Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dopuche

01-26-2012

How do you solo lane against ranged champs on a cho'gath? I get zoned out really easily and can't do much back because of mana and Cho's long cooldowns.

BendyBread

01-26-2012

I hope you dont mind if I ask a few champion specific questions.

1. Do you know of any definite solo tops that Riven can not lane against? Is it advised that I pick her up? I want to learn a strong solo top and she seems fun. Can she carry a team?
2. When playing as Vladimir, once youre level 7-8, is it better to start going aggressive or should you just stay passive and then retaliate if they try harrass you? (more of general question for anyone).

3. Lastly for any Lux players. I was watching chu8 play Lux and he's fantastic. The main difference between his build and mine is he takes boots of mobility. Would you advise sacrificing the magic penetration from sorc boots for the ganking potential of the BoM? Or is that purely situational?
Lux is my main mage and I'm more than happy to expand my knowledge of how to play her, having played her for probably more than 100 games, I'm confident I can adjust myself without suffering to Brand, or malz, etc.

Sorry for so many questions D;

Maligannt

01-26-2012

I consistently find that I win my lane in CS and kills when I top or mid but when the game moves past laning and into team fights. I'm less and less useful. Is this a reflection of the champs I'm playing - Nid/Shyvana top, Morg mid. Do you have suggestions for other top/AP champs that scale better into late game?

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
sctwin:
Well, how about shen? He is pretty much my main (I kinda play him AP tank, I really love it when i ult a friend and the shield covers half his health And thanks for answerin.

Shen kinda lack the crowd control that other can offer, his taunt is amazing but it is his only real crowd control, his shield is good but you will often find it back after mid game.

For example, Alistar can do more because he can an enemy and also knock up the whole enemy team.

Blitzcrank on the other hand can knock up single target, Grab a person, and silence the whole enemy team (remember, his punch has low CD)

Recently there are many people who are trying to get shen buff, I think Riot need to update some old champion like Shen as well.

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
Fivecrowns:
In levels 6-11 how do I know when it is a good idea to turret dive an enemy? I was playing nasus and our alkali came bot to help out, and runs into turret to kill amumu(60%) but I hang back because I don't think it is smart to engage and then get bandaged in turret range. So our alkali dies and says I'm terrible. I guess my question is when is it smart to turret dive, and what conditions do you look for when you do so? Would you dive while playing a character that doesn't have an escape eg. sanguine pool, kass flash or flash summoner spell?

Sorry if this has been asked, I didn't want to read 15 pages

It is smart to dive a turret if.
1. Enemy doesn't have strong cc (such as snare, stun, or suppression.
2. Enemy doesn't have a strong escape (such as Vlad's pool, Nidalee's pounce)
3. Enemy is within your burst range (aka, can you kill him FAST)

If you think you can do all the above 3 perfectly, then just make sure no enemy is MIA on your map, and proceed to dive him.

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
Huudi:
Hi sweet thread

I'm still building up some runes for ranked, and would like to flesh out the champs a bit more.

My two rune pages are split into Arpen, armor, and MR with those same three things as quints for my physical and Mpen, armor, and AP/level with CDR, MR and AR quints for ap classes.

I have been saving up IP for which I would truthfully prefer to buy champions, but what gaps do I need to fill in my runes/rune pages for being ready for solo q?

I have some attack speed marks as well, I've consider AD marks but I feel Arpen allows me to then focus on typical dmg items like PD/BT/IE. Any advice on preparing rune-wise would be appreciated

You need another page either for support or jungler if you want to go serious in ranked, otherwise, these two pages sound solid to me.

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
dopuche:
How do you solo lane against ranged champs on a cho'gath? I get zoned out really easily and can't do much back because of mana and Cho's long cooldowns.

Cho'gath's passive is the key. If you last hit with the skills, and try to line it up with the enemy champion, chances is that the enemy ranged champion will not have enough sustain to fight with you.

The other thing is that ranged champions tend to be REALLY SQUISHY. Once chogath hits level 6, his knock up, silence and feast combo is usually enough to burst 90% of enemy hp if all hits, so ABUSE the true damage on feast.

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
Solatoral:
I hope you dont mind if I ask a few champion specific questions.

1. Do you know of any definite solo tops that Riven can not lane against? Is it advised that I pick her up? I want to learn a strong solo top and she seems fun. Can she carry a team?
2. When playing as Vladimir, once youre level 7-8, is it better to start going aggressive or should you just stay passive and then retaliate if they try harrass you? (more of general question for anyone).

3. Lastly for any Lux players. I was watching chu8 play Lux and he's fantastic. The main difference between his build and mine is he takes boots of mobility. Would you advise sacrificing the magic penetration from sorc boots for the ganking potential of the BoM? Or is that purely situational?
Lux is my main mage and I'm more than happy to expand my knowledge of how to play her, having played her for probably more than 100 games, I'm confident I can adjust myself without suffering to Brand, or malz, etc.

Sorry for so many questions D;

Riven is a really strong solo top, I had only seen her with some problem if the enemy gangplank tries to zone her, but it will be solve by the time Riven gets her wriggle.

2. A general key for all ap mid is that you should start playing aggressively once you pass level 7-8 (with the exception of Veigar). You need the kills to help other lanes and establish their advantage.

3. BoM and Sorc Boot is personally reference, I believe that chu8 took the BoM mainly because he wants to keep moving as Lux, which is a really important part as Lux's movement can totally decide on the placement of the spells, Sorc boot is really iffy unless you want all the damage you can early on, and there are times when you want other boots, such as mercury thread if the enemy have heavy cc, so adjust depend on the situation.

ExecutionerK

01-26-2012

Quote:
Maligannt:
I consistently find that I win my lane in CS and kills when I top or mid but when the game moves past laning and into team fights. I'm less and less useful. Is this a reflection of the champs I'm playing - Nid/Shyvana top, Morg mid. Do you have suggestions for other top/AP champs that scale better into late game?

Morg's true power rely on her slow and stun and spell shield, you will win your lane because of your passive, but that is not your skill, it is just some build in advantage that Morg have.

So start ganking lane rather than farming all day, you need to make other lanes to win as well, just having 1 lane winning is often not enough to carry the game, but if there are 2 or even 3 lanes winning, it will be much easier as the enemy can no longer just focus on killing one person to win a team fight.

Martyrofsand

01-26-2012

Do you have any tips for playing Sona. I'm 600 IP away from buying her and even though I play support a lot she looks very different from the other support characters I've played, Soraka/Janna/Jayle. It looks like she is so heavily designed to support that she has little to no farming capability. What is the best build when playing her and how do you really go about getting gold for items?