LF Up2Date Kassadin Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kigrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2012

Guide for actually playing him, not a build. Bonus points if you throw in a Cass guide.

Rubidium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

I've played like 20 games with kassadin and heres what I can give you.

Summoner spells: Flash, ignite, teleport, cleanse and maybe exhaust clarity or ghost are all viable
options. Dont take something useless like revive or heal. I take cleanse and teleport.
I am assuming you build him AP, as DPS Kassadin is extremely rare.

Heres the actual guide.
First, you wanna lane against the enemies AP carry. Why? Cuz Kassadin is anti-mage. He has a silence and his passive reduces magic damage by 15% and makes it into attack speed. That is good.
Level 1-2 you are WEAK. You can easily get screwed over in an exchange by whoever your laning against. Still, try to last hit minions and use your Q to last hit if you need to. If your playing against a good agressive player in lane, it might be gamer over with last hits for you.
Level 3 You should have 2 points in null sphere and you can use it to harass. Dont neglect last hitting. Farm, farm farm.
Level 6: You have riftwalk, a very strong utility spell but very expensive in mana. Use it carefully. If the enemy is low on health you can consider Riftwalking on to them, Q'ing them then E'ing them and hit W (If you took a point in it already, i usually take a point in it at level 7) and smack them to death. Otherwise the mana cost is too high.

Mid game: Go around ganking squishies and overextenders. To do this, jump onto them with riftwalk and E them and Q them (or the other way round) then hit W and smack them to death. When idling, you can use W to charge up your Force pulse (E). You are also a strong 1v1 duelist by silencing AP carries, E'ing them then smacking them to death with your W. Use Riftwalk to engage and leave fights. To towerdive someone, walk up to them when the turret is shooting something like a minion, Q, E, then riftwalk out. Always think about whether you want to
Remember to use riftwalk to go over walls when escaping.

a) Riftwalk onto someone and attack them then walk away
OR
b) Walk into someone, attack them then riftwalk away.

In teamfights, you want to be jumping around the fight with riftwalk and using your force pulse to decimate the enemy, then screw the squishy carry.

Tips:
Do not neglect autoattacking. You are a mage, but your W gives you a fearsome autoattack, as well as your passive.

Your W can let you drill down turrets and inhibitors faster.
Riftwalking onto someone does damage. You can use this to finish enemies.

Juan Deeg

01-15-2012

Everything OctaneDragon said is pretty good. The only point I differ on is about auto-attacking. It really depends on the situation, but for the most part, you probably don't want to be auto-attacking unless you know you can get the kill. The point of Q and E is that you can silence and slow the enemy mage, allowing you to escape before they counter-attack and damage you. If you spend your time auto-attacking them afterwards instead of retreating, you are wasting your escape time and allowing them to use their spells on you.

A couple of other points I'd like to make. Personally, I take ignite and tele or flash as summoner spells. Ignite gives you good early game damage that can help get you early kills. While flash may seem repetitive, as you already have Riftwalk, it is not, as it allows you an escape method if you decide to Riftwalk in as Riftwalk will then be on cooldown.

Once you are level 6, you should be very aware of situations going on in top or bottom lane (assuming you are mid). Kassadin is an excellent ganker as he can come out of nowhere with Riftwalk and silence and slow, leaving your enemies helpless to escape as they will not be able to flash away.

I usually start with boots for early game kiting, as early game is your most vulnerable time, and then rush RoA for good AP, Health, and Mana, which are all necessities in my opinion.

My skill order is QEQEQRWEQERQEWWRWW
This sequence maximizes early game damage. The W at level 7 allows you to get your E up more often so that it is ready when you need it.

Also remember that using Riftwalk consecutively increases the damage that it deals. This means that late game when you have a lot of mana, or if you have blue buff, you can stack it to do more damage than your opponents realize and can catch them by surprise.

Rubidium

01-15-2012

For autoattacking I meant to finish off enemies. Not to exchange.

jjjnmk

01-16-2012

I agree with the other two people...mostly. W also gives you mana return for autoattacking. I usually get this second, so I can harass the enemy with my Q, and not run out of mana so quickly as I can just last hit some minions to get it back up again. I almost never autoattack when fighting someone UNLESS I know I can finish them off with a hit, and they aren't running away from me for some reason. Usually, I'll burst someone down with my Q, E, and then I can riftwalk at them (chase and do damage) to finish them off.

I love kassadin

skillpatrick

01-16-2012

What do you guys use for a build? I just bought him and haven't really been able to come up with much.

Rubidium

01-17-2012

@skillpatrick, rush catalyst, sorc boots, build catalyst into roa then get rabadons. If enemy team is ad heavy I get zhonyas, if they are AP heavy I get abyssal scepter or banshees veil. If they are building MR I get a void staff, and if im stomping hard I get a mejais. If enemy team is building hp get a deathfires grasp. You can also consider Morello's or lich bane if you find yourself hitting dudes in between spells.

Tl;dr build him Ap (dps kassadin also exists, but AP kass is recommended)

Crazyflames

01-17-2012

I would get a rank of W second or fourth (depending on when you want E), it gives 30 damage on hit for 5 seconds for VERY little mana and lets you stack E much faster.

I would agree playing AP, AD takes quite a while to learn how to play and they are about the same effectiveness, changing depending on where you are in the game.

Misticaltom

01-17-2012

I"ll disagree with the don't auto attack notion, your W also scales with AP and can really dish out a decent amount of damage, don't underestimate it, while you won't want to be running into a Tryndamere or Vayne, the auto attack gives you an advantage against other mages, as you can still deal damage after the combo, and you don't need to run away, you Riftwalk away.

Lets add in that Kass has a weak early game, do not be building Dorans rings and try to take advantage ofthe early game, just jump right into building for late game.

Your whole R Q E Combo is really strong, and can be used to push the enemy out of lane, regardless of how deadly that Malz in mid is, if you can deal your whole combo on him before he can react, you're in a good spot.

Don't forget, you can get in and out of fights easier than most champions, but not untill you ge tthe ult.

Take Cleanse as a summoner spell, it allows you to break CC's needed to riftwalk away, same as when a Trynd takes Cleanse to get away, this is your insurance.

Kigrax

01-19-2012

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I've played with him for a while and recently did an in-depth write up about my thoughts on him.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1725588