[Guide] Artic Rebirth, Anivia the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valldor

10-10-2009

One of my favorite champions to play as, Anivia is by nature what players would consider a caster. In this guide I will discuss key tactics to using her effectively, and then talk about how I play her in most of my games.

Anivia's Stats:

HP: 350 (+65 per lvl)
Mana: 237 (+53 per lvl)
Move Speed: 290
Armor: 10.5 (+4 per lvl)
Magic Resist: 30
Crit Strike: 2.1 (+0.4 per lvl)
HP Regen: 0.88 (+0.07 per lvl)
Mana Regen: 0.9 (+0.12 per lvl)

Anivia's Abilities

Flash Frost {Q}

AP Coeff: 0.5
Mana Cost: 80/100/120/140/160
CD: 13

Damage: 60/90/120/150/180 *can hit twice*
Effects: First Hit - Slow enemy by 20% for 3 seconds and chills them
Second Hit - stun enemy for .75 seconds and chills them

This spell is easily the most important one to master when playing Anivia. When you cast it, it will go in a straight line in the direction you aim it, and if it reaches the end of its range or you hit the hotkey (Q) again, it will explode. If the ice ball passes through a unit, it will take the damage stated above and become slowed (and chilled). If a unit is hit by the explosion, it will also take the damage stated above, and be stunned (and chilled).

*Note that this effectively gives the skill a AP ratio of 1, since it can hit twice*

Crystallize {W}

Mana Cost: 70/90/110/130/150
CD: 25
Width: 400/500/600/700/800 units

This spell is one of the most interesting and annoying abilities in the game. With it you can save teammates, gank enemies, and set up team fights to your advantage. That being said, a poor wall can end up doing just the opposite. The range on it is also very high, so you can cast from a relatively safe distance.

Frostbite {E}

AP Coeff: .5
Mana Cost: 50/60/70/80/90
CD: 4.5 sec

Damage: 50/85/115/145/175 *double damage if the unit is chilled*

This spell is what makes Anivia pack a punch. Following up your (Q) or (R) with this will take out a large chunk of an enemy's health. Also note that Ashe, Nunu, and the items Phage & Frozen Mallet both have abilities that give units the 'chilled' effect, and this ability receives its double damage working off them as well.

*Note that the AP ratio is effectively 1, since it can do double damage*

Glacial Storm {R}

AP Coeff: .25
Mana Cost: 50/70/90 per sec
CD: 10

Damage: 80/120/160 per second
Effect: Slows movement and attack speed by 30% for 3 seconds and chilling them

Easily used to farm gold quickly and help push a lane, it is also one of the largest mana sinks imaginable. Because of this, you have to always remember to turn it off, or you will find yourself with no mana when you have to start running from that gank.

Rebirth

CD: 4 min

Probably one of the best passives in the game, it allows you to play a little more aggressive then most heroes early game. Tower diving you for first blood while this is up is no longer an option for anyone. It is also really good to have around in team battles since they will either have to focus you and let your team beat on them, or forget about you and let you rain down frigid and icy justice.

Ability Order

Now there are three unique lanning options for Anivia, all of which have merits:

Solo Mid: this option will net you a nice farm early and the ability to be up in levels on your enemy which lets you get some early kills in. Try and take solo mid as much as possible but be willing to give it up to someone like a Twisted Fate or a Carry you know can hold their own.

Dual Lane: The obvious other choice is going into a dual lane with a partner. I will discuss excellent lane combos later, so try and get a good lane partner for some kills.

Solo Top/Bottom: My favorite option though the most rare. This happens when your team has someone who jungle creeps. I like this because being against 2 players means i out level them, and they are going to be pushing me into my tower by sheer numbers. This allows me to score some kills if they get overly aggressive.

Now, in terms of skills I have two different builds, depending on what i am up against and what my lane situation is.

1 -- Flash Frost
2 -- Frostbite
3 -- Frostbite
4 -- Crystallize or Flash Frost
5 -- Frostbite
6 -- Glacial Storm
7 -- Frostbite
8 -- Crystallize or Flash Frost (pick whatever you did not get at 4)
9 -- Frostbite
10 -- Flash Frost
11 -- Glacial Storm
12 -- Flash Frost
13 -- Flash Frost
14 & 15 -- Crystallize
16 -- Glacial Storm
17 & 18 -- Crystallize

Now deciding whether to go flash frost or crystallize at 4, here is what makes me decide:

1. If you are solo, get flash frost since you will be leveling up faster anyway and getting to 8 for rank 1 crystallize will not take long
2. If you are in a lane against newer people who don't know how to avoid you and constantly get hit by your spells, go flash frost so you can farm them
3. If your lane partner has disables but not a lot of damage capability, go flash frost.
4. If your lane partner is melee and/or can do a lot of damage, or your opponents tend to avoid most your level 1 flash frosts, go Crystallize.

Items

Lets face it, a lot of people scroll down to this part anyway just to see what items are probably good.

First Items : Doran's Ring + 1 HP pot, or Saphire Crystal + 2 hp pots

Why?: The first Ring+Pot is to get a little HP so that you are not so fragile. That along with the mana regen and a little bit of AP help out early. Going the second route is good because it starts you right into your catalyst. However you will be a little more fragile.

Shopping List (Core):
1. Catalyst the Protector (all the staying power you need, HP and Mana)
2. Boots (or Mercury Treads if their team has a lot of slows and casters)
3. Mejai's Soulstealer (amazing AP, combined with the fact that your Anivia means you will probably get alot of stacks due to not dying)
4. Sorcerer's Shoes (upgraded from those boots)
5. Rod of Ages (upgraded from that catalyst)
6. Void Staff (what MR? no seriously..)

