Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PLT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFutaba View Post
Not to mention all the dances that the champions do. ( /d ) If they really wanted to be dicks, they could see that as copyrighted,
Ezreal dance is over -,- so is malz..

Foxboro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Awesome Riot

Brohan46

01-11-2012

Wow i'd like to know what i could do to help stop S.O.P.A

Eziodjinn

01-11-2012

bump. United Police State incoming, need to nerf it. Start with SOPA.

Reverend Zeratul

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomar View Post
Spread the conversation to all your American friends on the internet. Educate them. Push them to write their congressman. Push them to have THEIR friends and family write their congressman. If you want to kill this thing, you do it by creating a tidal wave of public opinion against SOPA/PIPA. Just by joining the conversation and educating others as to what these bills do, you are helping!
I'm really happy that Riot Games and Congressman Jared Polis are publicly opposing SOPA and its related bills.

For anyone not living in the USA, there IS more that you can do. In addition to speaking about it and educating others about the impact of bills like SOPA, your own country may be considering something similar.
For example: A couple of days ago it was leaked that the US government was blackmailing Spanish government officials into talking about a SOPA-esque bill. If your country is under the same circumstances, or you suspect that they are, raise awareness for that too. This sort of thing can be less visible to people but it's still pretty important.

torrentfreak.com/us-threatened-to-blacklist-spain-for-not-implementing-site-blocking-law-120105

The article I linked to states that "In a leaked letter sent to Spainís outgoing President, the US ambassador to the country warned that as punishment for not passing a SOPA-style file-sharing site blocking law, Spain risked being put on a United States trade blacklist.... More than 100 leaked cables showed that the US had helped draft new Spanish copyright legislation and had heavily influenced the decisions of both the government and opposition"

tl;dr the USA is trying to bully other countries into passing certain laws.

One for the Book

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Tier 5 godmode Congressman, savior of the internet, and slayer of SOPA... you sir have my vote for prez

appaK

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
You sir congress man are a great man. I appreciate your continued effort. Heres to stopping SOPA, a absolutely atrocious act!

JaredGG

01-11-2012

Sopa sucks!

Skuled

01-11-2012

DOWN WITH SOPA! The internet cant be controled! Im by your side, Anonymous WONT STAY STILL THIS SHALL NOT PASS! We shall preserve our rights! LETS FIGHT AGAINST THIS! This bill will not take internet down! I MAY NOT BE AN AMERICAN BUT THIS ABOMINATION WONT PASS IT CANT PASS! Together we can make a difference riot we are all by your side LET'S STOP THIS THREAT ONCE AND FOR ALL! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFkEULhLPwY&feature=related

Xnubs

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nhum4n View Post
if all else fails, move riot to Canada
OMG will that happen if the bill passes ? NVM let it pass i want a job at riot you are looking for SQL database admins right !? Down vote down vote !

j/k