So... Stories.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpicyJackTheBard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-08-2012

I've been thinking about writing a series of stories (fanfiction, of course) about a relationship between my persona, the summoner Spicy Jack, the Bard of Bilgewater, and a very special champion. I can ensure you that the other summoners in the story are based off of some of the people that I play with on a regular basis, and that the conversations therein will reflect similar ones we've had over the course of our time together.

I suppose that I'm saying: Would any of you be interested in reading these stories as I write them?

belthazor3457

01-08-2012

Well, that's probably going to depend a lot on the quality of the story. Some people will flame-and-downrate author-insert fanfics simply because they are author-insert fanfics (and for good reason, a lot often tend to be "mary sue" style) Ultimately, what will make it popular is the execution.

But, I'd say, give it a try. Either people will like it, or they won't. Only one way to find out.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who's been given a "Lawful evil" alignment by someone in a different thread, made a forum post talking about slaughtering lots of innocent people and mentioning that I'd actually do it given a certain situation, and in another thread, setting up a contingency by pointing chemical weapons at major population centers to be deployed in the event of my death. If the above happened, it's a pretty good bet that I don't care what other people think about me. = )

My point in mentioning this? Well, I wrote an author-self-insert. I had some specific reasons for doing it, mostly sociological. It got popular. Point being, there is an audience for those types of stories. People will read it... but it depends on how you write it, and if you fall into the "mary sue" honey trap or not. But you'll only know after ya try.

SpicyJackTheBard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-08-2012

Well, the thing is that there's going to be a lot of "bro-talk" that takes place between my friends' and my allegories, and I'm going to try and keep those aspects of it as close to the truth as possible. However, I'm just a little bit worried about the "Mary Sue" aspects of the story.

belthazor3457

01-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyJackTheBard View Post
Well, the thing is that there's going to be a lot of "bro-talk" that takes place between my friends' and my allegories, and I'm going to try and keep those aspects of it as close to the truth as possible. However, I'm just a little bit worried about the "Mary Sue" aspects of the story.
The rule of thumb seems to be as follows:

If you start up the story by immediately announcing one character is heavily attracted to you from a romantic standpoint, that usually plants seeds of skepticism in people at the quality of the rest of it.

It might be better to introduce the setting and idea - and have a sizeable introduction describing the scene and why you wrote it - first.

If you make your character Über-powerful, you usually irritate people and raise skepticism.

The trick to pulling off an author-self-insert story is to not come across as a mary sue. Author-self-inserts are a style of writing that get a lot of flak in general simply because a large portion of the participants are author-fantasy-self-indulgant and create works that no one else would want to read. Generally, the more normal you make your character, the better.

Though in the case of league of legends, most author self inserts (the ones that are successful and well written) get away with giving themselves summoner-level abilities, since that's what most players are in lore.

In my case, I wrote myself as having zero summoner training and no special powers. I had a specific reason and motivation for doing so, however, it was part of the point of the whole fanfic.

So long as you don't make yourself godlike right off the bat, you'll probably be fine.

There are so many author-self-inserts that start with one of the above two flaws, that the lack thereof is usually a breath of fresh air to people, and they will go into reading your post with an optimistic mindset.

SpicyJackTheBard

Recruiter

01-09-2012

Thank you, gentlemen. With that advice in mind, I shall get to work on this series of stories right away.

SpicyJackTheBard

Recruiter

01-09-2012

For those that were interested in my fanfiction, I have posted it under the fanfiction subforum. If you want to read it, copy and paste the link below.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=19513011#post19513011