Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BH Immortalis

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Ekols View Post
Hah! Runescape reference. I love it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_yaga

Wtf is runescape?

Cire Umbra

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
It paints her as someone that is more concerned with her appearance rather than being pragmatic, and that's not what you'd expect from a seasoned warrior. It's counter-intuitive to her character. Mages and ranged fighters can afford to wear whatever they want. Melee fighters need to be concerned with protecting themselves.
Maybe she is very cocky in her skills as a warrior and truly doubts someone could cause her harm, thus finds the need to wear full armor meaningless.

Maybe since she rides a rampaging giant boar around the battlefield, full armor impedes her ability to maintain control and steady herself upon its back.

Maybe her fighting style requires movement that won't be restricted by the bulkiness of full protection.

There are reasons other than "Se>< sells".

PloxBox

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Umm....Baba Yaga existed long before Runescape....
My apologies then. The only time I've ever heard it was from Runescape, sooooooooo thanks for the Down vote someone.

EDIT: Also, thank you, Immortalis, for linking me to someplace that informed me of Baba Yaga, instead of just telling me I've missed the mark.

Kiddalee

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBirhan View Post
girls go out in skirts during winter ALL the time. Welcome to the nightclub scene in winter canada!
Those girls ride in buses and cars. Trust me, the ones who walk wear actual clothing and change in the bathroom.

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

1) The majority of horseback riders are skinny, male and female but especially female. I used to work at a stables in Arizona, and believe me the women were skinny as poles. Yes, they had intense core muscles- but those didn't change their skinniness, and you really could only see them when they were riding. Let's be honest: you can't tell whether or not the new champion has a six-pack or not from that picture. tl;dr: She isn't unrealistic, just doesn't wear much clothes.

2) I think you are severely over stating the size of breast of quite a few champions. Many, like Caitlyn, Irelia, LeBlanc, Lux, Morgana, and Vayne have perfectly normal sized breasts for their body type. Are their body types themselves unrealistic? Perhaps. But not really, or at least not by much- and to be perfectly frank, theirs is a body type many women should prefer to the feminist-endorsed BBW stereotype which is not really all that health for the woman. No, I'm not advertising emaciation, but for crying out loud being big does not mean being beautiful, and there's a reason skinny is considered beautiful in many cultures- because it is healthy, and that leads to positive connotations. A healthy wife is someone who can be with you for all your days- a larger wife, who has more likelihood of high cholesterol and blood pressure among a thousand other problems, is much less durable. tl;dr: League of Legends women, with some exceptions (and maybe 5 exceptions is certainly not unreasonable) are realistic and reasonable.

3) Don't say that gender is an issue here. We have Ezreal, who is widely acclaimed for being easily confused between a tomboy and a legit guy, we have more male than female yordles, 90% of the "evil" characters (there's Morgana on the female side, and then Malzahar, the void creatures, Vladimir, the Noxian people, Shaco, Nocturne, Mordekaiser just to name a few on the male side), and then there are the unreasonable male characters: basically Pantheon, Kassadin, Nasus, Master Yi, etc who all have perfect bodies. So basically, male is just as messed up as female- don't go complaining about the female characters pretending they get all the stereotypes, because just as many if not more occur on the female end.

tl;dr: On the whole, Riot has done an amazing job keeping gender reasonably balanced and keeping the models for the characters rational and translatable to the real world, especially for a video game, and no one really has the right to complain.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

Quote:
As Viktor says, "Function over form." Sejuani's "armor" doesn't serve any function whatsoever. It paints her as someone that is more concerned with being sexy than being pragmatic, and that's not what you'd expect from a seasoned warrior. It's counter-intuitive to her character. Mages and ranged fighters can afford to wear whatever they want. Melee fighters need to be concerned with protecting themselves.
Talk to Tryndamere first then since he existed long before Sejuani.

It's a game. Visual appeal far out-prioritize useless details such as "realistic fasion". Look at all the belts and buckles on Kingdom Hearts character. Practical? No. Badass as hell? Yes.

