Heimerdinger Exhaustively Examined

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911toast View Post
You really shouldn't use League of Legends as a topic for your english essay.
XD why is this downvoted?

On topic, it WOULD be nice if the important parts were bolded. Just a bit of writers courtesy.

Janovjev

01-12-2012

Well worth the read. Thank you

crzymdscntst

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamaar View Post
I quite enjoyed your analysis and would wonder about the mastery changes and item nerfs you mentioned? Perhaps if you don't have the time then not in the same level of detail but anything would be interesting to read. Regardless, thanks for the excellent read.
Zhonya's Ring - just over 100AP Unique Passive - 25% AP boost. Unique Active - 2 seconds invulnerability.

Turned into Zhonya's Hourglass and Rabadon's Deathcap.

Mastery page rework - Previously, a mage could go up the defense tree to get the defensive masteries along the way to a 4% AP boost. Now they have to decide defense, damage or utility. Utility also used to provide easier access to more crucial masteries toward bottom of tree.

AD portion of Mastery Tree buffed, with the 'nerf' to the AP side of things, inherently created a gap between strong mages and weak ones. Heim is considered a weak one, because he relied more on either that extra defense or certain things in utility properly paired with older such things for his survivabilty after boatload of nerfs.

Goodbye Fortify - This meant less Turtle-tactic Heims. (The thing he was good at other than pushing. Now he's sub-par at both.)

More Champs with dashes and hops - This is something I think the OP missed or didn't expand upon. New champions inherently are built for the current Meta, which relies on these such skills. Inherently, these are Heim's weakness. These champs can get inside his defense before he pokes and scares them. (Fizz, Vayne, Graves... the list goes on).

Spell Vamp and Gunblade Nerfed - For Heim this meant he could get as reliable values of spell vamp, I.E. a less viable item for him. Since his turrets don't apply on-hits, spell vamp doesn't work on his turrets as it is, meaning it's optimal to take advantage of his 2 other main skills. His ulti doesn't do damage. His W and E have pretty crappy cooldowns compared to some spellcasters, especially with less than average AP ratios. Optimally increasing his sustain and waiting out the enemy was the strategy here. Gunblade's AD, Lifesteal and 600 damage slow all added a bit more of all of the above. Allowing his auto-attacks to be fairly reliable when his cooldowns were up. Likewise, the slow-damage from it allowed easier damage output on his turrets and grenade on a specific target. (This a reason why hybrid is even considered. This and Malady, since -24 MR from Heim's auto-attacks, -20 from abyssal, -50 potential from turrets even though they might only get 10 tops, stack flat pen, all his spells deal decent damage at that point)

__________________________________________________ _______

There have been other changes that I'm not going to overanalyze, but there have been some that have been silent nerfs to champs like Heim, much like the Warmog's Armor nerf is a silent nerf to Mundo.

cavecricket48

01-12-2012

The above post probably should be integrated with the main one...

crzymdscntst

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecricket48 View Post
The above post probably should be integrated with the main one...
Only after also being exhaustively detailed a bit more. Otherwise, rip all the text as you'd like. I'm mostly positive that I missed something along the way.

EnderDDT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamaar View Post
I quite enjoyed your analysis and would wonder about the mastery changes and item nerfs you mentioned? Perhaps if you don't have the time then not in the same level of detail but anything would be interesting to read. Regardless, thanks for the excellent read.
Early game Heimer is probably a bit overpowered, he can quickly pull ahead of the opponent and bait enemies into enough sustained damage to come out with a kill. This is the lane phase up till about the time when you take the first tower. Mid game Heimer is good, he can push down towers and give enough poke to be genuinely scary. Mid game for him is the ganking phase before full team-fights start happening. Late game Heimer is useful, he can quickly take out minions and then drop his turrets in front of a tower to deal damage to it unless stopped and can contribute a good amount of poke with his rockets but he can easily be food if not extremely careful. Late game for him is the team fight stage when you need to rely on your allies greatly, your turrets become almost useless against the enemy, and he can no longer directly carry the team. End game Heimer cannot even take out minions without resorting to auto attacks or dropping one of his turrets, his rockets damage is ignored by all but the squishiest characters and quite nearly anyone else in the league can "burst" him down. Heimer's end game starts at about the point where his grenade can no longer one-shot caster minions and is the point where the game pretty much becomes a 4v5. While other characters become better and better at farming and dealing damage as the game goes on, Heimerdinger gets worse and worse. His ratios are so low that the enemy can outpace him by simply buying some MR, and the minions passive increases in defenses similarly outpace him. This is the context that you must remember.

