Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gat Malice

02-11-2013

A few questions.. I've only been playing for a month or so.

As Kog'maw, adc:

How should I build him? Usually I go boots 3 pots -> boots 2 vamp scepter, then from there sometimes I go straight into Blade of the ruined king and Runaan's. Is this a good way to go? Or would a more traditional BT -> PD be advisable? I like Blade + aspd items because of his W.

On Caitlyn ADC:

I go boots 3 pots -> vamp sceptre, boots 2, then IE and Runaan's or PD.

When should I get Phantom Dancer, and when should I get Runaan's?

Additionally, is Mundo a viable pick for Solo Top to learn when I get level 30 for ranked play?
Also, for jungling Nocturne.. I played a few games with him and built him fairly defensively. I couldn't really get any kills though, should I play him more agressive? What sort of items would you guys suggest? All guides suggest 9/21/0 masteries with maybe 1 or 2 offensive items (BC/Frozen Mallet) then all defensive from there.

Thanks in advance.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gat Malice View Post
A few questions.. I've only been playing for a month or so.

As Kog'maw, adc:

How should I build him? Usually I go boots 3 pots -> boots 2 vamp scepter, then from there sometimes I go straight into Blade of the ruined king and Runaan's. Is this a good way to go? Or would a more traditional BT -> PD be advisable? I like Blade + aspd items because of his W.

On Caitlyn ADC:

I go boots 3 pots -> vamp sceptre, boots 2, then IE and Runaan's or PD.

When should I get Phantom Dancer, and when should I get Runaan's?

Additionally, is Mundo a viable pick for Solo Top to learn when I get level 30 for ranked play?
Also, for jungling Nocturne.. I played a few games with him and built him fairly defensively. I couldn't really get any kills though, should I play him more agressive? What sort of items would you guys suggest? All guides suggest 9/21/0 masteries with maybe 1 or 2 offensive items (BC/Frozen Mallet) then all defensive from there.

Thanks in advance.
1. Adjust your build as the enemy build. If they are building health, obviously BoTRK is a fine choice, but if they are building armor and resistance, stick to building the normal BT or IE depending on the situation.
Also, Runaan's is really not worth it in most cases, as you cannot make good use of attack modiflier (***Crit) so stick to PD is usually better.

2. Personally I believe Mundo is a fine pick, although the lack of AoE CC might make it hard for you to carry a team

3. Majority of Nocturne's damage rely on him being able to stay on top of his dusk trail. Keep practicing that and you should be able to see a huge differences. Tanky Noc build is fine.

AngryFlames

02-11-2013

Hi I have a few questions; I usually play top or bot on SR and recently I bought twisted fate to try him out. However, I've never had much experience with mid lane (and twisted fate) so I am doing horribly. The problem I have is getting ganked before I get to buy wards or overextending at times :/
I try to gank but I feel like if I don't stay in lane the enemy is going to push too hard
I would like some tips on how to play twisted fate in teamfights because I usually get melted and I feel like I do no damage and some tips on mid lane.

Thanks

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryFlames View Post
Hi I have a few questions; I usually play top or bot on SR and recently I bought twisted fate to try him out. However, I've never had much experience with mid lane (and twisted fate) so I am doing horribly. The problem I have is getting ganked before I get to buy wards or overextending at times :/
I try to gank but I feel like if I don't stay in lane the enemy is going to push too hard
I would like some tips on how to play twisted fate in teamfights because I usually get melted and I feel like I do no damage and some tips on mid lane.

Thanks
Twisted Fate are made mostly with 2 parts of skills

1. Timing + Positioning
2. Card Picking

Knowing when and where to go in is really important when you use your ultimate to gank. Preferably you want to ping yourself once then ping on the enemy (the one that you want to focus) once. If the laner has any CC they should be able to back you up. However, be aware that some bottom lane combo and top lane champs are really good are bursting TF down, and you should never go in before your laners does.

