looking for teachers!! or help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwiftC3

01-09-2012

I still haven't played every champ, been playing since at least june of last year. Some champs I just don't care to play while i try to master each one I do play.

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
First step: Learn the roles.

"Tanking" isn't a thing in a multiplayer game without aggro mechanics.

The roles in this game have, and always be nuker, carry, support, disabler, and initiator.
Man sometimes I think you go out of your way just to be an ******. I think people should search for your name in the forumn search and downvote every single one of your posts because you are SUCH A ******.

PlayGooYa

01-10-2012

To the OP:
Learn other roles bit-by-bit by buying the cheap 450 point heroes or the 1350 ones. For example, Ashe is a great way to learn ranged AD.

That said, people who main tanks are a rare breed and I heartily endorse you being a tanker going into the future.

FaerellG

01-10-2012

On a conceptual level, I sort of agree with Carados. Tanking doesn't really exist in LoL. Initiation does. If you built tanky and are actually tanking the harass and focus fire from the opposing team, then the opposing team is bad and should feel bad. Any intelligent team is going to ignore the tank and murder the carry...or whatever target has the highest Threat to Defense ratio.

A LoL tank's job is Initiation and Disruption. It's fundamentally different than the traditional definition of "Tank" that is passed down from MMO game play because "threat" can't be managed, and other players can over-ride "aggro" aside from the taunt mechanic. Against, live players, there is no guaranteed (and in fact against good players there is virtually nonen) "tanking" that occurs.

However, I think Carados missed something: Minion and Tower aggro. You can tank that because the have definitive aggro mechanics that aren't subject to player whimsy.

That being said, there actually doesn't need to exist a "tank" in a team composition for it to be optimal. Fighting under opponents' turrets is a pretty dumb idea anyways. All you really need is sufficient disruption and initiation capabilities. Good initiation means that you'll kill most of an enemy team before they have a chance to initiate and the residual can be mopped up. So Carados really is quite right in that what you need is initiation...not tanking. So the LoL "tank" is actually a misnomer. It really should be renamed "initiator" or "disrupter"

This comes from someone who effectively "main tanks".
If you go into this game playing a tank thinking that "All I have to do is establish aggro and tank all the damage while my support shields/heals me and my DPS does it's thing" then you're going to be in for a very frustrating game as you struggle to wonder why things aren't hitting you and your teammates are dying.

You should go in with the mentality of "I'm going to use my skills and abilities and positioning to shield my team from damage. I don't want to take damage either, but better me than the damage dealers because I can take more of it."

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
On a conceptual level, I sort of agree with Carados. Tanking doesn't really exist in LoL. Initiation does. If you built tanky and are actually tanking the harass and focus fire from the opposing team, then the opposing team is bad and should feel bad. Any intelligent team is going to ignore the tank and murder the carry...or whatever target has the highest Threat to Defense ratio.

A LoL tank's job is Initiation and Disruption. It's fundamentally different than the traditional definition of "Tank" that is passed down from MMO game play because "threat" can't be managed, and other players can over-ride "aggro" aside from the taunt mechanic. Against, live players, there is no guaranteed (and in fact against good players there is virtually nonen) "tanking" that occurs.

However, I think Carados missed something: Minion and Tower aggro. You can tank that because the have definitive aggro mechanics that aren't subject to player whimsy.

That being said, there actually doesn't need to exist a "tank" in a team composition for it to be optimal. Fighting under opponents' turrets is a pretty dumb idea anyways. All you really need is sufficient disruption and initiation capabilities. Good initiation means that you'll kill most of an enemy team before they have a chance to initiate and the residual can be mopped up. So Carados really is quite right in that what you need is initiation...not tanking. So the LoL "tank" is actually a misnomer. It really should be renamed "initiator" or "disrupter"

This comes from someone who effectively "main tanks".
If you go into this game playing a tank thinking that "All I have to do is establish aggro and tank all the damage while my support shields/heals me and my DPS does it's thing" then you're going to be in for a very frustrating game as you struggle to wonder why things aren't hitting you and your teammates are dying.

You should go in with the mentality of "I'm going to use my skills and abilities and positioning to shield my team from damage. I don't want to take damage either, but better me than the damage dealers because I can take more of it."
Ok dokie. But if the enemy has 3+ CCs and is good at juggling aggro then the only thing that will make your team win is the same amount of counter CC or a big giant meatshield with crazy anti-damage who sticks out just enough to get targeted while protecting their own harrassers. I think people just want to micro manage the term usage and pretend to be smart.

EV4L

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Yes,because in your world, those are the only kinds of lanes every run, and all champions who lane "as a role" in that lane share a large amount in common.

Here's my advice: There's no excuse for a level 30 to not know how to play every champion in the game at a basic level.
some things here I gota say. I'm beta bro, have been lvl 30 for ages, and have over 1.1k games about to break 1.2k. I do not know how to play every champ. Some ppl are good at certain rolls.
Heres an example:
i can play any caster
any tank or any range ad carry
but when it comes to tanky dps like garren and udyr... i flat out fail.

Also read everything u have contributed to this thread. Your input is nothing more then trollish. People like you are what cause elo hell. Heres this guy trying to learn and your bashing him. Call it a tank an initiator w/e u want. But be constructive.

@Knuckles Jarvis
Try jungling or a roll thats similar to tanking. Maybe an off tank like garren ( if you enjoy more ad based tanks) or ryze (if you enjoy ap based) from they're you can go to carrys either caster or ad. Junglings also a good start. However today's meta mostly blames the junglers for they're failures. So be ready to hear " You never gank" yet they push the creep wave under the enemy tower or blame you for being at the other side of the map and not being able to save a tower.

FaerellG

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpoor View Post
Ok dokie. But if the enemy has 3+ CCs and is good at juggling aggro then the only thing that will make your team win is the same amount of counter CC or a big giant meatshield with crazy anti-damage who sticks out just enough to get targeted while protecting their own harrassers. I think people just want to micro manage the term usage and pretend to be smart.
Again, if your opponents blow their CC on the tank, then they are bad and should feel bad. No intelligent team is going to chain-cc an opposing team's tank while other, more viable targets are around...because they'll get murdered by the un-CCed carries.

If there's some super secret technique (beyond basic baiting) to getting opponents to focus the beefiest person on the team, I'm all ears.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps tossing a Silence on their Initiator so they can't disrupt or initiate on your team...and thus buy time for your initiator to position better.

As for juggling aggro...that's entirely dependent on your team being bad for switching targets too much or whatever have you. Or perhaps your team's inability to hold your victims in place with CC...hence why I said you need "Initiation and disruption" rather than tanky. Don't get me wrong. Having a good tank who knows how to body-block or otherwise bait the enemy team into attacking them is great. And having a tank allows your team to tower-dive safely, but for straight up teamfights, what you need is initiation and disruption...not tank.

Prometius

01-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftC3 View Post
I still haven't played every champ, been playing since at least june of last year. Some champs I just don't care to play while i try to master each one I do play.
you may not own them but if you picked any of them i doubt seriously you would just be lost, just seeing them in game and know their kit by lvl 30 you should be able to not feed with almost anyone imo