Let's be honest here. People aren't complaining about Sejuani's outfit being impractical or unrealistic. They're just offended by a female character having a "perfect" body type and showing off too much skin for their liking.

I quoted "perfect" because it's different for everyone.

PS - Viktor is a literal tool. He's not even human nor does he have any human emotions or mentality. What does an android have use for aesthetics?

Risqtish

Recruiter

01-13-2012

Normally I'm happy with IronStylus' awesome inputs on issues like this, but this time I'm not as appeased as normal. I love Leona because her default is nice and covered (even if it's not full plate =( ) and she has two skins, one which is skimpy and one which is more armoured. That's giving the choice right to the player as how they want to see her.

However with Sejuani, the default is very, very skimpy, and our only option for being more armoured is to go buy one of her skins. I'd be horrified if her third skin was more skimpy, so I'm assuming that's not the case. But I was down right shocked when I was watching the art spotlight and I realised that she wasn't wearing a low cut top at all but a bikini...

But I have seen other frosty ladies with their bellies exposed. (http://www.wowwiki.com/Frost_vrykul -you can scroll to the bottom to see more examples in the "Known Members"). However, the other pieces of their outfits clearly show they are rugged up for warmth. Boots. Skirts-that-are-not-mini-skirts. Warm cloaks. Huge helmets. I'd be really happy if Sejuani was able to rug up a bit more, like her sisters in other games!

HotHit

01-13-2012

The champions have celebrity figures, because in Valoran that's exactly what they are. All of the champions, male or female, are treated as such. I will admit though that Urgot's skanky clothing that shows off his amazing figure and beautifully flawless skin may need toning down a tad, he's just too unrealistically handsome.

CataclysmCrash

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauhel View Post
Sexy has a place. I don't have a problem at all with Miss Fortune's design, for example. But when sexy takes priority over everything else, it's frustrating to those of us who prefer their women to be sensible instead of just sensual. There's nothing wrong with eye candy. There is something wrong when you expect eye-candy every time there is a female champion released.

It makes sense for champions like Ahri and Miss Fortune to be flirtatious. Their clothing fits with their characters. Granted, we don't know anything about Sejauni, and therefor can't judge her character, I'd say her choice in attire adds nothing to her character, and is just fanservice. I don't know any female that would wear what she is wearing in the cold, while riding at high speeds. Women have a lower tolerance for cold.

As Viktor says, "Function over form." Sejuani's "armor" doesn't serve any function whatsoever. It paints her as someone that is more concerned with being sexy than being pragmatic, and that's not what you'd expect from a seasoned warrior. It's counter-intuitive to her character. Mages and ranged fighters can afford to wear whatever they want. Melee fighters need to be concerned with protecting themselves.

I don't have a problem with fanservice unless it gets in the way of things like character development. In this case, I think it does.
This pretty much sums up everything.

I mean, it just makes zero sense for her to be wearing that. She is the leader of an ancient Fjordian Clan, and commands a group of people along with what one can assume many rough viking-esque warriors. For someone to lead such an ensemble, they need to be feared and respected.

Instead, she's in a fur bikini. Moving at high speeds, in the freezing cold. I mean, her enemies would laugh at her, and her viking warriors would rather take turns raping her instead of following her into battle.

Im fine with eye candy, but I mean God ****, just because a girl is wearing clothing and has a chest her spine can support doesn't mean she isn't sexy.

Im not going all "Obese/ugly chicks are beautiful too", Im saying that the average Joe should still find a woman with an hourglass figure wearing like a coat or furs appealing.

The Patriarchy

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by master bruce View Post
i dont mind some cute loli champs (not yordels)
example would be

http://calamitousintents.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/moe-1940-fate_stay_night-ikegami_akane-illyasviel_von_einzbern-type_moon.jpg

i cant upload it for some reason so ya just gonna give u link
delicious flat chests..