Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's discuss Sion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mr Collie Man

07-16-2010

I tried Sion when he was free a few weeks ago and saw myself liking him, but I was not satisfied with any of the item builds that I looked at. I am more interested in building him as AD but I've heard good things about AP, too. If somebody is willing to tell me how they do AP briefly I'll listen. I just see myself enjoying an AD build with him.

I'm not looking for you to write me a guide. I always switch up the items I choose on any champ based on who I'm facing, so I don't believe in following guides religiously. However, it's nice knowing where to start and seeing some people's input on this beastly zombie man would help.

omgacow

07-16-2010

Items:
Blue Crystal or Doran's Ring
Sheen
Boots
Soulstealer (if doing well, otherwise buy just a amplifying tome)
Lich bane
Void Staff
build whatevers neccesary after that

Skilling is Get one rank of enrage (you will farm an extra 150 or so hp, its pretty decent

then W>Q>R>E (get one rank of your ult at 6 for regen and staying power)

Even without AD your ult still gives incredible life steal

Pretty much on an AP sion Sheen/Lich Bane is a must.

Then more AP and magic pen.

Damnedman

Recruiter

07-16-2010

AP sion is better than AD imo. Generally I go mana crystal with flat mp and mp/5 runes first. This let's me stay in lane for quite a while with clarity (sion thirsts... for mana). Next is boots with either mejai or sheen. End game I usually have something like this: http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/S...221220b8a43c99 (http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/Sion/38d68a7f94d4f9fc18221220b8a43c99) Will of ancient and frozen heart may be replaced with survival items like banshee's veil or guardian angel, but lichbane and zhonya should be your core items.

Mr Collie Man

07-16-2010

What's the hype with AP Sion? He does big damage with exploding shield and sheen/lichbane proc? I've seen DPS Sion tear through some people but I've yet to see an AP Sion, so it's a little harder to convince myself to try it out. I can see the potential I guess.

Jdeezy

07-16-2010

Pretty sure his stun hits for a lot harder as well when going AP. Not just the shield.

Mr Collie Man

07-16-2010

True. I'll give it a shot and see what I think about it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I just realized his AP ratios are (+1) so I can totally see this build dominating. With his shield, if you absorb say, 75% of the damage it can absorb and then manually detonate it, does it still do full damage? Or does it do damage based on how much shield is left?

Krimblast

07-16-2010

Shield deals full damage always when it explodes. It doesnt matter if you detonate it manually. And damage received does not reduce the damage dealt. So its nice to take a hit or 2 (be careful not to lose the shield) and then explode it. With just 300 ap With lichs bane, the W Q hit combo deals around 1,4k dmg in 1 second I always use ap build... I just cant play AD :P

Indigoaqua

07-16-2010

AP sion works because both his stun and his shield have a 1:1 AP ratio and the stun has a low cd, and the shield is great for farming. you won't be getting as much out of the other 2 skills but the shield will make you beefy while the stun will get your teams kills

Shiram

07-16-2010

I've got about 170 games with Sion mostly on Summoner's Rift (115 or so wins pre-season one). I've played him as a Physical Carry and as an AP Caster and I think they're both viable - although there are characters that do both of these things better. I find Physical Sion works better in group fights and can push better after Aces or after a gank in the lane phase but AP Sion can melt people (which is funny) if you get your AP going. If I feel like playing Sion and my team has 2 Physical carries... I'll go AP and if the team has 2 AP mages... I'll go Physical.

As a Physical Carry I concentrate on crit and then damage - although if you have a good start you can rush Infinity Edge first for both.

Masteries I go back and forth between 21/8/1 and 0/21/9. I find the offensive mastery for the +crit damage works best - but defensive mastery is nice when you think you will have to initiate. Runes I like armor pen marks and either armo pen quints or flat health. For seals either health/level or dodge and glyphs CDR.

I start boots + 3 health pots and I usually take Enrage first since the extra damage at level 1 is punishing if someone walks through the bush and the boots make sure you can chase them down.

Then I usually go:
Zeal (honestly I think I've only had one game go long enough to upgrade to Dancer)
Executioner
B.F. --> I.E (rarely have the cash to build much else after this)
Phage ---> Frozen Hammer (after Bloodthirster)
B.F. ---> Bloodthirster (more likely Red Elixir and Green Elixir - since if you are getting fed as AD Sion... you are pushing towers hard... and game won't last long)

Sometimes I go an entire game with boots 1 because Zeal + boots one is usually fast enough with ghost when you need it.

Skills:
Enrage first when its avail
Ult when it is avail
Level 1 of cryptic gaze at level 2 - then ignore for awhile - stun does not scale with level and Shield both does more damage and absorbs damage
Shield after Enrage/Ult

Masteries I either go 9/21/0 or 9/0/21. Runes ... Magic Pen Marks / Quints (or flat health quints) - and either AP/level seals/glyphs OR mana regen / lvl seals and flat CDR glyphs.

As AP I actually start the game almost the same as AD. I usually start with boots + 3 health pots and Enrage. From there I put one point in stun and then max shield. Alternate shield / stun from there and put one point in your ultimate around lvl 9 (maybe 6 if you happen to be low health). The ult doesn't help AP Sion a lot BUT it makes farming blue buff easier AND can save you if you get jumped or get that last hit in a gank. But you only need 1 point in your ult - level Enrage after Stun/Shield are max and ult last.

One of the KEYS with AP Sion is... don't waste your mana. Think of all your spells like they are Tibbers and you are Annie. You wan to jump out of a bush and kill someone instantly... not jump out of a bush and do half damage and watch them walk away. So... I play fairly passively at the start of lane phase and wait for my opponent to jump at me or make a mistake. With my starting items the opponent has no idea if I am AP or AD - especially since I put a point in enrage and I have a glowing Axe. Farm minions for health/gold and wait. Don't cast your shield at all and don't stun unless you are saving your ally or you can get a kill. I find if you play REALLY passively and just last hit minions people get greedy and come for you then you can own em.

For items after the start I go:
Mejai's (if you can't keep the stacks - don't play AP)
Rod of Ages (he's a manage hog)
Zhonya's
Guinsoo (often I'll get this instead of Rylai's - so I can push towers after ganks - Guinsoo + ult = dead tower)
Blue Elixirs...

Shadowsaint

07-16-2010

I play crit ad sion and it works pretty well.