@ riot ranked requirements proposal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blazeise

01-12-2012

Hey Riot, you may know my name from other threads with evalations or ideas that have been implemented. I come to you now with a very serious proposal that will reshape matchmaking in ranked games.

It should be no surprise that there are many people above/below where they belong in solo que. The majority of people that are OVERrated are around the 1200 elo range and simply just have very few games played. The majority of people UNDERrated are in the same brackets. It is notable that there are many gold ranked players from last season that just cannot seem to get out of the 1200-1400 elo bracket.

Well, I'm developing some easy matchmaking cures for this misplacement, because there is nothing more frustrating than being paired with/against teams you don't belong with. Please note that this is not about CHANGING the elo system, but minimizing the chances of you getting a "bad team" which has NO side effects other than positive toward the elo system. I WORKED REALLY HARD TO MAKE CERTAIN THESE IDEAS ARE BALANCED, PLEASE READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION OF THEM ALL BEFORE JUDGING EACH IDEA'S QUALITY

Ranked Game Requirements

This will be an updated list of requirements I, and the community, think there should be for anyone to be eligible for ranked solo que play. NOTE: These rules should NOT apply to summoners who have created a team and wish to join full team ranked games. The reason for this is that although these rules would benefit and protect them from joining games while their skill level is too low, it may be their desire to play competitively immediately with their friends regardless of how much ranking they lose and this should be their choice.

1:Individual Champion Requirement:
A: There is already a requirement on you must own x amount of champions to play ranked, I believe. We need to take this a step further though. For one, this requirement is TOO LOW. Its somewhere around the 4-6 range if I recall, which is entirely too low considering there are 6 bans. So if the player buys 6 of the OP champs, which they should and there are always imba champs, and they get banned, theyre left with nothing they know how to play. I recommend owning 12 champions. **UPDATE** this has been done a few patches ago. Gj Riot. More requirements in subsection C.
B: There should be implemented, a required amount of PLAYTIME on each champion before they can be played in ranked; ie, you must have 10 normal games (not wins, just games) with wu kong AS an owned champ, to unlock him in ranked. Note that I did not say CUSTOM games. Custom games do very little for understanding a champion's role in the game. This rule is the one that I feel would go the furthest to promote fair teams.
C: The player must not only adhere to rules A and B, but now they will be required to not only own, but have 10 games with champions tagged for 3 different roles;ie, Must have an eligible (a&b) champion tagged for jungle, ranged, tank. This will require the tagging process to be a little more accurate. Champions will need to be tagged for all VIABLE roles. ie, sona: support, mage. Malphite: Tank, bruiser (top lane), jungle. Karthus: Mage, carry. The above champions would mean at the least, the summoner owns a champion for jungle, for support, for mage, tank, and bruiser. This will keep people from playing who only know how to play graves, for example.

2:Map requirement
A: Any summoner joining a ranked game MUST have 300 games played on the desired map. ie, if I wanted to join solo que for ranked 5v5 on summoner rift, I would have to first have 200 normal games played on summoner rift. This would ensure that people have a general understanding of how the map, and teams, work.
*****edit 1-12-12*****
I'm turning this into a thread containing ALL the best ideas for improving solo que. So without further adu:
1:Accept que: When your queue finally pops, you must accept it within 15 seconds or you are REMOVED from que at no elo cost. This idea credit goes to jerrrry17.

2:Viewable Owned Champions:This fix will make it so when you click on a summoner's name in your team, you can see all of his owned champions just as if you were looking at YOUR screen. This will avoid mishaps with trading champions and make the process much more easy and smooth. (this idea is from my own thread and has a 100% aggreement from the community poll over 126 votes)

3:Vote-to-kick: I've played around with this idea and decided that having a vote to kick feature is a good idea. Make it so it pauses the timer of the champ select when someone is kicked, waits for a replacement, then when they pop into the game they can choose to either A:join or B:refuse within 15 seconds of entering the game. If they refuse, it will simply select another person to offer the join to. Its true that this could lead to wasting ppl's time bc ppl want specific team comps, but since the majority rules, that should not be a problem. The maximum amount of ppl whos time would be wasted is the original 4th (assuming he voted no to kick) who has to wait for a replacement. This is much less time wasted than completely requeing or even going through with an entire game with a team you know is bad and going to lose. And as I said, it is a majority rule, so having 1 troll on the team trying to abuse it really doesn't apply and the odds of having 3 trolls is really low.

