What are Yorick's counters? And what can Yorick do to counter the counters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GoodShepperd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

I have had luck with renekton against Yorick, he's strong enough to bully you around before lvl 6, i imagine garen could do the same

Paulacid

01-09-2012

I would say you should harass harass harass. Keep your lane warded after your first B, and noone should be able to gank you. One thing Yoricks NEVER do enough when trying to escape is use their Q as an escape tool. ALWAYS pop your Q on a minion if one is nearby and you need speed. The .5 seconds it takes to hit the minion will be made up very quickly when you're sped up and your enemies are slowed.

Garen is hella weak against Yorick BTW. Just don't let him use his passive. If he shines like he's going to silence you, just harass and walk away, otherwise you have nothing to fear. Garen is weak against kiting and Yorick is the kitingest mo-fo on the block.

umadibet

01-09-2012

yorick has no counter.. trundle can sit and regen and tryn can heal just fine.

Nasus as a counter??
ok this kid has problems

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodShepperd View Post
I have had luck with renekton against Yorick, he's strong enough to bully you around before lvl 6, i imagine garen could do the same
I don't know....it seems like Yorick is Garen's counter rather than the other way around. If he tries to silence me, I just use my W to stop him in his tracks, and then pop in my E to heal a bit and deal a bit more damage. This is also exactly how I counter Volibear with Yorick as well....and pretty much any other champions that rely on movement speed modifiers to close gaps, unless it's Yi.

CroakerX

01-09-2012

I'll start off by saying that I almost exclusively play Yorick. I agree with the people who said that Yorick doesn't have any specific counters at solo top. With Yorick I can start solo top with a Meki Pendant and a ward, as I don't need pots to sustain or keep harassing.

That being said, Yorick does have a couple of people I consider counters from the enemy jungle.
Rammus and Skarner roll right past your wards and are in your face before you can gtfo. How do you counter them? Place your ward further out. Keep wards out. Never stop the wards. If you have the lane warded, you should have no issues with your sustain top and be able to harass constantly.

BONUS SECTION:

Akali: Every time you see her, hit her with everything you can. Last time I played an akali I ended up with 169 CS while she had 23 as she couldn't. Do. Anything. She doesn't have the sustain at level 1 to keep up with you, and you can safely farm from behind her minions to keep her from even last hitting with Mark of the Assassin.

Nasus: Same as akali. Don't let him get to minions.

Cho'Gath: If you can, kill him right away. If you don't, you won't be able to stop his free farm (which is alright, as you usually scale better into the late game).

Tryndamere: If he spins to you, hit him with WEQ. If he pursues and isn't low, run; if he runs away, chase and keep auto-ing him.

Irelia: You won't keep her from farming. Keep your lane warded and get every minion.

Garen: Don't let him run up to you at levels 1 and 2. If he ever tries to after that, use all of your ghouls and just whale on him, he'll drop so much faster than you. If he's staying far back in lane just waiting for his passive to come on, toss a W back towards him to chase him around and knock off his passive.

Renekton: Don't have minions between yourself and him or he will E to you. Harrass like crazy so he's forced to use his fury on cull the meek to sustain.

Udyr: He's harder to stop farming than irelia. Just keep those wards out in the river.

Talon: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Do the same thing as akali and he'll be forced to recall or die every 2 minutes.

Singed: Hit him with all 3 ghouls and start whaling on him every time he tries to poison trail farm your creeps.

Gangplank: You come out ahead on harass starting level 2. Do so.

Ezreal, Kennen: I saw somebody suggest these, and I would just like to say: THEY ARE VERY WRONG. Skillshot champions are actually COUNTERED by Yorick, as he can just throw an E between Ez/Kennen and Yorick/Yorick's team, effectively making their skillshots useless as they just hit ghouls.

Trundle: Same as Udyr and Irelia.

Malph:
"Malphite is a pretty good counter to Yorick surprisingly. A Malph that takes 2 health pots and a meki and focuses on Shard can beat Yorick.

The reason is because of his passive shield which regens so quickly and takes a lot of the sting out of Yoricks W/Es. It also has pretty good range such that Yorick can only usually get off the AoE W and not land the E...mostly cuz Malphs Q will slow Yorick and speed up malph.

Yorick does heal with his E but a Malph with an early Chalice and maxed shard CAN trade blows with Yorick and come out ahead.

Its not a bad spot for Malphite either who either jungles or takes top solo. It helps ensure that you have a pretty strong initiator/tanky guy."
The way I see it, this guy is completely right. HOWEVER, you can counter him as Yorick by doing the same things I said to do as Udyr, Irelia, Trundle. If the malphite DOES build chalice, he'll be 900 gold behind just because he wanted to harass a Yorick in lane? *laughs hysterically*

Maokai:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerXXX *******http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif******** (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=19587226#post19587226)
Sorry for quoting a 'wall' of text, but I noticed you didn't put Maokai there. And Maokai > Yorick. How?

If you try to harass Maokai, he throws a Q behind him and doesn't care, then heals it all with his passive.

If you try to spam everything on Maokai, he puts down his ultimate and bursts you harder (Sapling damage OP).

If you turret hug against Maokai because he'll kill you if you walk away from the turret, he pushes hard to the turret with his OP Saplings, throws down his ultimate and calmly whacks at the turret. If you try to damage him, it will all be reduced and reflected (then he'll add that to his burst and kill you).