Example such as Jax, Taric + Graves combo, Sona + most AD will be the one that you don't want to engage first, make sure the teammates put in cc then go in.

As for getting ganked. TF must use his AoE ability to clear minion wave as fast as possible due to the fact that he lacks and escape. If there is a huge minion wave on the turret, enemy can easily gank it. If you found yourself being stuck with huge minion wave and you want to go, do not hesitate on calling the jungler to take farm. Also, red card + wild card combo is usually what you want to do to clear the minion wave fast and easy.

LarcyBrown

02-12-2013

hey i hear there is a hotkey to target champions only and not target minions, its the ~ key at the left of 1.
Now is this accurate? and if it is is there anyone who plays this game who actually uses it?

ExecutionerKen

02-13-2013

Yes, there is some skill that allows you to turn on the champion only button, but most of the time you won't need it

I am not sure about the key, however, as I never used it before.

ExecutionerKen

02-17-2013

bump

Update on free coaching, and more

Hirumonogatari

02-17-2013

Hi, copy pasting this from another thread because there are apparently 2 Q&A threads now. (it's all good though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
got a question for you, since it just came up recently. what should you do as the adc when the enemy bruiser is diving you? kite him backwards?

i has this situation in the last game i played. rammus initiated by powerballing and ulting. teamfight starts. i as the adc stood at the back shooting whoever i can. the trundle starts to make a beeline for me, as does their xin. i immediately move backwards, shooting trundle as i go. xin goes back into the middle of the teamfight, trundle keeps chasing. enemy twitch gets a quadra while i use my escape since trundle used his pillar.

i then got flamed hard for "not being in the fight". was i supposed to stand still and let trundle (and maybe xin) take me out? trundle was tanky, but it's the safest target for me to hit and he's coming right at me. if i jumped right into the middle, i may be able to take twitch out, but whether he or i go down first will be a matter of luck.

ExecutionerKen

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSZHUNG View Post
Hi, copy pasting this from another thread because there are apparently 2 Q&A threads now. (it's all good though)
In this case it comes down to two questions
1. Is Trundle a threat to you?
2. Are your team strong enough that you can trade carries.

For 1, most of the time you can ignore a Trundle for a good period of time, because most Trundle players will build relatively tanky and can't take you down fast enough. Even though his Q will reduce your AD, it might be wise for you to just ignore him and go join in the middle of the fight

For 2, If the rest of the team comp is stronger than the enemy team (Such as Jax and Ryze on your team, both are high damage and can take damage) then feel free to go ham and just trade carries. Twitch will most likely outscale all AD carry if the enemies are lined up for his ultimate, which make it worth it for you to try to trade AD carry for AD carry.

Due to the fact that Twitch got a qudra kill, I personally believe that the team fight was fought poorly on your side and whether you join or not will not make much of a differences.

Hirumonogatari

02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
In this case it comes down to two questions
1. Is Trundle a threat to you?
2. Are your team strong enough that you can trade carries.

For 1, most of the time you can ignore a Trundle for a good period of time, because most Trundle players will build relatively tanky and can't take you down fast enough. Even though his Q will reduce your AD, it might be wise for you to just ignore him and go join in the middle of the fight

For 2, If the rest of the team comp is stronger than the enemy team (Such as Jax and Ryze on your team, both are high damage and can take damage) then feel free to go ham and just trade carries. Twitch will most likely outscale all AD carry if the enemies are lined up for his ultimate, which make it worth it for you to try to trade AD carry for AD carry.

Due to the fact that Twitch got a qudra kill, I personally believe that the team fight was fought poorly on your side and whether you join or not will not make much of a differences.
a large part of the reason for the quadra was because everyone was focused on the low health naut. can't do much when people aren't smart like that.

even though it wouldn't have made much difference, i would still like to know the right call to make in such situations since decision making is such an integral part to LoL.

so your opinion is that i should have stayed, ignored trundle and attack a higher priority target? or was it a good call to bail so we didn't get aced?