How to win on warwick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kalarepa

01-15-2012

I didn't say, he's the king of 1v1. He's just very strong at it and it's much harder to escape from him than from Olaf.

GANGBANGARANG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

I play a ****load of WW and have a stupidly high winrate with him. 21/9/0 or x/21/x are strong on him, it really depends on how you want to build him and the comp you're going up against. I typically play 9/21/0 with exhaust/ignite or sometimes ghost/exhaust (getting to the point faster vs rammus for example), aspd/%arpen masteries (hear me out here, I know this is going to be the unpopular choice), aspd reds/quints, armor yellows, mr/lvl blues. Start boots/prosector blade/2 pots. QQWEQR, whether you level W or E first will depend on 1) whether you can easily win 1v1s (if you need more dps output and autoattack sustain, go W) and 2) how many autoattack-reliant champions are top with you (if you and at least 1 more heavily autoattack reliant champion like kogmaw or xin, or two somewhat autoattack reliant champions like wukong and lee sin are top, go W). Don't get me wrong, maxing E is a huge buff to the range and movespeed increase, working like a permahaste during any periods of team battles, but W is equally huge in boosting your team's damage output and winning fights outnumbered. If I have a Vayne and Xin (for example) with me at level 10 defending a point vs. 4, it's an easy victory. Popping W and then ulting someone who comes out of position is an instant kill, and our sustained dps and lifesteal-based sustain is very high.

I build WW almost entirely tanky. Your job as Warwick is to run up to people, use Q on cooldown, and autoattack to damage them and heal yourself. WW played aggressively enough should attract a lot of damage but built defensively enough should never die. Your autottacks are a huge part of your sustain both through your passive (which increases at levels 7 and 13) and through lifesteal which you may or may not get. Your passive alone is a significant sustain boost, and combined with your Q, ult, and heavy defensive stats, you should become very hard to kill.

Your Q scales on its own very well throughout the game and scales best with CDR, and not at all with AP until you get several hundred of it. Yes you can get sorc boots to bonus the damage, but that means not getting merc treads or ninja tabi which are stupidly strong for the cost. I get merc treads most of the time since time spent in CC is time not spent healing... but against 3 AD tabi become very strong. I also like getting Frozen Heart (probably in 80-85% of my games I get it as my first major item) so the extra armor and dodge from tabi isn't as significant as MR for midgame itemization. Wit's End is great on Wick, I'll get it typically if they have 2 burst AP. Armor is generally more important for WW than MR since he wants to be able to dive towers freely (initiating on a point 2v1 and 1 of them in the bushes is a common situation, being able to ult and burst down the one one so it becomes 2v1 while you ignore the tower is a huge asset) and sustained damage is more of an issue for his tanky ass than burst. Even so, Wit's End gives him all the stats he wants (great on-hit damage, great attack speed for sustain and dps, high MR that's easy to maintain) so I'll often get it after f.heart unless they have 0-1 AP.

Other good items for wick... Spirit Visage is a good choice if you feel a little too squishy for Wit's End. HP, CDR, and MR are all very good stats on him. Keep in mind that even with Merc Treads, Wit's End, and SV, you'll have just around the MR to match F.Heart's obscene armor. If they have way more AD, I'll get a Thornmail, maybe an Omen, maybe Sunfire, maybe Fratma. WW has a ****load of build options and being able to switch to what you need for any given situation is one of his strongest assets. He should be built first and foremost to SURVIVE. If you initiate on a 4v4 and you live 20 seconds but die to their last survivor, you should build even tankier. As WW you play recklessly and aggressively... your aggression is your sustain.

A WW who has built to counter your team comp will be able to 1v1 you and heal as much as you damage him. He will be able to run around a teamfight, forcing you off of the squishy, and leaping onto your most vulnerable target to pin him in place. Pray that nobody on your team falls below 50% hp because then his rocket boots will activate and he turns into a ****ing pinball with unsurpassed mobility. He's like Ryze in that he can build like a tanky mother****er and still deal high damage (not nearly as high as Ryze, but he's more mobile and supports/sustains far better)

His weaknesses are: No AoE (unless you go ionic spark which is meh on him in my opinion), ignite hurts him badly (but not as much as you think), low overall potential damage output (even built fully for DPS, someone like Kog or Kayle would do significantly more with the same levels and items).

His strengths are: Hybrid damage, incredibly heavy sustain, very versatile build paths, supports allied autoattackers, one of the best disables/small fight initiates in the game, incredible 1v1er, high mobility, good poke. a choice point defender and point assaulter.

As far as items I'd get, here's my typical priority

Prospector's Blade + Boots + 2pot
1st major item - Glacial Shroud (80%), Spirit Visage (15%), Wit's End (5%)
Boots Upgrade (Merc Treads 70%, Tabi 20%, Mobility/Zerker/Other 10%)
(If glacial shroud, will typically upgrade to F.Heart now or after 2nd major item)
2nd major item - SV (50%), Wit's End (20%), Thornmail (5%), Other (Phage => Triforce or Mallet=>Atma, Stark's and/or BC for an AD-heavy team, Negatron => Odyn's or FoN, Aegis, Sunfire, Warden's Mail => Omen, Brutalizer => Ghostblade, Bloodrazor, Ionic Spark, Lightbringer, Shurelya, Sanguine Blade)

Typically a game will be over after I have Prospector's blade, FH, SV, and Boots2. Sometimes I'll be able to get a few thousand more gold than that and I just build entirely situationally. Sometimes I try out new builds, but this is what works.

Oh yeah, my mastery choices. SO MUCH of your damage and sustain as warwick top in dominion is based on autoattacks. You have to be fearless, go in, Q, autoattack until it's up again, Q, and then decide if you can stick or have to run. His real niche in Dom is being able to 1v1 almost anyone and even if he loses, bring them close enough to death that he can run away with ease. Warwick cheats death like a mother****er. Having the bonus attack speed from marks, quints, and masteries makes him able to squeeze out his autoattacks that much faster. His Q is better poke, for sure, and depending on the comp I'll go CDR/mpen, focus on whoring lightning buffs, and *maybe* going sorc shoes... but rarely will that be more useful than being able to 1v1 pretty much anyone and come out with more hp than you went in with. Sometimes I'll try to fit the extra 5 or a few more into offensive, but I feel like I'm losing more from the defensive tree than I'm gaining.

Narog

01-15-2012

you sure you dont wanna mercury ?

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugs From Momma View Post
Needs more Malady.

Wit's End is a damage item.
Lol what?

Wit's End is a defense-oriented damage item, Malady is an offensive-oriented damage item.

Wit's End is better than Malady on Tankywick

ProSauce VT

01-15-2012

Quote:
*cough* Olaf *cough*

WW is not quite the king of 1v1
*second cough* Irelia *second cough*

Bonabon

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastatio Tactics View Post
*second cough* Irelia *second cough*
You're right, better nerf her.

FDru

01-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmival View Post
Lol what?

Wit's End is a defense-oriented damage item, Malady is an offensive-oriented damage item.

Wit's End is better than Malady on Tankywick
There's no reason to compare them, just get both.