Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiandra View Post
team brought me down by sending me bottom as ire with teemo... the hell? from there just a losing streak.
Ahh, the freaking irelia bot idea, best way to screw Irelia up.

Irelia isn't a good low elo carry because most of the time people doesn't understand how Irelia solo top is usually a farming monster until mid game, so I won't really recommend her unless you are sure that you will get your solo top.

I also recommend building GA after trinity force, rather than the standard glacial-frozen, the reason is that Irelia at lower ELO needs to be able to do more damage rather than tanking, and GA serve this purpose, focus you, they lose, not focusing you, you going to hurt them with trinity force and true damage.

I will also think or Renekton and sometime good Wukong as Irelia's counter, but other than that, only Nasus is out of your list, but Nasus also requires farm to hit that godly stat.

The Mighty Nezha

01-12-2012

Hey, I know that this is a super noob question, but I am looking for a tanky character who can go solo top and jungle a little too as well. Would you consider Jarvan IV a viable pick? He's on sale this week, and I really like his commando skin. I will probably end up getting him anyway, just because I think he is cool and he is as tall as a tree, but I was wondering about his effectiveness relative to other solo top/jungle champs.

Thanks!

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezha44 View Post
Hey, I know that this is a super noob question, but I am looking for a tanky character who can go solo top and jungle a little too as well. Would you consider Jarvan IV a viable pick? He's on sale this week, and I really like his commando skin. I will probably end up getting him anyway, just because I think he is cool and he is as tall as a tree, but I was wondering about his effectiveness relative to other solo top/jungle champs.

Thanks!
A good Jarvan who knows how to gank can really change the tide of game, but often you will find Jarvan getting outclassed.

For example, at top lane, even if he has the same amount of CS as Tryndamere or Riven, they will both come out to be much more powerful than Jarvan, so overall he is a good choice but not a viable choice until his's ratio get buff for solo top.

**Still a good choice with other AoE champion such as Kennen or Anivia.

The Mighty Nezha

01-12-2012

I see, and I appreciate your input! Who would you suggest as a good alternative? As I said I will probably get Jarvan for the time being, but I would like to know who I should be saving my IP for next.

Thanks again, man!

ExecutionerKen

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezha44 View Post
I see, and I appreciate your input! Who would you suggest as a good alternative? As I said I will probably get Jarvan for the time being, but I would like to know who I should be saving my IP for next.

Thanks again, man!
Riven, GP, Tryndamere, Irelia, Nasus are all good solo top.

lastchancexi

01-12-2012

I have problems changing up my build. How do you learn to build situationally and are there any standard situational counter-building methods I should learn?

Hizuremai

01-12-2012

I have 3 questions.

1) I typically play support (bot) or caster (mid), and I was wondering if there were a situation that would arise that would make it more beneficial to not instantly take a tower than not. (especially in the laning phase). As a support main, I've noticed that if we dominate bottom lane, either causing the opponents to recall, or even picking up kills, my carry will push the wave as soon as possible, not to ensure safety when going back to buy items, but to instantly take the tower. I'm thinking that if the entire team is doing well, and other lanes don't need help, you would want to keep the tower up to cause the opponents to further miss out on CS, cause my carry to comfortably farm and possibly get more kills to snowball harder; Instead of doing the typical: Take the tower ASAP. Last-hit up the lane until you can't safely do so, recall, buy, repeat.

Sorry if that was kind of "wordy", couldn't think of a better way to phrase that. Let me know if you need clarification.

2) As waves come from the base, are there any benefits or downsides to regulating towers/minions/lasthits to build up a giant wave of minions to help you push or not push? What situation would you want to use either one of these methods if at all.

3) A large concern of mine is something that I would like to call 'relative feeding'. While playing caster mid, I typically like focus on pure last hitting, with a little harass until level 3 or so. I find this method works very well for me. I'll usually deny the opponent with decent positioning/harass without too much of an issue of counter harass and by the time I take the tower (or even two with good lane regulation) I'm usually 2/0, 3/1 or so which is pretty decent. Meanwhile in top lane (or bottom) my ally goes 7/6 or so due to ganks from either team/jungler. Technically he is not feeding in the slightest as the opponent is 6/7. But once the laning phase ends, compared to me that top lane opponent is fairly fed, with double my kills and solo lane CS just as I have. I feel like this 'relative feeding' has a decent impact on the rest of the match with me at a disadvantage. Is this something you would say exists, and if so how do I cope with it?

As the opposing top lane is typically more beefy with a significantly greater amount of kills than me (due to this relative feeding), I find that I can't take help him down as well as should, which causes my ratio to slip to 2/4 or so, and occasionally downhill from there.

Thanks for the help!

ExecutionerKen

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchancexi View Post
I have problems changing up my build. How do you learn to build situationally and are there any standard situational counter-building methods I should learn?
There are some counter building, but also some item that is consider "core" for champion.

For example, if the enemy got a thornmail, it is really basic to counter-build by buying some lifesteal item, so that you don't kill yourself due to the thronmail.

As for core, pretty much all auto-attack base jungler will get wriggle.

ExecutionerKen

01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizuremai View Post
I have 3 questions.

1) I typically play support (bot) or caster (mid), and I was wondering if there were a situation that would arise that would make it more beneficial to not instantly take a tower than not. (especially in the laning phase).

2) As waves come from the base, are there any benefits or downsides to regulating towers/minions/lasthits to build up a giant wave of minions to help you push or not push? What situation would you want to use either one of these methods if at all.

3) I'm usually 2/0, 3/1 or so which is pretty decent. Meanwhile in top lane (or bottom) my ally goes 7/6 or so due to ganks from either team/jungler. Technically he is not feeding in the slightest as the opponent is 6/7. But once the laning phase ends, compared to me that top lane opponent is fairly fed, with double my kills and solo lane CS just as I have. I feel like this 'relative feeding' has a decent impact on the rest of the match with me at a disadvantage. Is this something you would say exists, and if so how do I cope with it?
1. Yes, generally I found it important to take tower if you have high mobility character that can easily gank and take enemy jungle and go to other lanes, but if you don't have those kind of characters, it is some time better to leave that tower up, and force the enemy under the tower with character such as caitlyn or trydamere, who can easily outrange the enemy/ dive in and get out alive. The enemy tower is the best tool to deny the enemy gold.

However, you can also take it so that you can gain more control on the map, it is up to the team comp and the situation.

2. Controlling the minion is quite a scary skill, especially when you have super minions.

For example, if you have super minions coming up from top, and enemy just have normal wave, sometime it is better to let the minion to push on their own, rather than helping them, so that they stack up a huge wave that enemy can't ignore, meanwhile you can take major buff such as baron or dragon.

3. If you are at an advantage early on, consider ganking other lanes after level 6 or having any major item that you need.

Hizuremai

01-12-2012

Thanks for advice, I also welcome advice from others who would like to comment. ty