AD Kog'maw?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epicfayle

Junior Member

01-10-2012

Why does AD work on Kog if all his damage is magic with the exception of his Ult. Wouldn't he be better as full AP? Where does his physical dmg come from?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

Senior Member

01-10-2012

He has the highest range in the game with rank 5 of bio-arcane barrage. Building him for AD means he not only does % based magic damage on-hit, but he also deals heavy AD damage too.

You could build him for AP or onhit, but these builds are mostly magic damage, so he wouldn't fit the AD carry role very well would he?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicfayle View Post
Why does AD work on Kog if all his damage is magic with the exception of his Ult. Wouldn't he be better as full AP? Where does his physical dmg come from?
The reason for building him AD is that he has a 30% attack speed boost as a passive on his Q (which means you get very good returns on AD), and the bonus damage on his W synergizes better with attack speed (which you generally won't find on AP items) than with AP.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lgnite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
The reason for building him AD is that he has a 30% attack speed boost as a passive on his Q (which means you get very good returns on AD), and the bonus damage on his W synergizes better with attack speed (which you generally won't find on AP items) than with AP.
Malady? Nashors? Rageblade ;x


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

666shadow666

Member

01-10-2012

built witsend, malady, PD, IE he melts faces


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

01-10-2012

Just build straight AD like all the good players do.

Same AD build as everyone else, BT into PD, then IE or LW, then the other.

On-Hit is okay, but the AP/attack speed build is just plain bad if you want to run the numbers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epicfayle

Junior Member

01-10-2012

So his AD damage is actually coming from the AD items he has on..and not his inherent attacks...That makes sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

Senior Member

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Just build straight AD like all the good players do.

Same AD build as everyone else, BT into PD, then IE or LW, then the other.

On-Hit is okay, but the AP/attack speed build is just plain bad if you want to run the numbers.
Actually, the numbers for total DPS are quite dramatically shifted in the favor of an AS on-hit build. It's between 20-40% more DPS, against an average target, for the same gold cost at all stages of the game until extremely late game, when it almost evens out (but the AD build costs about 20% more). Against specific targets (tanks, for example), it is even more effective. It's not quite as effective against squishies, but still significantly better in terms of both DPS and survivability.

In addition, the AS on-hit build comes with some nice bonuses to defense and a bit of utility in a slow (since you probably want to grab Phage > Mallet for beefiness).

The build I'm referring to is Zerk's, SotD, Wit's, MBR, Phage, situational defensive item.

_______________________________________

Regardless of build, you can't be very effective as Kog unless you have a team that can protect you while you chew through everything. You also need a team that understands you are not going to be dealing primarily physical damage.

As long as those two things are set, AS on-hit Kog is superior in multiple ways to a pure AD Kog.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

Senior Member

01-10-2012

I find it hard to believe that any build involving the worst offensive item in the game (SotD) actually outdamages anything.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cooper112

Senior Member

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
He has the highest range in the game with rank 5 of bio-arcane barrage. Building him for AD means he not only does % based magic damage on-hit, but he also deals heavy AD damage too.

You could build him for AP or onhit, but these builds are mostly magic damage, so he wouldn't fit the AD carry role very well would he?
Ummm no are you sure?

Im pretty sure lvl 18 tris has as long range as that and cait.


123