A real message to lore fans

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GGat20 Sportacus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2012

Lore is gone due to it having no financial gain for Riots Chinese owners.

Staff cuts have been made despite the company making more money than previous years.

Lore might return when there is an ability to capitalize on it financially, such as paper back novels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pitiful seeing lame excuses made on why lore has been cut down on.

The judgments were fine, because every champion has to be accepted/judged to join the league, hearing the story of when they were accepted into the league has always been interesting.

Yes it is limited to only explaining what happen when they were judged.. but how is that a problem? Every champion must go through that process, so no way should it be removed. It is just apart of the story.

The journal of justice is limited that it is like a newspaper... but whats wrong with that? It IS a mock newspaper...

The point is, yes these things are slightly limited in how they tell storys.. but they are very enjoyable, and can be used with other storys to help create a bigger picture.

When a company grows, and Riot is doing much better now financially than before, it is pathetic to see them REMOVE features, rather than build upon them.

So cut the bull**** about how the JoJ and judgments were "limiting", and just tell the truth.

New owners care alot less about lore, and the fans that loved the fantasy of Runeterra, and care more about maximizing profits.

Fenix12345

01-07-2012

This is really just another one of those extremely common threads about anything that someone doesn't like. Of course they're lying, it's impossible that they're telling the truth. Because every single international company has to fit the completely steriotypical picture of greedy corporate ass holes don't they?

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix12345 View Post
This is really just another one of those extremely common threads about anything that someone doesn't like. Of course they're lying, it's impossible that they're telling the truth. Because every single international company has to fit the completely steriotypical picture of greedy corporate ass holes don't they?
Well, Capcom do it, and it use to be my favorite company.

Dracorya

01-07-2012

Yet another person who is being shockingly rude about this whole thing.

Go find your other tinfoil hat co-conspirators and go away.

Vuther

01-07-2012

This is nothing more than a theory which depends on your outlook to the situation. You can agree or disagree - either has little actual proof. I choose to disagree.

Elleonora

Recruiter

01-08-2012

ITT: Baseless assumptions. Shame on you, OP.

Reidenki

01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportacus88 View Post
Lore is gone due to it having no financial gain for Riots Chinese owners.

Staff cuts have been made despite the company making more money than previous years.

Lore might return when there is an ability to capitalize on it financially, such as paper back novels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's pitiful seeing lame excuses made on why lore has been cut down on.

The judgments were fine, because every champion has to be accepted/judged to join the league, hearing the story of when they were accepted into the league has always been interesting.

Yes it is limited to only explaining what happen when they were judged.. but how is that a problem? Every champion must go through that process, so no way should it be removed. It is just apart of the story.

The journal of justice is limited that it is like a newspaper... but whats wrong with that? It IS a mock newspaper...

The point is, yes these things are slightly limited in how they tell storys.. but they are very enjoyable, and can be used with other storys to help create a bigger picture.

When a company grows, and Riot is doing much better now financially than before, it is pathetic to see them REMOVE features, rather than build upon them.

So cut the bull**** about how the JoJ and judgments were "limiting", and just tell the truth.

New owners care alot less about lore, and the fans that loved the fantasy of Runeterra, and care more about maximizing profits.
You don't seem to have a very clear understanding of higher level business practices or how long term game design works for that matter. The "Chinese owners" you are referring to a firm named Tencent Holdings who simply has a majority stake in Riot as a company. This is very different from "owning" a company. Majority and minority stakes are terms used to describe investment numbers. Having a majority stake does not mean you are the sole owner of a company, it means you have the most money invested. In cases of stock holders and directors boards, the person with majority stake might have more weight to swing around in decisions that affect business. But despite what movies and television would have you believe, does not mean that that person's word is law.

Owning 51% of a company, minimum requirement for ownership stake and for all we know the amount this firm actually owns, does not make you the god of that company. Decisions must be made with at least a 75% consensus with every stake holder, not just one guy or firm. Furthermore, the terms of the agreement which Riot has with Tencent Holdings states that Riot maintains independent operations free from foreign interference, as well as their original management team.

Tencent Holdings itself is a publicly owned holding company. By itself it doesn't do anything. As with all holding companies, its entire purpose is to buy the outstanding stock of other companies. Through doing this, it provides a a massive risk reduction for the held stock and allows for easier ownership of subsidiary companies and lower risk expansion. Holding companies do not control how subsidiaries are run as opposed to parent companies, who control management through the influence and election of a company's board of directors. For example, News Corp is the parent company of Fox News and thus has a direct influence on the company's day-to-day operations. Sears Holdings Corporation is a non-involved holding company who owns stake in the Kmart and Sears branches, as well as The Great Indoors and A&E Factory services.

In regards to game design, what Riot is doing is something that happens in design companies every day. You were doing something one way but it hasn't really been working as well as you want. Maybe it's been good enough for a while but multimillion dollar companies cannot afford to do "good enough" if you want to remain competitive. Thus decisions are made to cut what isn't working as well as intended and plans are made to replace and evolve on what was cut. This is how companies stay relevant. In my own design experience, we could go through eight different variations of the same thing, showing, then cutting, and repeating, before we settled on a final idea. With an active online game like LoL, this has to happen on the fly and attention must constantly be paid to how every part of the company is holding up. A product is only as good as its weakest part, because it is the weakest part that is always remembered most.

Furthermore, just because a company is expanding or netting a higher profit does not mean it can or will just throw money at anything. That is a good way to make serious errors that bankrupt people really fast.

As a writer I can tell you that I completely understand where Riot is coming from in regards to current lore limitations. The champion backgrounds give us basically a summary. The judgments, as fun as they are, frequently are either a brief window into one moment in the champ's past or sometimes they are just regurgitating whatever was in the in-game background story. Its a space issue and this is especially true of the Journal of Justice. Sometimes you get a great article that is progressing the story nicely and other times it is just filler. Whatever it is, the entire page has to be condensed in a little more than approximately two thousand words, and I may even be greatly overestimating that. If you think two thousand words is a lot, you haven't written anything longer than an average high school English essay. Riot obviously feels that it can do better and is making moves to do just that. However in order to move forward, the old unfortunately has to go.

I'm as sad as you are that League Judgments are the Journal are going away, but your ignorant, and frankly rude, rantings on subjects you don't have a real appreciation of do not help your case nor do they change what needs to be done. Like everything else, games have to evolve in order to compete. I've personally learned this the hard way. The best course of action is to educate yourself on the circumstances and look forward to what's ahead. If you don't like the results, that's fine. You don't have to. But making tinfoil hat assumptions of how a business who has no realistic or theoretical reason to deceive its customers just makes you look like a fringe lunatic and this forum has no place for people like that.

Dracorya

01-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidenki View Post
*snip*
D: Oh thank you so very much for being a voice of reason during these times. I am quite shocked at how rude people are being about this whole situation.

People who claim "Oh well I can write a story in 30 minutes!" irritate me. Yes you can write a story in 30 minutes. Will it be a good story?

Probably not and definitely not something you'd present professionally to a customer base.

Yes we're frustrated and sad too that it took them this long to tell us this, but at least they gave us a logically reason as to why they are doing what they are doing. Well at least its logical to me, apparently not so much to others.

SpicyJackTheBard

Recruiter

01-08-2012

Listen, bro. If I wanted to hear your bull****, I would beat it out of you. But since you're insistent on shooting off at the mouth, then I'll just say that you can take your negative attitude and go to Noxus where it will at least be appreciated.