Sejuani and female champs

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raptoreyes

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Caxton View Post
I understand how limiting it must be (in all champ design) to create characters with distinctive models in game.

However, I feel there are multiple female body types that could be considered "unique", even at a distance.

They could even still be attractive.

One example is creating a champ with the idealized female form from the renaissance era (like the "Birth of Venus"). They could dress her up in a toga and give her a long spear like Athena.

Sorry Resistance style females only work in environments where people are underfed. Male perception of beauty and female too can be pushed from thin to fat via calorie restriction over longish periods of time. However the moment you start feeding people a plenitude of meat and high calorie value per oz food.... beauty tends to migrate to what we have today. So the fat female tends to be a beauty ideal only in societies that have periodic famines. YUCK!

YurdleTheTurtle

01-13-2012

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding.

For those who want more 'realistic' or 'less exaggerated' bodies, this does not mean that want regular joes milling about in the game.

It also does not mean game designers should conform to the other extreme and create very unattractive characters.

As IronStylus pointed out, they have to deal with all of issues in art, mostly with keeping it in line with game design so no matter what goes on, players will be able to read each character easily.

The problem is that you can actually make more 'realistic' characters WITHOUT conforming to extremes and WITHOUT going out of line in terms of game design.

For example, in the case of Sejuani, you don't have to make her look male or fat. If skin must be shown, you can go the Shyvana route and give her some armour pieces that do not destroy her figure and what-not.
Here's another example: http://images.wikia.com/soulcalibur/images/a/a4/HildeSC4.jpg (see attachment below).
Right there, we have Hilde, an attractive female character who is wearing something. and actually fits in a fighting game. Even better, you don't even have to go the Leona route and cover them with this much armour.

What I'm saying is that is it's possible to avoid thin models with bikini-armour, and actually be able to still make attractive, appealing female characters. I think Sejuani would look absolutely awesome he she was wearing more than just what is basically a bikini...in harsh Arctic-like environments...And I don't mean she needs to be covered head-to-toe.
That said, it all depends on the artists and lore, so I never actually truly hate any champions that are released based on looks. Tryndamere's a barbarian and runs around shirtless, and perhaps something similar can occur with Sejuani, who hates Ashe and will likely reflect her polar opposite through her looks as well.

There are some who raise the issue of the same thing in male characters (if complain about females, why accept males?) Well, the thing is, as the OP mentioned, males are more acceptable because they actually have a variety of body types in League.

Zkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2012

I just realized that the funniest aspect of this whole debate is that Sejuani is probably the "female boar" champion that Ezreal was talking about in his @Ezreal thread.

Way to mislead and let down Riot. I love you guys but you've got some communication "flaws."

MileyCyrusBAKING

01-13-2012

i want irelia in a bikini

Deedsie

01-13-2012

We still have idiots referring to Kayle as "he".

Raptoreyes

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraind View Post
I'd be completely understanding if a bear-riding, flail wielding (a flail of exceptionally long length, to be specific) princess of the wilds had a look like, say, She-Hulk (who isnt un-attractive at the same time).

To nitpick, she couldnt possibly whip-crack a flail of that length.
The Flail is a carbon copy of the one the Witch King of Agamar used in Lord of the Rings the Return of the King. Fast forward to the scene just after the ghosts basically win the battle for Gondor. Normally impractical weapons like that one are always their to suggest more then a bit of magic held by the wielder... all the more so when its a woman with arms that should only be able to comfortably, handle a Roman style medium sword at most. Remember that Magic gives fantasy a licence to be impractical and that is part of why people like it.

Raptoreyes

01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileyCyrusNAKED View Post
i want irelia in a bikini
Riot a skin along those lines would be a good idea. Even if a bit of genetic material gets spilled over a cartoon character as a result.

Black Phoenix

01-13-2012

i am with you op..

Unfortunately you are getting down voted by all those 16 yo boys who have never seen a real woman..

Quren

01-13-2012

I support this. Sejuani would look much more bad ass as a super butch lady.

Edit: @IronStylus I'd like to point out that there is arguably more culture then biology. There are many cultures in the world that think a large woman is attractive, since it means she's wealthy. There's others that don't think breasts are attractive at all, they're purely reproductive. These are just a couple of examples. I'm just a bit disappointed that we don't have a Conan the barbarian style lady, at least she's got some muscle.

Doom Machine

01-13-2012

Her art design doesn't bother me at all if her voice acting and background story depict her as a vicious fighter.

That is what they are going for anyways.