Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungril View Post
Hey ken,

asking for some tips on 5 vs 5 ranked games. Me and my friends have been interested in 5 vs 5 ranked games for a while now and have played a couple of games, but lost. I think it's because we are aiming for kills and objectives but have no strategy. I'm not necessarily asking for a strategy because their are no straight forward strategies, but i'm asking for some tips when it comes to counter-ganks, taking objectives, and other elements we, as a team need to take advantage of to get ahead of the enemy team. Thanks.
This question involves too much with team comp, positions of the team, and the skill level of the players, I am sorry that I can't answer this question.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethri View Post
^All I can say to that is to pay attention to where the enemy team is and abuse their map positioning. You can usually predict where the enemy jungler is based upon their buff spawn times. You may also be able to coordinate attacks if you notice any patterns in their playing. Then again, I'm not the OP nor do I know much about 5v5.

Anyways, I have some questions to pester Ken with too...

1. How do you generally go about learning the skills/ cdr/ mana costs/ damage/ tricks/ combos/counters of champions? Do you just study free week champions, one a day, etc? I admittedly haven't even memorized the champion I main.

2. So I hear the best time to take advantage of the enemy is when their skills are on cooldown. How does someone punish skill failures without taking too much minion damage (bushes warded).
1. I usually group the skills timer into 3 groups. One is low cooldown (Such as Ryze Q and Ezreal Q), then the other one is medium cooldown (such as Kat's Q, and Ezreal's E) and finally long cooldown (Such as Veigar's E and all the champions ultimate)

This way I have a general understanding of the skill cooldown, even if I don't remember the exact cooldown.

2. Generally speaking you only take minion damage if you walk straight ontop of the enemy (past minions) or you auto the enemy/ uses skill that will draw aggro (such as GP and Ezreal's Q) so you want to use the autoattack without aggroing the minons, or just use spells.

margalolwut

01-24-2013

Hey Ken,

for a while ive been poised to ask something. I have this badge from doing 3s (played every single match and did well, 5s teams is close to gold this season, so i feel i know what im doing to a certain extent)..

but at what point do you think "playstyle" should change? I was mid 1400s this season, ended up tanking to 1189... then i figured it would be a good opportunity to see if one can "carry" out, turns it you can. I am in mid 1300s right now...The few games ive lost have been because i didnt perform, i admit i dropped the ball in a game or two, but at what point should i stop trying to "carry" and focus on playing smart? I ask this because i recently que'd up with a high rated friend and ended up playing with people 1503 and above.. I intend on getting to 1400 this weekend.. but as far as i remember, people still drop the ball quite often there.

ExecutionerKen

01-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by margalolwut View Post
Hey Ken,

for a while ive been poised to ask something. I have this badge from doing 3s (played every single match and did well, 5s teams is close to gold this season, so i feel i know what im doing to a certain extent)..

but at what point do you think "playstyle" should change? I was mid 1400s this season, ended up tanking to 1189... then i figured it would be a good opportunity to see if one can "carry" out, turns it you can. I am in mid 1300s right now...The few games ive lost have been because i didnt perform, i admit i dropped the ball in a game or two, but at what point should i stop trying to "carry" and focus on playing smart? I ask this because i recently que'd up with a high rated friend and ended up playing with people 1503 and above.. I intend on getting to 1400 this weekend.. but as far as i remember, people still drop the ball quite often there.
Carrying will happen until your skill level is on par with the others, so as long as you are still climbing, stick to the style you are using right now.

Until you feel like you can't carry/ the other players obviously outskill you, then just play the game safe and ensure you will win via decision makiing.

ZXPrototype

01-24-2013

Hey there I have a pretty generic question that I've always been struggling, even since S1.
When you start building an advantage early to mid game, how do you press it to victory? I've had soo many games where my team is snowballed but we can't seem to get the win locked in. It'll come to that point where dragon is dead and we're too low level to try baron and they're on their inner turrets. What can you do to get a strong push in? Even if we catch one person out I still can't seem to find how to pressure their base hard enough to win. Thanks

ExecutionerKen

01-24-2013

Poke and split are the keys. If you can split up and make the minion wave push, the enemy will either have to give up a turret or split their team as well, which will make the fights in your favor as they do not have the advantage.

