “optimal” may not be optimal for the game you are playing. As usual, this gets better with practice, the positions I have marked make excellent ward locations until you get a feel for the best locations based on game factors.

Attachment 212038

If you have any questions about why some bad or situational positions marked as so, please refer to the next section “Ward Location Explanations”. Also, I should note that all locations marked as bad locations are acceptable to ward if it prevents your noob teammates from dying. Otherwise, stay away from them.

I have mentioned before that you do not want to attempt to ward every “good” or “optimal” location as this will be a colossal waste of gold. Since it may be difficult for players new to warding to determine which locations must be locked down with wards, I decided to make a map that shows minimal warding locations. These are the locations I feel should be warded at all times if it is safe to do so and you have the gold to spare.

Attachment 212041

I selected these locations because they give vision of key chokepoints at the river, buffs, and both Dragon and Baron. It is only 10 wards and should generally be feasible for teams to do, assuming they are properly distributing warding responsibility.

An optimal warding section wouldn’t be complete without a few images showing how to properly place wards at the locations I marked, some of them are easy to place and others require paying attention to place them where they can maximize their viewing area.

Attachment 212022

Attachment 212021
Placing the ward as far left as possible while remaining in the bush maximizes the visible area.

Attachment 212024
Notice how this ward also gives view of the Elder Lizard den? This is a tricky one to place, as there is a very small area you can place it where it provides both vision of the bush and the lizard den; if you mess up and can’t see the lizard den then this ward is almost useless. It also does not provide vision of the bush just to the right of the den that many players like to pull the lizard into, but provides a more useful viewing range with no overlap of other areas, hence why it is marked as optimal and that bush is marked as merely “good”. Remember how I mentioned that good locations may end up being your optimal locations depending on the game? This is a prime example, since it may be better to ward the closer bush. Honestly, the two locations are almost a toss-up, so use whichever you feel to be better or easier.

Attachment 212029
Here’s an example of proper in the bush next to the lizard den.

Attachment 212020
Here’s a bad example for ward placement, this one is too close to the inside wall and doesn’t cover the entire lizard den.

Attachment 212027

Attachment 212028
Similar to other images, placing a ward as close to the edge of the bush as possible will maximize your viewing area. Similar to the ward by the Elder Lizard buff, it is most important that this ward reveal the Elder Golem den. Note that the “good” ward located directly above this area can be placed so it also covers the golem den. It will not provide vision of the bush many players like to pull the golem into, but may be more useful than this location due to closer vision of the river area.

Attachment 212030
You can shift this one anywhere in the “Y” shaped brush to cover more of one of the paths as you sit fit, though I generally find it most useful to leave it directly in the center. This ward is one of the least useful “optimal” locations to ward, many games you won’t even need to bother warding here.

6c) Ward Location Explanations
If you were curious as to why I marked certain locations as bad or situational in the previous section, this section should clarify that. I will show numbered maps containing only the bad wards and the situational wards and explain why I marked them as such.

Attachment 212033

Bad Wards:
1) This is a bad location because if you have wards covering the optimal or good locations, this one should be unnecessary. Also, it is rare to find an enemy who hides in this bush. It is a rather poor location for team positioning and is therefore generally avoided. This doesn’t apply to lower ELO brackets as many players like to sit in the bush because they do not understand proper team positioning, in that case it is acceptable to place a ward there if they have you pushed back to your base.

2) This is bad for the same reason as #1, but even worse since there isn’t even a bush to hide in.

3) It’s generally not useful to have vision on this area.

4) If you have everything properly warded, it should be difficult for enemies to sneak into this bush without you noticing. Only ward here if your noob teammates keep falling for that fiddle…

5) Ah, the favorite ward location for players new to warding and soloing mid. This is a bad location because it gives you very little reaction time and conflicts with the optimal location of the brush a little father in the river. Generally, it’s not that useful to know what your enemies are doing in that brush so much as it is to know that they are there. It may be acceptable to place a ward here if there is a Fiddlesticks or Rammus on the other team as they have obvious animations when they are about to attempt a gank.

6) Same reasons as #5.

7) This is bad for a similar reason as #5, while the reaction part doesn’t really apply anymore the part about not caring what they are doing so much as the fact that they are there still applies.

Attachment 212036

Situational Wards:
1) It is no coincidence I picked a color close to magenta for these wards, they are only useful locations in two cases: First for a pink ward to detect stealthed champions. Secondly, as a ward to teleport to for a team fight that happens right here.

2) Same as #1.

3) Really only useful as a ward to teleport to for back-dooring, since the person with Oracle’s generally doesn’t bother checking this bush.

4) Same as #3.

FootSpaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2011

7) Countering Wards
Countering wards is a crucial part of game play, at least at higher ELOs. It can cause your opponents to waste gold and prevent them from having good map control. Here are a few examples:

- Assume they are there at all times. This may sound silly, but if you always assume the enemy has the forest and river warded, you'll be a lot less likely to be ganked. Not really a true counter, but it reduces their effectiveness some.

- Buy an Oracle's Elixir. You will be able to detect and destroy wards this way. Oracle's may be rather expensive, but you can easily make the other team waste more gold on their wards than your spent on the elixir, plus they no longer have as much map awareness as they used to. In addition, wards provide 25 gold when destroyed; so if you can destroy 16 of them your Oracle's was free! (This is much easier to do if there is a Teemo on the enemy team; your Oracle's Elixir is generally not going to be free, just cheaper.) Note that they will come after you if you do this. (NOTE: Please do not buy Oracle's Elixir if you are a carry unless you absolutely feel you must, it will likely just be wasted gold. Convince your support or tank to buy it instead.)