This core build will get you packing a nice punch with your spells as soon as possible, while giving you and your egg enough survivability to not just get focused and killed.

Shopping List (After):
1. Banshee Veil (nice MR, solid passive, more HP and Mana)
2. Guardian Angel (what is more annoying on Anivia then a second rebirth?)
3. Glacial Shroud --> Frozen Heart
4. Zhou's Ring (for when you really just hate the other team that much)

Notice that there are 4 items in the after list but only 2 slots left. This is because it is basically up to you to decide which two you really want based on enemy composition and play style. Me? I usually go with the first two and begin to be more defensive and a pain to kill off in the end game.

Summoner Runes/Spells/Masteries

Runes

There are only a few options to consider when picking runes for a caster. Honestly it just comes down to what you want, but here is what I use:

Red: MRP
Yellow: Whatever you want really
Blue: CDR
Quint: CDR or MRP

*You want to get enough CDR so that you have around 6%. 9 blue runes of static is going to sit you at 5.85%, for some that is close enough.
*You want to try and aim for 10 MRP if you can, as combined with Sorcerer's Shoes you will bring most everyone's base MR down to 0.
*Yellow is just that rune color that serves almost no purpose, just stick whatever you want in here. I went with MP5@18 to give me more lane power early game.

Spells

What I Choose : Teleport and Flash (or Ignite if you really want too....)

Good Spells on Anivia:
Flash -- Good for escaping, but also goo to set-up walls and ults. Fantastic to get right up in a carry's face and unleash your burst on them
Teleport -- My favorite summoner spell, it allows you to gank lanes that are aggressively chasing your allies, allows you to stop backdoors, allows you to quickly shop and return to a lane to push, and best of all it allows you to escape as an egg (for the bonus lol's)
Ignite -- The damage is decent, and the bonus 10 AP nice, not to mention the healing debuff

Spells You Might Consider For Team Games:
Rally/Heal/Clairvoyance -- Why not be a team player?

Spells Anivia Should Not Get:
Clarity -- this is for people who think they don't need blue runes. If you arent getting blue runes you are doing it wrong
Smite -- Usually should only be used on people who jungle
Fortify -- Has always been a pretty worthless ability
Revive -- Honestly just not worth it for anyone in my opinion
Exhaust -- most of your spells slow the enemy already, you should not need this
Cleanse -- Not entirely a fan of this ability, as most of the time if it a snare that has you you should be able to flash or ghost and then Crystallize your escape route

Masteries

What I Choose:

Offense: 9
3/3 Archmage's Savy
1/3 Deadliness
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

Utility: 21
1/1 Spatial Accuracy
3/3 Perseverence
4/4 Expanded Mind
2/2 Utility Mastery
3/3 Meditation
3/3 Quickness
1/1 Blink of an Eye
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of the Master

This is in now way the right way to mastery Anivia, as it comes down to playstyle. I do feel however that the 9 points in offense are a must, as archaic knowledge is a very valuable mastery against people who might try and stack MR against you.

Some Tactics and Tips

Blue Runes, Blue Runes, Blue Runes:

Get them. Really there is not much more to say. Your spells are expensive, your ult especially. You need these runes. The additional CDR is really nice as well.

Grass is your Friend:

Anivia is at her greatest threat when she is able to start right next to someone. For this reason, the tall grass is your friend. If an enemy hero is approaching you in the grass, throw down your ult and follow up with a frostbite. At that point they will probably be running scared, so you can easily aim a flash frost and stun them and hit em with another frostbite. If they are somehow not dead yet, you can easily finish em off with another ult/frostbite, while using crystallize as needed.
*Note that if for some reason they are not running after you jump them in the bushes, then you can expect they have a friend coming to help (or are just plain dumb), and you should either wall and run for the nearest tower, or attempt to go what i coin as "balls deep," leaving your ult on and hitting em with everything you got, attempting to kill them faster then their friend can get there, which is feasible with your damage output. If they die then you run as fast as you can (maybe you have flash up !)

Crystallize Wins Games:

Its true, crystallize is a spell that has some of the greatest potential to make or break a game. Learning when to crystallize is very important. Lets imagine an interesting scenario. Your teammate is at 70% hp and running from 3 enemy champions through the jungle, and you are running up to save him. Well you could easily crystallize behind him and you can both retreat to safety. However, wouldn't it be more devastating if instead you aim that crystallize between say two of their heroes, cutting off two of them while you and your teammate turn around and devastate the one guy unfortunate enough to be leading the pack? Again, Anivia comes down to being able to judge situations on your feet, do you take that guaranteed save or do you turn this would be gank into a counter gank?

Never Stop Moving:

If you fire a flash frost at someone, you should already be clicking to get closer to them, because lets face it, you are a slow bird. If you wait to see if it hits you might miss your opportunity to follow up with a frostbite. Of course do not do this blindly, if you are going to be charging in on this champion and a Blitzcrank is sitting off to the side waiting to grab you, then do not bother risking your life for 300 damage (unless of course you know it will kill him, in which case by all means go deep :-).

Map Awareness is the Key to Success:

Like many other players, I came here after playing DotA for a long time, and i cannot stress enough how important map awareness is. Being able to notice when that hero mid is no longer there can save you from becoming the victim of a gank. Always glance at that mini-map, if you cannot be sure of where all 5 of those red circles are, then you should always expect that one of them is in a bush waiting for you to get greedy. Also as a good teammate, let your teammates know if someone in your lane has not been around the lane for awhile, it very well could save their lives if they were not paying attention to the map

Rebirth is Some of the Best Bait:

The title basically says it all. You have a friend waiting in the bushes to gank the enemy in your lane. