The Long Gun of the Law

12345612 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaykoboy

01-10-2012

Yay! Cameo. Still not the worst, though! Ka-ching.

And thanks for not bringing up the Riven incident. That's a sore spot.

SpicyJackTheBard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-10-2012

Part 3: To sing for one’s supper…

I made my way to “The Dancing Badger” in an almost tired manner, due to the fact that a recent feat of magic had drained me of a good portion of my energy. My stomach growled at me ferociously, almost sounding alive and with its own intentions as I walked. When I entered the tavern, the man behind the bar greeted me with a smile and a wave. Samon and I had spoken many times before during my visits to Piltover, and he had catered to my group’s drunken escapades more than once. He finished polishing the glass in hand and waved me over to the bar.

At his behest, I sat down, relieved to rest for a moment before moving again. Samon looked me up and down concernedly, “What’s the matter, Jack? You look ill,” he asked me, his voice carrying a Piltover accent much thicker than Caitlyn’s, yet carrying less than half the weight.

“It’s fine,” I said, “Just a bit of food and I’ll be fine,” with that, he nodded and left, returning only seconds later with an end of bread and a glass of water. When I reached into my pouch to pay him for his service, he stopped my arm before it could leave the counter, “I’ll consider this on the house if you are willing to play a song or two for the lunch crowd when they come through here,” He offered me a grin beneath a bushy salt-and-pepper mustache.

After a word of thanks, I wolfed down the bread and drink, taking only the slightest care for table manners, and straightened up once I was finished. Carefully cleaning the crumbs off of my lips, I proceeded to tune the lute that had taken a small beating when I had fallen. The damage was not as bad as I thought, and I only had to modify the sound of three strings in order to get the proper tone.

It was almost magical how the second I finished tuning and began playing a few chords, the people of Piltover began to flow into the tavern, ranging from stall merchants to mechanics to businessmen. Several greeted Samon as they walked in, yet few paid me any mind. As Samon and his waitresses began running between the tables, getting food and drink for the patrons, I began to play. I started with a simple acoustic melody that I learned from a sailor when I was very young, then began playing tunes that everyone knew. More than a few people began singing along with the tune my lute strummed out, starting with “The Rocky Road to Demacia”, “Volibear and the Maiden Fair”, and “Sweet Harmony”. The last one was a particular favorite because it represented the people of Piltover so well.

As I played, more and more people trickled in, some of which cleared a space of unused tables for people to dance in. As they did this, I laughed. My sole intention was to provide a little entertainment for the people of the city-state until Caitlyn arrived, but it seemed that I was a male Sona upon this day. The music encouraged people to stand up and dance, to grab a partner from the crowd and spin them around once or twice in a circle of clapping hands and stomping feet.

I left a few silver marks on the bar for Samon to bring me another heel of bread, which I consumed in order to regain my full strength. Once my second snack was in my system, the music continued, with tunes like “Another Round” and “Twirling Towards Freedom” coming more and more easily to me. Men and Yordles danced together, and one of the small folk, an older fellow with pale brown fur, streaked with gray, came up and started playing a flute alongside me. A short break and some conversation revealed the fellow’s name was Beni, and we planned out the next few songs.

Laughter resounded as the Yordle and I played “No More Stones” and “The Litter and the Leaves”, and it was just as we were about to start a dancing tune called “Council” that the doors parted to allow the Sheriff of Piltover to enter. She was wearing the same clothes as before, though she carried herself differently. Caitlyn was much more relaxed, now, though she was still attentive to her surroundings. Her rifle was propped on her shoulder, and she smiled when she saw me. I leaned over to Beni and said, “Would you mind doing this next one alone?”

He stood on the stool next to me in order to see my reasoning and let out a single “Ah,” when he did. Looking back to me, he nodded and said in a high pitched voice, “Of course, my friend. Go and dance. I only ask that you return the favor when you get back!” We both shared a laugh, mine almost like a dog’s bark, his high pitched and almost squeaking at some points. With that, I left my lute on the bar and stepped out into the circle as Beni began to play.

Extending my hand towards Caitlyn, I began to dance. Not one of my finer skills, it’s true, but I enjoyed it, and gods take me if I cared what I looked like when I did it. With a smirk, Caitlyn unloaded her weapon and set it aside with the precision of someone who had done something similar a thousand times over, and stepped into the circle with me.

Once she took my hand, we began to dance a reel together as the music picked up, the old Yordle puffing on his flute fervently in order to keep the music going. The two of us locked arms and spun around, the dance floor being empty save for a summoner and the sheriff. As we spun about, my boots thumping while hers clicked on the wood floor, people cheered until the music finally came to a slowing stop. Both out of breath, we shared a smile, and I bowed to her.

Applause greeted us as she went to retrieve her gun, and I my lute. I thanked Beni and gestured to the dance floor, whereupon he hopped down from the stool and made his way to the middle of the circle. As I slung my lute across my body once more, Caitlyn sat on the stool beside me and said jokingly, “Are you really going to keep a lady waiting?”

“I promised that I’d let my friend there have a dance, and I like to keep my promises,” I responded with a smile before strumming on the lute once more. As I played “Marty’s Last Stand”, she made her way over to an empty, two-seat table and waited patiently for me to finish playing. When I did, I went over, took my hat off, and placed both my hat and my lute under the table. “My apologies for making you wait, Caitlyn.”

