What stops Volibear from being overpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LancerXXX

01-08-2012

OK, let me start this off like all QQ threads:

I just played a game with a Volibear who went 18/8/6. Champions were:

Ashe, Zilean, Kassadin, Amumu, Ezreal (me) vs. Olaf, Volibear, Anivia, Kayle, Ahri.

The Volibear jungled, and I admit to feeding him 2 kills by 10 minutes. However, when a Volibear comes charging at you out of the jungle (he had taken a few kills in the other lanes too), with massive movement speed from Rolling Thunder, what do you do as Ezreal? Arcane Shift + Flash just doesn't cut it against a 540 speed monster, and considering that he was on full health + passive, and I was on ~1/2, he could turret dive with impunity.

Later in the game, Ashe and Amumu tried to Baron while the other champions' attention was elsewhere... hopefully. Anivia tried to stop us, she died, then Volibear came in, took Baron with Frenzy, and 1v3'd us. Amumu was low from Baron, but Ashe and I were full, so I don't see how a champion can be strong enough to be able to 1v3 a tank and 2 carries with nothing but tank gear and a Reverie.

Perhaps we just needed more burst damage, perhaps we needed someone like Veigar or Leona or Singed to shut down his chasing capabilities. Whatever the case, his passive and pure tank gear allowed him to 1v1 anyone, and be unkillable at the same time. We simply did not have the burst to beat his passive. And Executioner's Calling is a sub-optimal item on Ezreal - perhaps better on Ashe, but this is solo queue and... teammates are not the best.

So what went wrong, and why isn't Volibear played more? He seems like the ultimate champion to crush DPS teams (actually very common), just as Katarina crushes teams with little hard CC.

So can anyone tell me: What went wrong here?

Carados

01-09-2012

Being kinda ****ty as a choice, basically.

LancerXXX

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Being kinda ****ty as a choice, basically.
And can you elaborate please?

Cenerae

01-09-2012

His passive can be countered by ignite, or by simply bursting him down through it. It's the only part of his kit that makes him at all tanky, too.

His Q is good, but the movespeed boost only applies when he's chasing someone down, so he can't use it to back up.

His W is great, but it takes 3 hits to ramp up and it has a long cooldown. The AS buff largely goes to waste since most people kite him around (since he can't stop it).

His E is not very good. It does the job of following up after his fling, but nothing more than that

His R would be good if he could actually stay on a target and get lots of hits in, but this is rare, so it's usually not very good.

You had an Ashe, an Amumu and an Ezreal. What should have happened was Ashe permaslowing him, Amumu stunning him, and everyone kiting him around like crazy. If you actually allowed him to chase and auto people freely, then he would actually be in one of those rare situations where his kit is decent for killing people. Which means it was a horrible misplay on your team's part, especially considering you had an Ashe.

Volibear is an extremely weak champion. He just appears to be stronger than he really is because all his relevant damage is frontloaded onto his W. He has nothing after that. It may seem like intimidating burst damage, but when you consider his other 2 spells will barely do any damage, you realize it's really not.

darksidekitty

01-09-2012

If you think Volibear's W is op, get armor :P.
Volibear is a strong tank btw, his passive regenerates 30% of his hp when he's brought to 25% or less, that makes him very hard to kill, Ignite counters his passive.

Mik3r

01-09-2012

He gets easily kited, has no escape, and has a bit more trouble sticking to a target than other tanky dps.

Carados

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerXXX View Post
And can you elaborate please?
He's kinda a crappy jungler and a crappier laner, and he really has no damage other then his W's active.

On Summoner's Rift, he's kinda like a crappier singed.

My WIII frozed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2012

Madreds of course! (lol)
Well mumu Should be wuite good agaisnt dat fat bear because of his cry but since he was low the bear simply "w" him so basicly to win the fight you gotta do that: mumu runs like a fool, ashe and you atack him like cary (not muhc dmg probly) but when he swaps target (ashe probably) and uses his "w" mumu joins in to fight and using his stun (if he didnt used it earlier) ashe ult to stun too he should be like 1/5 by now, he cant take you guys down and just shut down his passive with an ignite if you dont have one and that he's pretty fed well..... you have a problem if he's not that fed you just finish him with mumu crying

LancerXXX

01-09-2012

The problem is that if Ashe is attacking him, that's damage wasted on Volibear that should be done to Olaf, Anivia, Kayle and Ahri. As I said, the Amumu was pretty bad and was never at the teamfights, gave Volibear a few early kills etc. But how is Volibear easily kited? Rolling Thunder + Shurelia's Reverie, and we had no strong CC. Ashe has a 35% slow - Volibear base movespeed ~ 400 with items, becomes ~1000 with both actives. GLHF kiting?

Mambazo

01-09-2012

Just CC when he throws on MS boosts, by the time it wears off he's a slow friggin bear again. His gap closer truly sucks. Unlike real gap closers that just "blink" you to the target like jax/xin/yi/irelia/maokai/wukong, his just gives him a short-lived MS boost. That only works when moving at targets.

Also... you had a zilean. He can permaslow that bear to a standstill and make him utterly worthless.