Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GAMETIEM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
When it comes time to vote you need to stand up dressed like a wizard and state "YOU SHALL NOT PASS"

...man what I would give to see that

Egyptian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Good Job Riot.

Pureva

01-11-2012

Sadly, I'm represented by one of the coauthors of SOPA. I've let him know my opinion, but just got the ol' "I care, but..." in reply.

SopaipilleitorX

01-11-2012

you CANNOT STOP me!!

i signed, don't downvote me D: just read my name

Best Teemo World

01-11-2012

SOPA mia. care Riot.

Tzetch

01-11-2012

Riot, you should be able to seriously bribe some of these legislators with the money that I have spent on RP! :P

Seriously though, CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATORS PEOPLE, IT'S EASY!

Youkai Ningen

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzRadio View Post
I love how people just now noticing SOPA are panicing rofl.
Actually many people already knew and were against SOPA, they just didn't post on the Riot forums because they probably thought RIOT wouldn't want the forums flooded with political threads.

There have been many sites already with thousands of people speaking out against SOPA, now you're seeing how many of those people play League as well :P

Hyxios

01-11-2012

I'm so glad Riot stand up for us, against SOPA. Yeah its true that what SOPA is trying to do is way too ridiculous. STOP SOPA!!!!!!!

F4HKYU

01-11-2012

Those of you saying, "Just move out of the USA" need to understand those sites will be CENSORED from the American public if "deemed" in violation of SOPA & PIPA.

What you really need to be concerned about is the fact that MOST of the 1st World countries are in process of passing similar bills in their Governments too. They are just waiting to see if it will manage to pass here in the USA to get their go ahead to pass it in their own countries as well.

Finally, you all need to realize this is MUCH bigger than just losing entertainment sites on the internet. This is about LOSING OUR ABILITY to speak freely and openly about any and all issues. Basically say good bye to freedom of speech on the internet. If you do not have your own site, which you control full by not allowing user generated content YOU HAVE NO VOICE ANY LONGER.

WAKE UP, GET RESEARCHING AND EDUCATED, GET ACTIVE, WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES:

http://www.opencongress.org/

Cerf

01-11-2012

Change Baron Nashor's name to SOPA for 1 week. Trust me.

Butty [Warwick] : SOPA 38:43