4: No Penalty Que Dodge: Essentially a vote-to-kick for yourself. Implement this exactly like the person who dodged was vote kicked as stated above and there shouldnt be a problem. Both of these ideas hinge heavily upon simply pausing the champion selection instead of exiting it. Similar to world of warcraft's lfg que. If someone leaves while in a dungeon, you simply reque until you find a replacement instead of starting the entire dungeon over. *UPDATE* This was just done in patch 2.something. Gj RIOT!

5: Language Selection: I have no idea how difficult this would be, but if Riot could split certain servers into 2-3 language sections it would go a long ways to promote team communication. It's probably equally frustrating to someone who ONLY speaks spanish to play with an all english team as it is for the team to play with them. The population of the server would essentially not change at all. It would just be split.

edit, update 5/2/12

6: Credit to 00zer00, MVP voting: Allow a system where both teams are allotted a number of votes for the better players on their team and the other team at end game stats, awarding bonus elo. Seems like an unnecessary feature, and really doesnt do anything to remove variables from solo queue, so even though this would be neat, it'll never happen and is unnecessary.

Update 5/5

Posted this on another forum to explain the flaw in the current elo system. Reposting here.
It is a FACT that your elo represents, game by game, your TEAM'S efforts. It is DEBATABLE and a THEORY that over the course of time it reflects your personal level of play because of the above. Fact: If you lose/win a game, the elo loss reflects your teams performance by 100%, it is NOT a fact that it represents your own by 100%. Fact: The system of elo was invented and developed based on 1v1 games. Fact: There are MANY variables that go into winning/losing each game, none of which are accounted for in the system of elo in LoL.

Fact: Flipping a coin and getting heads 40 times in a row does not increase the odds that the next flip will be tails. The "coin" here is your team. If you flip a coin, you have a 50% chance that it will land on head/tails. You could do things to influence this. You could put a slight weight on one side, which might raise the odds it will land on heads to 80%, and tails 20%. HOWEVER, there is a distinct scientific possibility that you may NEVER land on heads. Of course, you will, but depending on your "luck" you might only land on it 50% of the time, which would contradict normal thinking that you should land on it 80% with one side weighted. In this scenario, YOU are the weight at 1200 elo. Even though you're better, increasing the odds, you wouldnt gain elo. Now imagine instead of your entire team being a coin, as each individual in it being a coin. 50% chance each one will land on fail which will have, depending on the level of fail, a -20% (+-) impact on your team's overall performance. So you can give +30% through being better than the players on both teams, but if everyone else on your team is taking 10-20% away from your teams performance, it becomes really one sided really fast, especially when you take into account the variable of the enemy snowballing and the effect the bad players have on it.

The biggest issue isnt that it doesnt reflect your personal performance. It does, however, it doesnt reflect it ENOUGH. Meaning you only represent 1/5 of your team's total skill level, which represents your elo for every game. For the elo system in LoL to be accurate it would have to reflect 100% of your personal performance each game, not 20%. The games elo was designed for represent a person's performance 100% per game. So, without variables, which could end up higher OR lower, the elo system is 80% flawed when used in LoL for 5v5. Believe me, the elo system IS flawed for this game because what I explained above is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all the variables. If you have ANY inkling for logic in your brain, you'll understand this and take it to be completely true and fair. If you don't, please just dont even try to debate it.

**UPDATE**
Patch 2.0 ...or something brought us FREE RANKED DODGES. The requeue time has been increased to 30 mins to avoid trolls, but it is WELL WORTH IT, MY FRIENDS! Riot, this will go a LONG way toward removing variables in solo queue. It will ensure that you can dodge away from obvious trolls and dummies, as well as allow you to maintain teams that support your playstyle. I've only used it once, thus far, because LoL hasn't really been available...cough...but I'm going to say this is HUGE! Thanks Riot!