The main item change that hurt Heimerdinger badly was the nerfs to Deathcap which made endgame come that much sooner and kept his powerful early game from continuing as smoothly as it had done before. The AP reduction was small, but that change is the difference between killing the minion and leaving it with single digit health. With the way the minions health increase every three minutes, this is a 3-6 minute reduction of viability on a character who reaches end-game at around 35 minutes on summoner's rift.

He is a bit more powerful with the new offense mastery tree in terms of magical ability during the "Mid Game" (about .5% more powerful when Executioner does not come into play) but this requires that you build up some AP before you will see this benefit. The trade off is that all the mastery points that had been "extra" and so were used to make him better at auto-attacking had to be reassigned into increasing his magical ability. The new capstone mastery is much less valuable to heimer because it generally never activates, since he either wants to one-shot minions or poke heroes what are likely at full to half health till they run away. The overall effect in power is that Heimer is a worse pusher, which is the one area where he needs to excel even when all else was lost. During late game, however, even the Executioner mastery has a hard time overcoming the 5% spell penetration that was lost during the mastery change. The mastery page change, in effect, hit him both early game and late in some of the worst possible ways. even if he was simply using the Offensive mastery tree as a secondary tree, he still lost a lot of AP at level 18 and the extremely important 5% spell penetration.

The old utility tree lost a lot of masteries and power in masteries that was very important for Heimerdingers game-play. I could go into a lot more detail, but here is the short version: The end result is less xp, less regen, worse summoner spell buffs, and only 5% longer neutral buff duration and 15 seconds off of flash cooldown at level one (they also increased the cooldown by 10 seconds and reduced the range by 50 at the same time).

Going full 21 utility resulted in much smaller losses than what the attack tree dealt, mainly because you now can regain some of what you lost in the early levels of the tree. The main thing you gain with the new mysteries is access to the "Wealth" mastery, which gives you extra starting gold which is quite useful. The downside of that mastery is that you have to put 4 points into greed in order to get only twice the effect of what 1 point used to do, causing that extra 40 gold to cost a total of 6 mastery points (so probably not worth it). Transmutation is nice, even though it again gives you only half the benefit of what you can get from runes (very worth it, imo). In addition you can finally take Awareness to get the bonus that you used to be able to get at tier two. What you loose is 1% movement speed and 10% bonus buff time. The bonus buff time was important because it nearly extended the blue buff duration until the next one had spawned. The rest is the same.

The change of the old mastery "insight" as it was wrapped into "summoner's Insight" was also an indirect nerf since it meant that supports would now help you recover 40% less mana. The Heal spell also had a nerfed mastery effect, but only by about 1% total.

That said, these nerfs hit absolutely every character in the league and, with the exception of going 21 offense in order to gain the extra pushing capability which is core to Heimer, did not affect him in any particularly damaging way. So while it may be interesting to see how he came to be what he is now, it is also not extremely relevant to a discussion about how to balance him with other characters (who got hit with all the same nerfs as he did).

PS: I wrote out more but cut it so as to present less of a wall of text. The above poster has also focused on a lot of things that I didn't go into detail on. He deserves a +1 for his help.

Enicidemi

01-12-2012

I apreciate the time you took on this. Heimer is a very interesting champ, one who went through a lot of changes. Having come in after he was finished being nerfed, I never knew a lot of this. Very detailed analysis of his kit, I completely agree with you.

Rookie xD

01-12-2012

I really enjoyed Heimer when I first started playing and would love to see him return to some of his former glory

Sardarc

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatorius View Post

2. Allow the player to throw is turrets, instead of having to run up and place them. This would help with turret placement during a team fight.
I think this is a really good idea because most enemies are not just going to walk into one of your turrets unless they're hidden in a bush.

Kojolika

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardarc View Post
I think this is a really good idea because most enemies are not just going to walk into one of your turrets unless they're hidden in a bush.
I first thought when I read that, that it would be ok you wouldn't have to put urself in danger well placing them. But now I realize it can be used for offense too.