Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crystal Wolves

01-11-2012

We must stop SOPA, let's go guys, let's put this down

Senor Crouch

01-11-2012

Senor Crouch reporting for duty. Just sent off my letter opposing this. Government is in our lives too much as it is. Incredible how relentless they are in trying to control everything in everyone's life.

Shfonce

01-11-2012

Not only did I write but I called all three of my states congress reps. They have people to answer their phones and are taking notes on people calling in on both sides of this issue.

While I agree theft is theft, the internet should be left alone and no gov. should take a hands on stance to anything good or bad here.
It should be regulated by the community. They should take pointers from Riots summoner justice system and let the users decide.

Enola Reverof

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephirenth View Post
This is, unfortunately, not the case.

Any sites that would get taken down, like YouTube and the like, would get taken down -completely-. Nobody in the world will be able to access the sites, because they'd no longer exist.
This is in fact not true. You-tube is the perfect example of a site that will survive something like this. The bill is for anti-piracy, so you-tube would remove any copyrighted material,but there are billions of videos that belong to individuals and not companies, and so you-tube having thier source of income grow from ads and sponsors would still thrive due to a large video watching community that would still use you-tube as a source of sharing.

Fact is, this is a pointless bill that will be defeated anyways. It will not be defeated becuase we vote against it or becuase the bill doesn't get passed, but becuase the very people the bill protects are the ones who will eventually turn on it for publicity. In example, the music bussiness is the largest anti-piracy advocates right now becuase they don't sell any cd's. What will happen when this bill gets passed is that they will lose money. Not becuase people will stop buying the cds in protest, but becuase people rarely buy cds anyways. In hind sight, the music industry will find that thier cd sales will increase only slightly but thier concert and material sales will drop drastically due to a smaller fan base. I can not tell you how many bands I have listened to on you-tube due to random selection of reccomendations, but without you-tube being free, I won't listen to them.

This will be a result of the music circulating less do to less publicity from free sites such as you-tube, and so to get the band out there again to more listeners, the company will have PR reps post band approved videos on sites like you-tube and completly turn full circle. The metal/rock genre will be the first to approuch this becuase thier fan base will have the largest reaction to this. Others will follow suit in time, and everything will return to the way it is now except with the permission of these corporations.

It will only take a matter of a year or two, but eventually it will go full circle and everything will return to normal. The only people who lose are the large corporations who are pushing to pass this bill.

Golnor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-11-2012

botheration. Link doesn't work for because I am from Canada and it doesn't like my zip code.

Liquid666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-11-2012

That's really nice Riot! I wish I could do something to help you out, but I don't live in US. SHUT DOWN DIS SOPA/PIPA

Yokel85

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meruze View Post
Hey, here's a bright idea!

Why don't we CHANGE SOPA. The concept of the bill was started with the best of intentions (stopping pirates, who, by the way, are baddies), and it got out of hand because the people behind it don't actually inhabit our sphere of knowledge.

I'm all for really stopping internet piracy. It's insanely bad for business, and when groups of people (*coughANONYMOUScough*) decide that a law will inconvenience them (oh no! They might have pay for their games, movies, etc!) and make threats and the like, it's even worse for business. Companies are less likely to keep producing stuff because, surprise surprise, it is "pirated" (theft. that's what it is, and it's wrong). Bandai Namco has already stopped producing NEW anime series because of online pirates (whine and make excuses all you like, it's the **** truth).

So let's help make SOPA viable, rather than tear it down and bury it.
Ending piracy isn't a regulatory issue. It's a business plan issue. Most people with available funds don't pirate videos because of the cost, they pirate because it's better than the alternative (in the case of most anime, that alternative is something poorly dubbed or just not available at all). If TV shows were available in all areas, in the format people wanted, they would gladly pay for them. Hulu, Netflix, etc prove this quite well.

Siejai

01-11-2012

+1

Wake up people, the government doesn't give us anything, it only takes away our rights

Gigarayzor

01-11-2012

What's amazing to me is that there is literally almost NOBODY in the field of computer science who actually thinks this bill is a good idea, myself included. It's ridiculous, and I'm very glad Riot is helping take a stand against it. Just another reason I'm a fan of this company.

There are plenty better ways to prevent piracy. I've heard the opinion many times that a well done digital distribution service such as Steam has reduced the need for piracy. I know people who have simply stopped pirating games because for once it's more convenient to buy them legally through Steam. That's the best way to do it, incentivize people to want to buy it legally. That's why so many games that have super restrictive protection are so frequently pirated.

DoomScar

01-11-2012

I guess this was supposed to be a good thing, but they've gone too far.

I'm so proud of Riot. This is one of the reasons why I love you guys.

Free-will on the internets! STOP SOPA!!