Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheFutaba

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwaffleman View Post
(> į oį)> _|__|_ f$#@ da police! Nothing shall pass!
@sopa Attachment 360806

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Upvoted for this initiative.

BlitzDrank

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Polis for Pres 2012!

Wriggle

Adjudicator

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakenViator View Post
I know my Congressman, Rep Justin Amash of Michigan, has stated clearly that he is against this bill... But it takes more then two Congressmen to tango, people need to start making phone calls!
I think Senator Wyden (Oregon) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wyden] and Rep. Issa (California) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Issa] have been against it from the start, too.

MrVec

01-11-2012

Best birthday present ever? Logan your the best, got me exactly what I wanted.

Elikain

01-11-2012

This is most disturbing...SOPA is bull****.I also agree that Piracy should be stopped but out of entire population of any country (30% actually are "pirates" while 70% buys real stuff and out of those 30% only 16 % download that kind of content).
This would mean if i use any picture that is remotely copyrighted as an avatar,i could get sued.
What about YouTube ? The internet was always a free place before ****ty Govenrment decided that even the internet needs to be a marketplace.
I do agree that it makes your life a bit easier but making the entire world suffer because of your ****ty logic ? I don't think so...

This is why i hate politicians...They get rich by telling all sorts of lies and we are the ones who are paying for it.

Too many negative sides of SOPA,only one benefit.DO NOT WANT!
Stopping piracy also means stopping all user-generated content on the web.People suing each other for money.

The Congress really needs to kill those idiots who came up with this stuff...
It's like they were mentally retarded when they decided to ban everything on the web.

EDIT :

I also saw something what companies do : They have achievements,online play and other stuff like skins reserved for purchased games only.
No amounts of piracy will even come close to this.Who wants a full game,he buys it.
Pirated game only has single player mode and i don't wanna ****ing spend my money on a game that doesn't have a proper review.

This is the second thing i've noticed.Companies spend all that time and money basically advertising a game while real expectation is not even close to the advertised one.

Example : P2P MMO: Costs like 40$.You just think you've payed all the money they will ever ask of you but little do you know that even items that are exclusive to the game itself cost REAL money and not the game money.Basically you've payed for the game and they make you pay some more.

F2P MMO : Exclusive items bought using REAL money only.Enrich your experience,while if you don't want to,the game offers plenty anyways.

Magnus Virtus

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
You are one of the many reasons I still have faith in our system. You are proof that truly everyone from all walks of life are represented in our government. If I lived in Colorado, I would vote for you every election.

I have written my Congressmen about SOPA / PIPA. Let's get this shut down. Let's show the world that the CITIZENS of America still control the country, and it's not just big corporations deciding the direction of our nation. God bless America, God bless League of Legends, and God bless liberty.

Eziodjinn

01-11-2012

The likelihood is so great that technology giants including Google, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter have gone so far as to publicly consider a simultaneous blackout in protest.

If they actually did this, took down their front pages and replaced it with "STOP SOPA" for even a couple hours tens of millions of people would see it.

Hellghun

01-11-2012

Ya SOPA's op, needs nerf

Riconin

01-11-2012

The government needs to get off their you know what and work on stuff that matters. Like unemployement and this recession. STOP WASTING OUR MONEY FOR YOUR OWN BENEFIT!!!!