Oh, and Maokai can greatly assist his jungler with a gank. Ever tried to get away from a 650 range 1-2 second snare/gap-closer, a 200 ranged knockback (that's towards his turret, because you've been snared for 1-2 seconds so you can't avoid it)/20-48% slow, and whatever CC the jungler has? Oh, did I mention the ~600 damage burst Maokai has right off the bat?

Even Yorick can't heal through Maokai's burst - 400 or so damage every 12 seconds. Yes it drains mana, but it takes more HP.

- A Maokai Player (who faced a Yorick yesterday)

Your points are all legitimate and I see where you're coming from. However, I don't agree.

First of all, I generally treat Mao the same way I said I treat Udyr; namely, I farm and ignore them. That being said, no, a Mao would not kill me. Why?

1. I run HP Regen/5 quints.
2. Omen of Famine every 5 seconds gets you back to full hp in about 15 seconds.
3. Maokai's burst isn't nearly enough to burst down a Yorick to half health, much less none. Especially because I run
4. Magic Resist glyphs (and masteries).
5. I won't be near you if you get a gank. As I said, I place a lot of wards and make sure they're far enough out to avoid the jungler.
6. Mao does not have unlimited mana; you act as if he does. You can't use all three spells every 12 seconds, and even if you can, so can yorick.
7. If you sapling me, advance me, and smash me, and I famine you, pestilence you, and war you, I will come out with much less hp loss than you.
8. Omen of Famine every 5 seconds heals for much, much, much more than 7% of Mao's hp every 5 spells.
9. If you try to harass me in lane with sapling, I'll press T (my hotkey for laugh) cast an E where the sapling landed, and have the sapling blow up on the ghoul (doing nothing to me)
10. Even if you do get me low, I can just teleport back out again right away.

Let me go add this to my wall of text now please.

"In instances where I push them to their turret, should I still harass or farm the two golems in the team jungle?" You forgot the best option: Kill the turret. If you have enough minions, their attacks will do more damage to themselves than to you, and the sooner you kill their turret the sooner you can run around the map harassing their jungler, pushing down other turrets, helping secure dragon.

"My W is AoE, so I occasionally hit enemy ranged minions in an attempt to harass. This won't kill them, but they weaken the ranged minions by a bit, giving my own minions an advantage and pushing. And because of my harass, my enemies won't be farming as often as I will be too, further giving my own minions more pushing power. I often find myself wasting mana to scout the lower bush with my W."

Either try to cast W in a place where it doesn't hit the minions or wait 1 or 2 seconds until they're out of the minions. As far as scouting the lower bush with W goes, don't. Nobody there will worry you. If you know where in the bush they are, hit move forward as if to farm then turn to the bush and hit them with everything.

BONUS BONUS SECTION:
If the enemy stays near their bushes to run in when you harass them, try to cast W as close to the bush as possible so that the ghoul is in the bush and sticks with him, then grab him with E

Chuphenj

01-09-2012

Believe it or not, Lane Udyr hard counters Yorick. Maxing W will make his ghouls do 0 dmg to you, plus, you can heal off of them or just farm minions. If he tries to come close and Q you, you can activate Q to trade hits. Yorick can't constantly harass you close range since Udyr will outdamage, and at range, Udyr will just turtle past the ghouls and farm.

Lord Sunday IV

01-10-2012

But yeah, from my own experience and the replies here, it seems that we agree that Yorick doesn't really have a hard counter in-lane, and it's the jungler that makes the difference. Often, I've found that the Jungler isn't threatening unless they get kills from mid/bot first. They can make your life hell, but it's not until later that they secure kills. (And it's rare enough, that if you take teleport you can be back in lane before they can make any real ground on you)

Ginga

Recruiter

01-10-2012

Funny enough, unless it's Shaco, I rarely have problems with junglers. I think my movement speed Quints make me just fast enough to outrun most early game ganks even without boots.

btw, might as well ask here, how is lifesteal on Yorick? Does it work with his ghouls? At very very late game, like when everyone's build is complete, I find that Yorick doesn't heal fast enough with just his Famine Ghoul when Talon, or the entire enemy team focus fires him down. My team mates expect me to soak up the enemy's damage, but I'm not really a tank...

RapidOffensive

01-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Funny enough, unless it's Shaco, I rarely have problems with junglers. I think my movement speed Quints make me just fast enough to outrun most early game ganks even without boots.

btw, might as well ask here, how is lifesteal on Yorick? Does it work with his ghouls? At very very late game, like when everyone's build is complete, I find that Yorick doesn't heal fast enough with just his Famine Ghoul when Talon, or the entire enemy team focus fires him down. My team mates expect me to soak up the enemy's damage, but I'm not really a tank...
You should be pretty tanky though no? LS assumes they have no cc which is unlikely if they are whaling on you.
AD is key for him but surely Manumume + Sheen/TF means you are hitting super hard already?

And end game Yorick probably has Manumune/TF/Frozen/Veil (and/or maybe Visage or Hexdrinker), possibly a Warmogs/Guardian Angel etc...you will also likely have your ult up - if the opposing teams spend all their cc and dmg output killing you twice over (three times with a Guardian up) when you have that much tankage wtf are your carries going to be doing to them in the meantime?

Paulacid

01-11-2012

Gross. You said TF and Yorick in the same post. Bad idea IMO. (Mained Yorick for 2-3 months)