Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DCMagic

05-22-2012

Is it a good idea to go through all of the free people each week or at least the common ones to figure out how to play as them that way when you are fighting against them, I am familiar with how they work as they grow so i am able to understand how to counter them later on in the game. Basically figuring out how they work to counteract against them by being them if that makes sense. Thanks

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMagic View Post
Is it a good idea to go through all of the free people each week or at least the common ones to figure out how to play as them that way when you are fighting against them, I am familiar with how they work as they grow so i am able to understand how to counter them later on in the game. Basically figuring out how they work to counteract against them by being them if that makes sense. Thanks
If you don't have a main yet, playing all the free champions allow you to find a champion that you are interested in. If you already have one, play the same type that is free as well, that way you know you lane match up much easier.

Tectonic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2012

I just recently made the switch from bots to pvp and there are a few questions I have about discretion.
1. when playing the jungler, how much should I ward? I almost never end up on a team with anyone warding but me, on one hand people will die if we dont dont know where the enemy team is, but if I buy wards i dont have that money for other things. Also, where should I prioritize my wards, bottom lane, dragon, baron, top? As a support, should I be warding more than just my own lane?

2. How much armor/magic resist is too much? When playing jungle shen/shyv I can see that Im getting diminishing returns for each additional point, but at what point is the money spent on those points better allocated elsewhere? Also I have no earthly idea how much armor/magic resist to buy when supporting as janna/sona/soraka.

ExecutionerK

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron020 View Post
I just recently made the switch from bots to pvp and there are a few questions I have about discretion.
1. when playing the jungler, how much should I ward? I almost never end up on a team with anyone warding but me, on one hand people will die if we dont dont know where the enemy team is, but if I buy wards i dont have that money for other things. Also, where should I prioritize my wards, bottom lane, dragon, baron, top? As a support, should I be warding more than just my own lane?

2. How much armor/magic resist is too much? When playing jungle shen/shyv I can see that Im getting diminishing returns for each additional point, but at what point is the money spent on those points better allocated elsewhere? Also I have no earthly idea how much armor/magic resist to buy when supporting as janna/sona/soraka.
1. 2 wards on the map is usually all you need for the map control, 1 ward at enemy wraith ramp can see the movement between top and mid, while another ward at dragon is usually enough to cover mid to bot

2. Depend, you can always go for high eHP with stacking resistance when you want to heal up, for example, two champions with same ad and lifesteal will lifesteal the same amount, but the one who is stacking armor and magic resist will get more eHP heal from the same amount of HP

Usually you want at least 100 armor and ~90 MR to prevent yourself from getting burst down, stacking armor will happen more than MR, however.

DCMagic

05-23-2012

I'm working my way through the thread and am learning a lot thanks for that. You keep on mentioning the dragon and the importance of it. What are you meaning by that? I belief I know what dragon you are talking about but why is it so important and what is the advantage of attacking it when the enemy is attacking.

ExecutionerK

05-23-2012

Quote:
I'm working my way through the thread and am learning a lot thanks for that. You keep on mentioning the dragon and the importance of it. What are you meaning by that? I belief I know what dragon you are talking about but why is it so important and what is the advantage of attacking it when the enemy is attacking.
Early game dragon provide 190 * 5 +25 gold, making it a really important object to take down.

Also, when a team is doing dragon, the dragon does a lot of damage on the enemy at early level, making it really important to try to kill the enemy while they are attacking the dragon (it is pretty much dealing as much damage as half of a turret can do)

Voidjames

05-24-2012

Is your ELO for solo/duo queue different to your team ELO?

DCMagic

05-24-2012

Ive been reading through this thread and am on page 26 over a few days of reading and applying. Besides build and masteries, how do the different roles affect the game? From what I've played in the premade or with friends at a low summoner level I havent really seen the different things come into affect other than I kinda understand tanks. Basically could you do a synopsis on the different roles of the game and why they are important for a new player. Thanks for the thread its been a huge help so far.

killerb0y

Recruiter

05-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidjames View Post
Is your ELO for solo/duo queue different to your team ELO?
Yes, it's different.

Quote:
Ive been reading through this thread and am on page 26 over a few days of reading and applying. Besides build and masteries, how do the different roles affect the game? From what I've played in the premade or with friends at a low summoner level I havent really seen the different things come into affect other than I kinda understand tanks. Basically could you do a synopsis on the different roles of the game and why they are important for a new player. Thanks for the thread its been a huge help so far.
Most teams have a variation on these roles:

- Top = Tanky bruiser/DPS

- Mid = AP carry

- Jungle = Tanky bruiser/DPS

- Bot = AD carry & Support

Tanky bruisers are essentially the tanks in the game.

The 'carries' (AP and AD) are there to provide damage - AP carries do magic damage, AD carries do physical damage. Usually you want both types of damage on a team, so the enemy team can't easily itemize against you.

Support is there to support the whole team, e.g. via warding, etc. Often, AD carries are weak early game, so you have a support to lane with the AD carry to protect them.

If you'd like for some more experienced players to walk you through the game, have a look at this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1849187

Gonno

05-26-2012

If I'm top laning with Riven, how should I keep my lane from pushing? When I go to harass with E-W-Q or whatever, everything does AoE damage and hits the minions, not to mention myself getting aggro from the minions so mine survive longer.

If I try for a kill or something with ult and they manage to get away and heal up, my minions are pushed all the way to their tower and they can just farm underneath while I'm super susceptible to jungler ganks because I'm overextended. Sometimes the lane stays pushed for a long time and I just lose all momentum I could have gained from harassing them.

So how can I prevent pushing the lane in the first place, and how can I fix it if the wave does get pushed?