“Not at all,” she responded, taking her top hat off in turn to tuck under her seat, allowing the raven-black locks that she had hidden therein to come billowing out, “In fact, it was rather enjoyable.”

I gave a slight nod and said, “Thank you. You dance rather well.

“And you lie rather poorly,” she responded. Blushing must have occurred because she smirked at me in almost a teasing manner.

As Samon brought us both tea and lunch, we began talking, first about our work in the League, then about our previous lives. She was mildly put off when I confirmed her suspicions that I grew up in Bilgewater, yet it did not slow down the conversation any. I was doing well until she started asking me about magic.

“So how exactly did you make that wall of stone back there?” she said, taking a sip of tea and leaning in to listen.

“Well… um…” I had not prepared for this question, and seeing this beautiful champion staring at me with such intensity caused a bad childhood habit to reform. I began stammering.

“Well… I supp-p-pose that the b-b-b-best explaination for the m… m…” I had to force out the word “magic”, “would be t-that I had to use some of my own energy t-t-t-t… t-t-t-t… t-t-t-to create the wall that stopped the p-p-perpetrator.” After stumbling my way through that painful sentence, I took a few deep breaths to calm my nerves. Caitlyn was unfazed.

I continued to explain to her the basis of summoner magic, stammering only a few times more after that initial sentence, until I got to the point about the lack of nexus in Piltover, at which point I said, “I’m sorry, but is this topic boring you?” My interest was genuine, since she hadn’t said a word during my talk, rather than cynicism.

She leaned back almost as if in shock, “No, no, I’m sorry. I was just listening. I have a tendency to just stare when I listen... something I developed as an officer.” She gave a nervous chuckle at the end, almost sounding as though MY questions were making her nervous.

My response elicited a laugh that eased the conversation back into its previous casual state, “Well, you have no reason to be the officer here. You looked so stone-faced that Galio would have seemed human in comparison.”

The conversation turned light again, we continued to talk until a small alarm went off on Caitlyn’s gun. Reaching over, she deactivated it with a simple flick of her thumb and said, “I’m sorry, but my lunch hour is up. Please forgive me for leaving so hastily.”

I rose as she did, leaving money for Samon and a tip for our waitress on the table, “Your job is keeping people safe, and far be it from me to keep you from it.”

As we stepped outside, I turned to Caitlyn and said, “You know, this was rather nice. Would you like to meet for a cup of tea sometime later this week? I’ll be in town for a little while, at least.”

Leaning her weapon on her shoulder, the sheriff of Piltover smiled in response, “Perfect. There’s a tea house right across from Piltover Customs. Would you like to meet there two nights from now?”

“That would be fantastic,” I responded, “As long as the Ministry doesn’t drag me away, you can be sure I’ll be there.”

We each tipped our hats to one another and walked our separate ways, leaving her to keep the streets safe, and for me to prepare two nights in advance.

I always love it when in books, a single musician can cause people to break out into dance, and I often try to integrate that into my stories. And yes, all those songs that were mentioned are either real, or based off of other songs. Please leave your reviews so I can either stay motivated, or improve on the next installment.

Cimmerian

01-10-2012

cool story I like it.

I have a request, could I appear in it with some "connection" with ahri? I dont mean it has to be a relationship, but could be enemies, friends, anything. Just a small role.

If you dont want to or cant seem to put it in then its ok.

Keep it up

SpicyJackTheBard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-10-2012

Thank you, Derp, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to perform your request... Getting Jaykoboy in there was enough of a stretch, and I don't really want to get any champions aside from Caitlyn and possibly Corki or Heimerdinger involved. :/ Sorry. But the next chapter will be up by tomorrow.

happinessism

01-10-2012

wow haha you are amazing, actually i just wanted to ask
do you make up your story on the fly or do you create a vague outline of the story and then create the intricate chapters as you go,
and... yeap. you're amazing (twice now) and uhh ill be waiting.. until you upload tommorow.
heheh good work and good luck

Cimmerian

01-10-2012

Thats fine , I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

SpicyJackTheBard

Recruiter

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinessism View Post
wow haha you are amazing, actually i just wanted to ask
do you make up your story on the fly or do you create a vague outline of the story and then create the intricate chapters as you go,
and... yeap. you're amazing (twice now) and uhh ill be waiting.. until you upload tommorow.
heheh good work and good luck
Hahaha, thank you. And, just so you know, I make a very, very vague outline when it comes to most chapters of my stories. Chapter 3, however, I just threw together because it was what seemed right. If you would like to read some more of my work, please add me on LoL so I can give you my email without all to see.

Jaykoboy

01-11-2012

Yay! New chapter. I really like it...so cool.

I wish you luck in the first person to ever hold the title of 'succesful summoner/champion relationship artist' catergory in Fanfic. First to hold that title was Belthazor...now, it looks like you've got Fanfic dominance.

I came in last place, BTW.

So, any other fanfic pieces you're working on?

happinessism

01-11-2012

oh yes please. i would like to read more.

happinessism

01-11-2012

oh and you didnt upload today. actually kind of sad T.T prepared my nice cosy hot choco too.

12345612 ... 16