Leona on Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sapphidia

01-08-2012

I'm a pretty experienced Leona player on Summoners - I tend to consider her my "main", or at least my favorite as Janna/Sona usually fit better. But I feel I understand her strengths and weaknesses, her aggressive laning burst playstyle and teamfight initiations, her basic item build and such.

I'm just totally lost with her on Dominion though.

I'd originally assumed she was just one of those characters that doesnt work well on dominion, as she's poor at 1v1s which happen far more frequently in Dom than SR, but after (admittedly not many) Leona games I heard people saying that she was a "beast" on dominion and super strong.

I've had mediocre success as a tower defender, and am okay in the first top windmill fight, but feel her lacking outside of that. How do people mastery/rune/item build her on Dominion, and what kind of playstyle makes her most effective?

hamai

01-08-2012

I'm looking for this answer for Cho'Gath.

Everytime I play him in Dominion I want my money back.

Ardailec

01-08-2012

She isn't going to kill people on Dominion. She isn't going to defend Windmill by herself.

She is going to lock people down like a federal prison. You want Max CDR, Defenses and *Some* Offense. Your job is to make it easier for your allies to murder your enemies.

I can't speak up on Cho'gath, But I've seen him do very well and he seemed to build Tanky AP.

Ascleph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2012

She is ok, people saying she is a beast are just exagerating because they like her.

Glumduk

01-08-2012

Leona is queen of the teamfight. Her stuns and marks are what you should focus on for Leona - stick with a carry and you'll do very well 2v1 or 2v2. Max CDR to 40% with runes/talents/items, and build a Frozen Mallet + Atma's. If you get that far in your build, start building attack speed. The game is usually over by then though.

Basically, you want low cds to lock people down, and enough durability to survive for as many stuns as possible.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumduk View Post
Leona is queen of the teamfight. Her stuns and marks are what you should focus on for Leona - stick with a carry and you'll do very well 2v1 or 2v2. Max CDR to 40% with runes/talents/items, and build a Frozen Mallet + Atma's. If you get that far in your build, start building attack speed. The game is usually over by then though.

Basically, you want low cds to lock people down, and enough durability to survive for as many stuns as possible.
i agree with maxing CDR, but i prefer to build armor or magic resit (or both) instead of Frozen Mallet or Atma's - just what works for me. generally, my build is:

Boots of Tenacity
Frozen Heart (first vs. AD heavy)
Force of Nature (first vs. AP heavy)

then either a Shurelia's Reviere or a Sheen -> Trinity Force. generally, i start with a Kindelgem and go into a Reviere.

i've tried some AS builds and it works, just my preference is more defensive.

Leona is very good on Dominion, but she's team dependent, like on SR. if your team is decent and you can stay around them you'll do grand.

WaterD103

01-08-2012

As most tanks and supports in dominion, Leona can feel underwhelming with a complete lack of coordination. Leona is good to be part of what I call the striking team (the 3 man in the jungle that should play to control the jungle). Also she is good to protect people while your DPS do all your dirty work.

Leona has a very specific use (protect and assist your DPS) that need coordination (she want 3v3 or bigger fights). In soloQ that can be a recipe for disaster. Personally I wouldn't play lona unless I duo or triple q at least.

Sapphidia

01-08-2012

These comments have been super helpful. Ran a few domis after reading, even managed the #1 points on a couple.

I've found with a primarily Defense tree build, with 5% CDR (only need 2/3 in the cdr talent for this) then if you buy Ionian Boots + Cloth Armor with your initial 1375 gold, then upgrade the cloth armor into Frozen heart then you get fully cooldown capped with only two early items, enough mana to support it, and the 20% slow that neutralises so many popular melee bruisers there.

I find Sunfire Cape pretty essential as that + Sheen are really the only items that have any kind of positive effect on Leona's DPS, especially on clearing creep waves which is a really underrated thing i've noticed people ignore in disorganised soloqueue pugs, as a full wave push can really help a cap.

So Ionian Boots, Frozen Heart, Sunfire Cape, Force of Nature feels like all I need for tankiness, maybe an Abyssal Scepter if they're magic heavy (or my team is magic heavy), and a sheen into trinity perhaps if it's one of those weird long stalemates where everyone gets superfarmed. I find as a tank i dont really miss tenacity, partially due to the 10% from Defense, partially because if people are ccing me then that's kinda -good- for the team as I dont exactly explode in a stun.

I like randuins and shurelyas as my mid-late core on SR but somehow Im not sure about them here. They're awesome but I think I prefer the Ionians + Frozens as a way to get 40% CDR -faster- than mercs+shurelyas. It's mostly the -Use- effects on them rather than the stats that'd i'd like. Hard to know how to fit them into a build really - the way dominion games go, every time i've tried to go for a randu+shurely + merc build i've been unable to cap out my CDR for too long due to gold income (main reason they're so good on Summoners is both contain your core of Gp10 items which are pretty meh on dominion).

If only shurelyas had a tonne of magic resist, it would fit the niche of third item perfectly.

What Summoner Spells do people run? I've been experimenting with Ignite, exhaust, heal, garrison and ghost, and found Ignite + Heal or Ignite + Garrison to be my favorite so far.

Ascleph

01-08-2012

FoN is trash in dominion, remember HP regen is a terrible dominion stat, so you are paying more for less, get an Abyssal Scepter instead. Building full tank tends to be bad in dominion, you always want to get atleast some offensive stats after you cap CDR, which is your priority.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

01-08-2012

I've seen a lot of talk about how Leona is amazing, but after a couple of games with her I'm inclined to think Taric is a much more solid and consistent pick.