Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Broken Umbrella

01-22-2012

Hey, i was wondering, why is ap mid the best to carry witb?
It seems that although i do well i cannot do much later on.
What makes mid better than an ad carry or top?

BloodySpearz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Are runes really as importatnt as everybody says they are? I've gotten to level 22, and I really haven't invested much into runes yet. I'd much rather become competant with a large range of champions. Not only does it keep gameplay fresh for me, I feel like I can cover more team deficiencies. Is it worth specializing into one role/champion, or should I continue playing many champions? On a side note, have you got any general tips on when to engage? Edit: I'd also like solo top and general AP tips, please. I find myself being pushed back extremely far whenever I solo top, and I never do enough damage with my skills on AP characters to deal lethal damage. I do well with Karthus and low-cooldown casters, but other than that I always seem to come up short.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinfinger View Post
I am about 1300 elo now and about 20 games into ranked. I watch chaox play graves a lot and notice he brings heal flash and builds wriggles first. is there any reason I should not do this in my elo(graves is my main and i play him if i can)? some people on my team don't think i should. why is this?

also, I am having trouble positioning myself in team fights due to the fact that everyone focuses me. i feel like my damage wins fights but is it more important to just run away if i'm being focused? also in those fights, usually the tank is only one in range but should i hit him until a squishy comes in range or should I compromise my position and find the squishy?

lastly, how do i deal with a lane when the support is mainly there just for harass. e.g. nid, ali, lux etc. it is very hard to get cs and win lane against those people.

thanks.
1. Heal and Flash is usually a good choice IF only your support bring exhaust.

This set up allow the Heal summoner spell to heal you more, so that you can get another extra 100-200 life during the lane fights.

Which also means, if your support doesn't bring exhaust for you, DON'T BRING IT. Exhaust is usually a better choice, or cleanse if the enemy have heavy CC.

2. As for Graves, you have a perfect position tool, your dash.

Keep in mind, your job is to do damage, even if you can't reach the enemy Vayne who is in the back, you can keep shooting the enemy skarner who is doing tons of AoE damage, not to mention, you have a smoke screen that can divide enemy team, and two AoE damage skills that can be used perfectly for damage.

Aka, Kill what is going to be the biggest threat > Kill what is going to destroy you > Kill whoever is reachable.

I highly recommend you to save your dash til the enemy gets to where you are, then you dash backward and keep shooting, that way you can maintain your damage output.

Also, remember to put that smoke screen on top of enemy carries, if they have a Vayne or a Ryze, it is most likely that the smoke screen will stop them from doing damage for a good 1-2 seconds.

3. Harass supports usually means they have a mediocre heal/ sustain.

For example, if you have a Soraka + Graves combo, and the enemy have Vayne + Alistar combo, you can easily outsustain them.

Use everything to your advantage, Vayne's autoattack range is REALLY SHORT, whenever she comes forward for lasthit, feel free to buckshot in her face and add a normal attack, then back off.

Vayne also lack a good AoE lasthit skiill, which means that if you often force her out of position from getting multiply lasthits.

Lastly, if it is something such as Taric or Alistar who is camping in the bush for bush control, tell your support to buy a ward, one single ward in the bush is enough to prevent them from surprise gank you, and thus, the minions will attack them if they stay in that position, allowing you to safely farm closer to your turret, and open up for an easy gank.

ExecutionerK

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by S B View Post
Rageblade or Nashors tooth on hybrid Kennen? (Yes, AD Kennen does sound interesting, I'm thinking Nashors would be a better pick on Kennen although Rageblade does give more AD).
Hybrid Kennen fail pretty hard, this is mainly because all of Kennen's skill scale well off AP, and he doesn't need any AD.

You are giving up the ability to damage whole enemy team in exchange for single target, I suggest you to do that on other champions.

ExecutionerK

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
I play a lot of tanky DPS and junglers (amumu, rammus, irelia, morde, jarvan, etc).. I also dabble in Caitlyn Bot from time to time if I have a pocket support that I am in voice-comm with... but that's beside the point.

Solo-Top, I normally have no problem out-farming my opponents (and even most of my team). I normally end games with more than 200 cs. Problem is, I also usually DO NOT get a lot of kills during laning phase (if any at all), so,

#1. - Are there any tips or tricks you can share with us to securing first blood (or securing kills at all) when playing solo-top tanky dps? Whether that means ganking another lane or baiting out a kill top lane.

