Flip Camera Option [Please Riot Please]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaejinTye

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-17-2011

***EDIT***

Since this post isn't directly related to this thread, I've decided to post a link Here to a new thread I started to try and get feedback.

I can agree to this thread. Though, I think a transparent % option (With toggle option to click through the HUD) HUD would allow you to see your health bar, your gold, and the action, while giving the option to still use your abilities through the hud, instead of having that problem where you try to use a skill shot, highlight the hud and watch as your character tries to blame you for missing a kill.

I think an option that would fix the problem for everyone would be a way to customize your own hud. I believe a very simple, easy to use tool would fix everyone's problem as thus:

Add files to your League of Legends install directory (provided by Riot either via download or patch) with one of them being "HUD Customizer." What the HUD Customizer would do, is bring up a simple screenshot (Without names or anything like that of course) where the player has some very simple and basic options.

1) Divide the Hud into numerous parts: Items, health, mana, Gold, Portrait, skils, Player Score, Team Kills, Team Info (portraits and hp/mana bars that are in the upper right. Make each one it's own part) Latency, Game Clock, Mini Map, Option buttons. Oh, and xp bar.

2) Allow the player to click-and-drag where they want each part to show up during the game. Allow them to overlap if they choose. Maybe a "Snap to edge" option for the lazy people who can't line up edges.

3) Allow the player to right-click on the part to bring up a small menu of options such as: Transparency, Scale Size, Click Through (If checked yes, then the player would be able to issue move, attack or skillshots through the HUD as if it wasn't there.) Flip Horizontal, Flip Vertical.

After they have the HUD how they want it. They'd save like any other document. The file(s) produced would then be able to simply overwrite the defualt in-game HUD. Maybe include a simple README for a quick step-by-step to install the file(s).

Now, with the files themselves is where it gets tricky. There are so many ways to do it.

1) You can make 1 or more files themselves hold all the hud information.

2) You can add a folder/directory where you simply add files of the proper format in order to add their HUD displays to an in-game option list.
For example, say the HUD requires 2 files to display properly. I have 3 HUD layouts. I would go to the HUD directory and copy and paste them all in: DPSHUD.file1 DPSHUD.file2 | TANKHUD.file1 TANKHUD.file2 | MAGEHUD.file1 .MAGEHUD.file2 || Once I've done that. I load up LoL, and before I actually JOIN a game, I see this new option in their options menu "HUD." I click the drop-down and get a list: Defualt, DPSHUD, TANKHUD, MAGEHUD. Goodie! Now I can join a game with any champion, and have a HUD I like to go with it.

3) You can have the defualt HUD be built into the core files. You can then use the mentioned tool to create your own hud and put the produced files where the README indicates. Then, as long as those files are there, and not corrupt, you'll get your own custom HUD every game. To uninstall the custom HUD, either delete the files, or move them out of the directory. You'll then return to the defualt HUD display.

-END-
Sorry if I'm horrible at explaining things, but anyone who deals with files and stuff would easily understand the concepts here. (Or anyone who ever customized their WoW UI, or tried to install ANYTHING on Counter-Strike 1.6)

TL/DR - Give us a tool to customize the HUD with a step-by-step README so we can install the custom HUDs easily.

P.S. Yo, where can I get a job dealing with stuff like this? I can have a few thousand experimental tweaks and upgrades by the end of the month!!! Lmfao.

Ottiz

05-19-2011

It aint simple but it does the job, you will need time, and the ability to read and understand instructions.

You can customize the UI, using a 3rd party tool.

Perb UI !

http://leaguecraft.com/uimods/56-perb-ui-0-40.xhtml

Byakujiz

08-06-2011

Thread Revive! RIOT DO THIS! :O i mean comon we should be able to move the camera cuz purple team is at such a huge disadvantage and its hard to gank when ur comin down from there

JoelDavidBell

08-06-2011

I fully support a change that would allow me to see the spot where Dr. Mundo's Infected Cleaver's range maxes out. It is very hard to harass at max range if I can't see where the enemy is. I would also like the camera to be farther away from the field so I could see more at once. This would seriously increase my ability to play as Dr. Mundo (which is the only champ I ever play :P).

BflySamurai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-06-2011

What if the map was rotated clockwise 90 degrees (or the camera rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise) to be like the twisted treeline map? This would make the map completely fair for both teams in terms of the camera view. I'm almost to the point of queue dodging when I get purple team and I want to play a ranged champ with skill shots. I just can't perform at the same level if I have to move the camera too; I can't keep the camera on my champ and always be ready to use my skills at the same time, while if I'm playing blue team, I don't have to worry about that at all, you just keep the camera locked. Also, today I was playing against a brand and couldn't even see him while he was attacking me. It was quite frustrating.
Another simple solution would be to let the camera zoom out a little more. And it would be insanely awesome if you rotated the map/camera AND let it zoom out a little more so that I can see everything I'm doing.

I could see your reasons for not wanting to give players that extra vision in terms of strategy, but then why support widescreen resolutions and dual and triple screens like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxpzSakZxE

Phoulmouth

08-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
As long as this this got necro'd, I might as well answer it.

There is a technical reason we cannot implement camera flip at this time. There may be some design considerations as well (mandatory to avoid unfair advantage?). Not for me to say, though.

As a UI guy, I like the idea b/c it would put players on more equal footing as far as HUD blocking important areas during laning.
If you just allow us to zoom out more it would not be necessary to reprogram things to switch camera angle. I know a ton of people that want to zoom out more as well so you are fixing 2 issues with one wave of your magical wand. I do not understand how this is hard to comprehend.

The Jaded Dragon

08-16-2011

Hey guys, I only started playing LoL about a week ago, and I can honestly say this is the only feature about the game that I hate. Being on the Purple team puts you at a natural disadvantage. I'm shocked to have seen so many people complain about this and it never be addressed.

DGGP

09-13-2011

You're not talking to the other team as far as positions go, so what's there to be confused about? Top lane will be the top lane from YOUR team's perspective no matter what.

Just make the camera always behind the player's back. Shouldn't be too difficult, and the disadvantage is honestly game breaking for those that enjoy playing with a locked camera. (Roughly 99% of your casual player base, and maybe a *generous* 25% of your competitive player base)

Reynmaker

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
As long as this this got necro'd, I might as well answer it.

There is a technical reason we cannot implement camera flip at this time. There may be some design considerations as well (mandatory to avoid unfair advantage?). Not for me to say, though.

As a UI guy, I like the idea b/c it would put players on more equal footing as far as HUD blocking important areas during laning.
Technical reason I can assume would be rendering overhead on the servers, or something of that nature ? I can understand that, and glad to see that your're at least aware of the problem and looking at it. Hope the flip can be implemented at some point, then all players will be on totally equal footing.

dragonlife29

09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primostyle View Post
Or perhaps even just having the option to have the HUD on the top of the screen?
This...is genius. So simple, but it could do the trick. I hadn't even thought about doing that.