Help Us Stop SOPA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cragspyder

01-11-2012

As someone else who lives in Canada and plays League of Legends, I have no power to halt this bill. However, the rights and freedoms of internet users and corporations in the United States affect the entire world, for reasons that should be readily apparent (Youtube, Google, League of Legends, etc).

I encourage anyone that would not normally get involved in politics to step up and make an effort to get involved, on behalf of your Canadian brothers and sisters as well as those hundreds of millions around the world who use the internet.

Online piracy is an extremely complex issue and is a serious problem for many publishers and creators. I will point out that Riot Games has no products that are currently pirate-able and so their position on this issue is pretty cut-and-dry. Not so with many game publishers.

However, Blizzard, Valve, Apple and other companies have taken steps in other directions to stop game and music piracy. League of Legends' currently piracy-immune system is another option for many game developers. Subscription-based services or other charges may become more commonplace as well, which may not necessarily be a good thing. However, SOPA is not the right answer in its current form.

Please, citizens of the USA, speak for those of us who don't have a voice in this!

Mitskuna

01-11-2012

I agree with Sopa and pipa as much as you guys do.. Pirating is wrong yes. Companies need income so that they can produce more music, games, or what have you.. and equiptment does go bad and some needs upgrades to fit the needs of the consumers. That is why I am for being legal with my music games and other like things. If the companies are putting all the money gained to wrong places then I may change my mind on buying from that company. But On the same hand, all the government is trying to do is control the citizens. They find security in control once they fully control citizens.. They aren't trying to ban guns because of all the crimes they are trying to ban them so the citizens can't rise against a corrupt government.. if no citizens had guns to defend themselves do you think this current government wouldn't just pass these bills anyways? They would, so thusly, they get rid of guns they can be a dictatorship like they want.

But that being said they know they can never fully get rid of piracy.... Have they gotten rid of all the smuggling of drugs and guns into america? I think our military defended borders would be more enforcing than online piracy. Moreso, this is a invasion of privacy.. Lets say a married couple wished to... "see" each other on webcam because he's on a business trip.. if he plays a song in the background and it gets shut down, wouldn't that mean someone was watching the private stream? They have to constantly monitor all streams which is indeed a invasion of privacy, and if someone fights it, or if they realise they can't watch over every single one.. They will just revoke the right to stream all together. I'm 23 so you have my vote to abolish the two acts =D

LittleLI23

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

..can you just make it so my thumbs up counts as a vote in support of stop sopa?

LadyKäiser

01-11-2012

Riot Games:

Won my love by setting up a dance video because the community came in force for it.
Sealed their place in my heart as favorite game company ever by being this absolutely awesome.

As soon as I'm done with art school I'm going to do what I can to work with you guys. Simply the most amazing company I've stumbled over in like... ever.

Dr Toenail

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep Jared Polis View Post
Hi, this is Congressman Jared Polis of Colorado. As a member of the League of Legends community (partial to Anivia and Maokai), and as someone who made his living as an Internet entrepreneur before being elected to Congress, Im greatly concerned about the future of the Internet and gaming if Congress doesn't wake up. You may have heard that Congress is currently considering a bill called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA. While SOPA has a ton of problems, there are some significant issues that I thought fellow gamers might want to know about.

Im particularly concerned that SOPA might stifle the kind of innovation that brings us games we love, such as LoL. The bill makes it far too easy for angry competitors to sue good law abiding companies out of existence. It threatens any company or website that depends on user-generated content, even companies like Riot. Instead of coming up with great ways to keep making games like LoL even better, companies will have to spend their money hiring lawyers. That's why companies like Riot, who want to protect the games they create, are opposed to SOPA.

Ive been working on alternative legislation that would protect the games companies create while also fostering innovation. But we also need you to call your members of Congress and let them know of your opposition to SOPA. This bill has a very real chance of passing, and it is up to all of who want to protect the Internet to take action. More information is available at http://keepthewebopen.com/. Please make your voices heard in this debate! I will be happy to respond to your posts below, and will check back every few hours today and respond to as many as I can.
H-O-L-Y F-U-C-K

whoa...

Ghost Dekohawk

01-11-2012

Well if this passes, i know what bill im not gonna pay...

gay strip club

01-11-2012

I think the only people who are for SOPA are the old people that hear about 4chan etc.

Karoke

01-11-2012

Words cannot describe the crippling effects that the US government is about to inflict upon the US economy. If these laws are passed, freedom of (internet based) information and speech will be forfeited, US consumers and US businesses will be heavily (fined) taxed for the usage of internet, innovation and investments into US businesses who create content that made the US economy the powerhouse it is today will be forfeited as well.

So basically, when the US economy is already down, the US government goes ahead and knocks it down some more. Investors who fund US companies for innovation and content creation will stop. US companies that lack the cash flow to run or start up will end up not existing. Jobs are then lost and cannot be created. The large US companies prosecute small US companies out of business for content infringement and the oversea companies prosecute large US companies for patent infringement. And what you get is a bankrupt America.

Clearly, the US government is taking the away the internet from itself and allowing everyone from inside and outside the country to walk all over itself. The tool which provides the sum of human knowledge is now in the hands of oversea countries who continue to innovate and create content and get ahead of the US in every way possible.

The choice is clear, you either have the internet for all of its glory and despair or you have nothing. And nothing is all about despair. I rather have something than nothing at all. I rather have LoL and it getting sued the hell out of for content infringement, pay it off, and continue to do business as usual or start all over again. I rather have someone infringe on my content and me having to go through a difficult process to sue them for a lot of money than have no one infringe on my content and make no money at all. With every pro, there is a con, and with no pro, then all you've got is a con, which is you have no pro.

Dragon Striker9

01-11-2012

I am not going to sit idly by as terrible laws like these are gonna be passed. I urge everybody who reads this to start some form of petition against SOPA. I will not allow a bill or any law like this to be passed. I will not rest until SOPA is gone. I will tell every teacher, every student, and every person I meet to fight against SOPA.

DavidJerk

01-11-2012

This will pass, unless all of us step up and say something.

I see so many people talking about it online, but so few actually doing anything about it. Saying how terrible SOPA is here isn't going to stop it. Stop whatever you're doing, read up on it and do something about it. americancensorship.org can point you in the right direction for a start.

Not an American? You can still help. Talk to your American friends. Write about it in your blogs, mention it everywhere. Awareness helps, but we still need people to do something about it. This isn't something that will cause problems for only Americans. It's a global catastrophe that anyone who uses the internet may feel the effects of.

Even then, with such strong support in Congress, this may pass. Sending letters and phoning representatives may not be enough. Street protests may need to be arranged.

You'll be wishing you did something after you see the effects SOPA will have on the internet as a whole. For many of us, the internet is a way of life. I work on it, I play on it. Many of you do too. Do something. If you don't understand what SOPA is about, read about it. This is important to so many people, most of which either don't care, or don't understand. Don't be one of those.