This is all I have for now, please post any suggestions or ideas.

Sarabade

02-15-2012

bump

Shonuf

03-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeise View Post
2:Viewable Owned Champions:This fix will make it so when you click on a summoner's name in your team, you can see all of his owned champions just as if you were looking at YOUR screen. This will avoid mishaps with trading champions and make the process much more easy and smooth. (this idea is from my own thread and has a 100% aggreement from the community poll over 126 votes).
^At least this.

I had started another thread about picking from the whole team champion pool. Flaws were pointed out to me and i have since changed my mind on the suggestion.

I think if the trade button could be used before picking a champ it would go a long way to making picks better for the team. Currently the top Elo player is first pick, but most first picks are just counter picked by the enemy team. If you could simply trade first pick to a teammate this could be avoided. Also would avoid trolls picking something you can't play, or don't have and not being able to trade. This, along with the above change, would allow players to see if who they are trading with has a viable champ before locking in. Then if they decide to trade their pick the other person picks from there champ pool and you confirm the pick and it fills in your slot. During their pick you pick the champ you want and at the end of pick they auto-swap.

At least that is my thought, I know there are still flaws, maybe you can improve on it and add it to the OP. Up to you.

Verify Name

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2012

your "Viewable Owned Champions" "Vote-to-kick" and "language selection are great. Check out my thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1373699

Desolit

03-11-2012

All of this seems pointless.
Especially the 100 games part, and the 10 games as each champion.

In order to get to level 30, you've already played at LEAST 100 games on SR or TT. Whether it's custom or not, you still get the idea of the maps. Point invalid.

10 games as each champing: So, in order to get your required "12" extra champions, you'd need to play 120 games. Okay, fair enough. BUT the way bans currently work, you need a certain amount of champions so that you can play at least one. Using your logic, you'd also need to be able to play 10 games with each of the free-week champions in order to be able to play ranked. Which wouldn't work. Point half valid.

Vote to kick would be abused, do you play with this community? Point less than valid

Viewing owned champions: Could be interesting, or click on their summoner's profile, and have a link to their profile (which i'm pretty sure has a list of champs owned does it not?) But this could also bring in the ability to ban thatperson's favourite champ just because they are good as them. Point neutral

Language selections comes with servers, segregating would just be annoying and useless server side coding to run.

I didn't even cover all your points, but alot of these just seem like you raging at bad teammates.

Blazeise

06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolit View Post
All of this seems pointless.
Especially the 100 games part, and the 10 games as each champion.

In order to get to level 30, you've already played at LEAST 100 games on SR or TT. Whether it's custom or not, you still get the idea of the maps. Point invalid.

10 games as each champing: So, in order to get your required "12" extra champions, you'd need to play 120 games. Okay, fair enough. BUT the way bans currently work, you need a certain amount of champions so that you can play at least one. Using your logic, you'd also need to be able to play 10 games with each of the free-week champions in order to be able to play ranked. Which wouldn't work. Point half valid.

Vote to kick would be abused, do you play with this community? Point less than valid

Viewing owned champions: Could be interesting, or click on their summoner's profile, and have a link to their profile (which i'm pretty sure has a list of champs owned does it not?) But this could also bring in the ability to ban thatperson's favourite champ just because they are good as them. Point neutral

Language selections comes with servers, segregating would just be annoying and useless server side coding to run.

I didn't even cover all your points, but alot of these just seem like you raging at bad teammates.
and you, sir, are a debbie downer. I did raise the game requirement slightly, though, but keep in mind, you don't just have to play summoner's rift to level. Almost ALL of my levels were done in TT. Thus I was bad at SR when I hit 30 and had very few games in it. Also, I'm offended that you claimed I raged at all. This is a very calm, well thought out post which you are trying to drag down and I will not have it.