- Use Vision Wards in key locations like buffs, Dragon and Baron Nashor. This will not only give you a ward of your own there, but if the enemy placed a ward there you can destroy it.

8) Tips and Tricks
While wards are generally used for increased map awareness, there are a couple of interesting uses for them that don't involve only the vision aspects. I'll list a couple of them here (much shorter since they removed the ability to jump to them):

- Teleporting to them so you can backdoor a tower quickly, gank someone nearby, or turn an even team fight into one stacked in your favor. (NOTE: The arrival teleportation animation/particle effect is invisible when teleporting to wards, unless they have Magical Sight of that area. This essentially makes it look like you popped out of no-where, great for ganking.)

- Be wary of enemy wards and other ward-like objects (such as Shaco's JiTB, Teemo's Shrooms, etc.) that may give you away when warding.

- Wards have a placement range. This allows you to do things like place them over walls.

9) Summary
I hope you are only reading this if you read the rest of the guide, because if not you are missing a lot of information. I can't say as how I could blame you though, this guide is extremely long. Anyway, I have a list of some of the more important information placed into nice bullet points for you here:

- Tanks and support champions are not the only ones who need to buy wards, though they need to buy more than most other roles. Carries may need to buy wards, though not as much as a tank or support.

- Junglers, roamers and support champions will likely be the only ones buying wards early game.

- Super-Farmers like Mordekaiser usually need to take more of the warding responsibility than their role normally would specify.

- In general, warding responsibility goes like so (in order of who should be buying the most wards from left-to-right): Roamer >> Support >> Tank >> Jungler >> Carry

- Don't buy too many wards and be smart about when you purchase them.

- You should look at the pictures in section 6, "When and Where to Ward" so you know proper warding placement.

- If you are too lazy to do the above, at least follow this rule: "When in doubt, place the ward in a bush". Just make you don't face-check that bush or you might run into Garen (or a Teemo Shroom or JiTB). Also ward buffs, Dragon, and Baron Nashor.

- Don't re-ward areas until your current wards run out, unless it's very close to expiring and neither you nor your allies will be able to get back to that area for a while.

10) Credits
Here's everyone who helped me, corrected my mistakes, provided extra input/clarification, or I simply borrowed information from:

- Riot Games, for making such an awesome game.

- Ryze Bot and Nunu Bot for being such great teammates during my placement of wards. (The old bots, before they updated the AI.)

- Sivir Bot, Ryze Bot, Soraka Bot, Nunu Bot, and Alistar Bot for letting me destroy them so I had enough gold to place wards. (The old bots, before they updated the AI.

- Eagleshadow, from the EU League of Legends. He provided the awesome Summoner's Rift map that I used to show proper ward placement. You can get it (and thank him) here.

- Labenthal, for helping me verify a few of the finer mechanics of wards.

11) Future Additions
This section lists additions that I may add at some point in the future if I feel there is enough interest in them:

- Twisted Treeline ward placement guide.
- Magma Chamber ward placement guide (assuming this map ever comes out).
- Video Guide

12) Change Log
- 7/4/2011: Updated guide from original draft (it was almost a year old).

FootSpaz

07-05-2011

Reserved 1

FootSpaz

07-05-2011

Reserved 2

FootSpaz

07-05-2011

Reserved 3

ForGoodMeasure

07-06-2011

Wow, this is awesome! I included your post in my thread http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ne+should+read.

P.S. I think you missed some links, you have a couple of places where you say "here" as if there should be a link, but there isn't.

FootSpaz

07-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmpBlast View Post
Wow, this is awesome! I included your post in my thread http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ne+should+read.

P.S. I think you missed some links, you have a couple of places where you say "here" as if there should be a link, but there isn't.
Thanks for the post-back, I'm glad you found the guide useful. I must admit I'm just a tad surprised you read the entire thing, it seems that most people fall into the "faint of heart" category and don't read it when they realize how long it is. Oh well, they're just missing out.

And thanks for pointing out the missing links, it has been fixed now.

Micre

07-06-2011

I understood most of this, but it was nice to see where the exact locations for excellent warding are. Thank you for the time and effort. Now I just need to get my roommate to read this.

necaremus

07-06-2011

i disagree to #7 "bad" wards.

i would call that location "situational early/mid-game" ward placement.

for example: if your enemy in that lane loves to hide in that brush, you can sneak-attack him, turning the tables around. very usefull on vayne for example: a ward there = free pin against the wall.

moreover, if you are using teleport on 1-2 of your solo lanes, you can set up a tp gank with that ward.

placing a ward in that location is less for general map control, but you can get kills with it

tumultuoustempus

07-06-2011

Amazing, well thought out, and well written. Great job!

The only thing I take issue with, like the poster above me, is that you call the bushes in lane (the ones of the very edge of the map, your "#7") "bad wards." In the 2v2 lane especially, warding these bushes can provide amazing zoning ability for your duo. It can often net you a free kill on unsuspecting opponents, and even once they know the ward is there, the fact that it is there provides a great psychological advantage, even once it expires. Finally, wards in these bushes are a great spot for another team member to teleport to, as they can hang out for a minute while everyone gets in position to gank.

Overall, though, excellent job. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Sticky worthy for sure!