In normal games when I solo-queue it's almost impossible to expect junglers to do their job, and other lanes not to feed. It's also very difficult, as a jungler, to depend upon my team to not do stupid things like push their lane.. or ignore the fact that I am attempting to gank someone, so they just stand back and do nothing when gank time comes. . . Or worse yet, they over-commit and towerdive even though the kill is not imminent, and the enemy has blown summoners.

#2. - What is the easiest jungler to get fed early game with thru ganks/jungle control? Same question for Solo-top.
As for your solo top, that many CS means that you had farm WAY TOO MUCH.

It is much more useful for a team to have a person with 150 cs and going around the map, ganking enemy or taking enemy buff (or even take dragon control) rather than farming top all game long.

My most common method on securing first blood is charge at the enemy double golem, with a team with 1 or 2 CC, you can easily rape enemy bottom support and ranged AD while they are doing double golem.

Easiest jungler to get fed early game is Lee sin and Shaco, these two junglers have amazing ganking abilities. As for solo top, it is probably Riven at level 3, this is due to her amazing passive buff, good stun, and a relatively useful shield.

ExecutionerK

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weajiin View Post
I used to play Soraka almost every match from level 10-30 and about 400 matches after that. She then was changed / nerfed especially in her ability power ratios. The builds that I tweaked got the most out of her. Once I finally started playing ranked matches there was a problem. Lower elo players try to follow higher elo players to the letter. I wasn't gp/5 and warding so I got a lot of flak.

1. I realize warding is essential but should it all be placed on one player? If I am throwing down 150-225 gold on wards every time I go to spawn, that severely inhibits my ability to really support with Soraka.

2. I feel a Fiendish Codex and Boots of Lucidity are going to help my team more than a Philosopher's Stone and brief periods of sight on the map. Am I wrong to ignore the warding and instead check my mini-map once every two seconds?
1. 150-225 on wards as Soraka really isn't much, usually I spend 2 on normal ward and 1 on pink ward, resulting in a good 275g on wards every single time I go back.

And that is the reason for you to get gp/10 item.

2. That is right, SOMETIME. But the chances that it is right, is less than 10%
---1. You are building item that doesn't buff your survival, which a HoG can provide (250 hp)
---2. You are lowering your gold income as you are not suppose to take cs.
---3. Wards can be used for map control, without map control, your bottom lane is quite screw.
---4. You are a Soraka, why get mana regen item when you have build in mana regen skill? (Which means all you are getting is cooldown reduction, which seriously doesn't matter that much til later in the game)

A philosopher stone helps much more to you in term of gold and build (Building it into shurelya)

In conclusion, BUY WARDS, and how do you get those money? GP/10! and finally,do not build Fiendish Codex, it offers you stuff that you want but they are not the important stats! Even building a Will of the Ancient will probably benefit your team more.

purplepowerpete

01-22-2012

How do u take jungleing into late game?
I am in pretty terrible elo hell(1190) and i usually jungle, i usually do well early game but end up falling off late game and not being useful

Carados

01-22-2012

Why are people so obessed with building attack speed on characters with attack speed steroids?

ExecutionerK

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCREXISxX View Post
Hey, i was wondering, why is ap mid the best to carry witb?
It seems that although i do well i cannot do much later on.
What makes mid better than an ad carry or top?
AP mid is the best to carry with because you have easiest access to all lanes.
If you are ahead, you should share the advantage by ganking other lanes, just winning mid lane isn't enough.

ExecutionerK

01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySpearz View Post
Are runes really as importatnt/ Is it worth specializing into one role/champion, or should I continue playing many champions / Any general tips on when to engage? Edit: I'd also like solo top and general AP tips, please.
1. Runes are important if you want to go into ranked, for any little bit of advantage can turn into a huge lead into the mid and late game.

2. It is usually worth more to specialize in one role, with 2-3 different champions in case the enemy took/ ban it.

3. An engagement should start whenever the enemy is out of position, enemy at low hp, or using an skill that can do a lot of damage/ crowd control the enemy.
Example of these includes Annie's flash tibber stun, Ashe's Arrow, GP ult, or Kennen's ult.

4. Solo top - Mainly farming, but once you have your core item, you should start roaming to mid whenever an opening occurs, For example, if you are tryndamere, Feel free to go to mid and gank once you have your ultimate, if you get a kill, cool, then mid lane had won his lane and can process to help bottom lane, which snowball up.
AP mid - Your job is to beat the enemy then helps other lanes, however, you have a much more important role compare to top, as you have access to all lanes and jungle, this means you should also take part at counter-jungling and ganking all different lanes.
Share your advantage, allowing your teammates to also become fed, is the most essential part of playing AP mid.

Remember, 1 guy getting super fed, isn't as good as 5 guys all getting fed.