Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tier lists are useless and here's why.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noobs are uss

01-13-2012

Tier lists I thought at one point were useful until I realized that the person making it is almost always 2k rating. This means that while one champion may be amazing for 1200 elk players he sucks in 2000s. An example of this is morde. He is 3-4 tier right now and in 3s he is unstoppable solo lane. Another example is how people play lee sin thinking he's god tier when it says he's god tier jungle not lane. Why listen to a pro when they can't see what the avaerage player sees every game.

Emeraldw

01-13-2012

But a lot of those that are good at high ELO are also really good at low ELO. Graves, Kennen & Xerath are still good at 800 and 2000 ELO.

Further, Tier lists are generally made assuming good/competent players. Otherwise, it would be pointless.

Tyrang

01-13-2012

Don't understand your logic there.....

The tier lists are prolly not perfect but they are good guide to how strong the champs are at the moment. The champs that are strong in the list are strong in any elo.

I think at lower elo ppl actually refer to the tier list more than high elo too.

Emeraldw

01-13-2012

Quote:
Tyrang:

I think at lower elo ppl actually refer to the tier list more than high elo too.

This is actually very, very true.

Because of counter-picking and changing situations at champion select, many champions suddenly go from a bad pick, to a fantastic one. Katarina is a prime example of a bad champion, who gets fantastic in the right place. Veigar too.

SavageWolves

01-13-2012

Quote:
Noobs are uss:
morde. He is 3-4 tier right now and in 3s he is unstoppable solo lane.

You think the game is balanced around 3s? Really?

Not to mention there are a lot of champions that pwn morde's shiny metal rear end.

Gahlo

01-14-2012

The Jungle Tier list is legit because the Jungle is largely unchanging, it's a single position, and is very quantifiable. Elementz teir list isn't necessarily based on power, but how quick somebody is likely to get picked.

That's why you'll see strong champs at lower rankings, because they aren't attractive picks. You don't go Katarina first pick because you'll be counter picked to hell and back, but a 5th pick Kat can be pretty strong depending on opponents team comp.

Honestly, I wish that somebody legit would make a tier list for single positions like Stonewall does for junglers.

Emeraldw

01-14-2012

Quote:
Gahlo:

Honestly, I wish that somebody legit would make a tier list for single positions like Stonewall does for junglers.

Elementz Tier list is actually pretty good about that. Most of those Tier 1 champs are all fantastic laners.