Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MurdÝk

01-11-2012

Throw the RPs, mark the target and lets kick some azzes :P

(jk)

Eismaus

01-11-2012

There are a lot of very large, very wealthy backers for this bill. I'd like to thank RIOT for stepping up and helping to champion and organize opposition, as what the opposition to this bill really needs right now is a lot of very active champions who can make as much of a splash as the backers. Not only have I written my congressmen, but I've also taken the time to try to contact both Google and Facebook to encourage them to take similar steps as RIOT to show their opposition to SOPA. If anyone has the time, I'd encourage them to do the same.

Thanks again for your efforts, RIOT. Greatly appreciated, and makes me feel infinitely better for my support of your company. Keep up the good work.

Kaerar

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado...
This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
Having been studying common law and other types of law for the last 6-7 years I believe there are clauses for the misuse of legislative acts and the fact that legislation that is approved but still unconstitutional is null and void and without lawful effect. However to have this shown on record I believe it needs to be actively challenged/rebutted in court otherwise consent is assumed.

Rainbowpants

01-11-2012

I am most definitely concerned about this bill. I've heard of it in the past but did not realize it has gotten this much more worst. I went ahead and emailed all three of my state's representatives, clearly stating that I am thoroughly against this ridiculous piece of **** bill that threatens the hobbies that I enjoy in an every day bases.

Thanks Riot, you're awesome

Kanye Thresh

01-12-2012

i mailed my congressman for the first time ever for this ^_^, hope it helps!

Engix

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Iím greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Iím particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Iíve been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
I'll be honest here, this is probably the first time i have ever done something a congressman has told me to do. But its good to know that we have some support.

Freak84

01-12-2012

If you REALLY want to help stop this, than vote Ron Paul.

Ebon Kitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

I'd like to know how this piece of legislation affects,or could affect, the gaming communities of other countries. I can definately see that if this legislation is passed in America, it could soon be followed in other countries, especially my own, Australia.
Even as a non-American, this is an outrage to the wider gaming community, as it will stifle innovation, as well as likely bringing about a spate of lawsuits that claim game X stole feature Y from game Z, and at worst will make the internet a living hell for gamers and gaming companies.

Cleako

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

I've never been more proud of you riot.
/teardrop

PatronAejax

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSeatSon View Post
what happened when the ndaa bill was passed. Oh wait, nobody gave a ****! You all are so hyped up on such a stupid bill that you let ndaa slip by! Want to know what ndaa does? It gives the military the right to patrol the streets and arrest anyone they feel like 'on the account of suspicion of terrorism'. How long will you be arrested? Well that can vary, depending on when they, yes they the military, so chooses. No trial, no rights, nothing!

Enjoy your stupid protests you liberal trash buckets! So worried about having to pay for stuff on the internet you don't even realize how screwed our future is now that you can be arrested indefinitly!
This is a very unfortunate incident indeed. However, if most people here are like me, I was completely unaware that such an outrageous bill was even being passed. This only serves to emphasize the importance of spreading the word about bills like this - bills that are aimed at threatening our rights and liberties. The scary truth is that the people trying to pass these kinds of bills are always trying to keep the public unaware and apathetic, and to make matters worse, they are often in positions of power that make it possible for them to do so.

By bringing up the NDAA bill, you are providing a perfect example of what happens when information is purposefully hidden from the people. It is harder to get people to vote than to keep them from voting - one takes action and effort, while the other requires nothing at all. It is truly regrettable that bills such as these have passed before, but that is all the more reason to never let it happen again. Don't fall victim to apathy and inaction. Don't fall for the illusion that things are okay the way they are. Strive to reach a better place, and demand that those people who we have placed in positions of power in our nation lead us there.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."