Definety

01-25-2013

Hey Ken,

So from time to time i like to play ADC though i would play AP/Support champs, I get the urge to play one of my all time favorite ADCs. Which is Ashe and back then when i played her in S2 and S1, my builds worked perfectly fine and i was carrying but now in S3 it doesn't seem so anymore. It doesn't seem like i started sucking with her more but rather my presence sort of dropped. During laneing phase I usually start out with a boot and 3 pots since you kind of need some regen and MS since Ashe is one of the slowest in the game. I have 50 atk(when i start out in the game since I don't really have much AD runes) and normally i do well in my lane. I rarely lose it but when the game proceeds into mid game, I feel like I'm not there or I'm just there for landing my ultimate and volleys. I have decent farm too. I have at least an IE and half a BT by then. So I just wanted to ask if there was anything wrong with my Ashe. Is it because I lack the AD runes, my build is wrong, or is something off about my play style?
Oh by the way, I'm in the 1400-1500 bracket.

ExecutionerKen

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definety View Post
Hey Ken,

So from time to time i like to play ADC though i would play AP/Support champs, I get the urge to play one of my all time favorite ADCs. Which is Ashe and back then when i played her in S2 and S1, my builds worked perfectly fine and i was carrying but now in S3 it doesn't seem so anymore. It doesn't seem like i started sucking with her more but rather my presence sort of dropped. During laneing phase I usually start out with a boot and 3 pots since you kind of need some regen and MS since Ashe is one of the slowest in the game. I have 50 atk(when i start out in the game since I don't really have much AD runes) and normally i do well in my lane. I rarely lose it but when the game proceeds into mid game, I feel like I'm not there or I'm just there for landing my ultimate and volleys. I have decent farm too. I have at least an IE and half a BT by then. So I just wanted to ask if there was anything wrong with my Ashe. Is it because I lack the AD runes, my build is wrong, or is something off about my play style?
Oh by the way, I'm in the 1400-1500 bracket.
I only found one game history with ashe on your match history, but I will go over that.

First off, you are building both BT and IE before you finishing zeal. While that does increase your volley damage as much as possible, it will deny your autoattack daamge, because you do not have any attack speed.

In order to balance this out, you should have PD or Shiv as your second major item, before finishing the 2nd BF item.

Now, lets move onto runes, yes, you will need the AD, because it completely change the early game. People with AD runes compare to the ones that don't have them can have up to 30% damage increase, depend on how the runes are setup.

Masteries wise I am not sure why you are taking monster damage reduction, you may want to go over that.

Sereg Anfaug

01-25-2013

I've just redone my rune pages, and I'm looking at the one I have for AD versus AP Mid(a very rare circumstance, since I almost never play mid and when I do I tend to play AP champs, but I've played AD vs. AP matchups before and have a page to spare for the special case).

Right now it's set up with MS quints, flat AD reds, flat MR yellows, and scaling MR blues. I'm curious whether flat AD, AS, or ArPen are the better options for marks, or whether they're situational, in which case what makes each type ideal, and which set is best if I can only spare one page for this niche scenario. Other improvements you can suggest will also be welcome.

ExecutionerKen

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
I've just redone my rune pages, and I'm looking at the one I have for AD versus AP Mid(a very rare circumstance, since I almost never play mid and when I do I tend to play AP champs, but I've played AD vs. AP matchups before and have a page to spare for the special case).

Right now it's set up with MS quints, flat AD reds, flat MR yellows, and scaling MR blues. I'm curious whether flat AD, AS, or ArPen are the better options for marks, or whether they're situational, in which case what makes each type ideal, and which set is best if I can only spare one page for this niche scenario. Other improvements you can suggest will also be welcome.
Run AD red for high poke champion (such as Pantheon)
Armor pen for high bruiser via skills champion (such as Talon)
AS is rare as hell, but it can be put on Kayle.

Finally, I personally believe that flat MR yellow is not worth it, secondary rune is just bad to have in most cases.