Yorick Champ help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhatTheScrub

01-11-2012

Hey guys! I have started to play Yorick in the last few days and I really like him but I need some help picking a build and things. I dont see many other Yoricks in game so I cant copy their build. So first off is Yorick better off AD or AP? Next would be some basic ideas for how to play him if anyone knows. I am looking to do alot of damage but also be able to stay in the fight! Also what boots would be best for him? I was thinking cooldown but I'm not sure. So if you guys could help me out that would be great! Thanks.

Amatzikahni

01-11-2012

Yorick is best as a tanky AD; full tank and full AD are both lackluster compared to a good mix. Merc Treads are amazing, and Atmog's after Manamune is very nice. Always build situationally, but If you complete those, there are many available options. I'm not a Yorick player so I really don't have any favorite items, but if your support didn't get Aegis, I'd think about that on Yorick.

SinguIarity

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheScrub View Post
Hey guys! I have started to play Yorick in the last few days and I really like him but I need some help picking a build and things. I dont see many other Yoricks in game so I cant copy their build. So first off is Yorick better off AD or AP? Next would be some basic ideas for how to play him if anyone knows. I am looking to do alot of damage but also be able to stay in the fight! Also what boots would be best for him? I was thinking cooldown but I'm not sure. So if you guys could help me out that would be great! Thanks.
Best built tanky dps, by definition, he won't do as much damage as a carry, but he can stay in the fight for a very long time. Use his ult on an ad carry to insanely boost your damage. As for boots, get merc treds or lucidity. I build, manume, trinity, atmogs/fromogs, FoN/Banshees

Paulacid

01-11-2012

I play/played Yorick more than any other champ. I'd say ALWAYS start Manamune+Boots. I like Merc Treads, I can't think of any other boots that are much use for him, maybe the new tabi or cooldown reduction would suffice?

After that, you have a couple paths that are both pretty solid. Atmogs is great, but after you do it 100 times it can get dull, and it has some weaknesses.

With his extra effective HP from always having lifesteal, Frozen heart is a great alternative to going Atmogs, but then you'll need to help your damage out with some other items. I would NEVER get Trinity Force on him, just too many stats that aren't great on him for way too much cost. You could be 2/3 of the way to Atmogs for the price of it, and Atmogs is 8x better for him.

Yorick is allll about AD+HP.

AD makes him do more damage, makes ALL his abilities do more damage, and makes his ghouls do more damage. (He has NO AP ratios, so you can throw that idea right out)

HP gives him more health and gives his ghouls more health.

So there's your basics, as far as playing tips, he is NOT good at striving for early kills, but is nearly immovable, so just farm your *** off until you feel completely dominant in lane. Then push/deny at will, harass as much as possible to keep them from a good engagement. When they try their silly jungle gank, kill one of them ASAP and chase off the other one. Yorick FTW.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2012

Yorick focuses on having enough mana to actually do stuff, being tanky enough to survive a fight, having enough cooldown reduction to spam his spells. AD is his offensive stat which boosts his spells and his ghouls. Crit, attack speed, AP are not used as their effects aren't very big.

Most will start with meki and 2 pots, then upgrade to a Tear, get your boots and upgrade to Ionic, then work on a Warmogs, then Atmas. Sometime along the way you upgrade the tear to a manamune. Get a negatron cloak in there as needed and eventually upgrade to Banshees.

This gives you decent armor and magic resistance (100ish each), quite a bit of health (3500ish), and about 100 AD plus 60ish manamune, plus 70ish atmas.

Then you'd grab a TriForce for general buffs.

There are several variations of this. a Spirit Visage instead of negatron will allow you to max out your CDR (assuming a 21 defense or utility build with CDR blues) with ionic which is really nice. The visage also helps your innate health regen from your E.

SinguIarity

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulacid View Post
I play/played Yorick more than any other champ. I'd say ALWAYS start Manamune+Boots. I like Merc Treads, I can't think of any other boots that are much use for him, maybe the new tabi or cooldown reduction would suffice?

After that, you have a couple paths that are both pretty solid. Atmogs is great, but after you do it 100 times it can get dull, and it has some weaknesses.

With his extra effective HP from always having lifesteal, Frozen heart is a great alternative to going Atmogs, but then you'll need to help your damage out with some other items. I would NEVER get Trinity Force on him, just too many stats that aren't great on him for way too much cost. You could be 2/3 of the way to Atmogs for the price of it, and Atmogs is 8x better for him.

Yorick is allll about AD+HP.

AD makes him do more damage, makes ALL his abilities do more damage, and makes his ghouls do more damage. (He has NO AP ratios, so you can throw that idea right out)

HP gives him more health and gives his ghouls more health.

So there's your basics, as far as playing tips, he is NOT good at striving for early kills, but is nearly immovable, so just farm your *** off until you feel completely dominant in lane. Then push/deny at will, harass as much as possible to keep them from a good engagement. When they try their silly jungle gank, kill one of them ASAP and chase off the other one. Yorick FTW.
For a pro yorick player as you claim, his slow scales off ap upon summon.

Paulacid

01-11-2012

That's pretty funny. I don't know if I ever knew that. Still 0 reason to ever build AP on Yorick..

RapidOffensive

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulacid View Post
That's pretty funny. I don't know if I ever knew that. Still 0 reason to ever build AP on Yorick..
Sheen is a reason (and maybe abyssal if you have multliple AP carries I guess).

But yes -you would never build for AP on him.

Manamune and Mercs are absolute core, then as you say it's very situational.
But for the price of a rushed Warmogs next you can build:
Glacial (for CDR, armor and mana - build to Frozen later), Sheen (more mana, a little AP double damage on hits - built to TF later) and and grab another null magic mantle (for either Hexdrinker or Spirit Visage) to bring your MR up to scratch.

I think going for the smaller faster items is just more flexible than rushing a Warmogs and then going Atmas tbh...although I agree Warmogs + Atmas is very nice on him (and gives his ghouls great stats)

shatoyo

02-16-2013

yorick is op if played right,he is barely ever used though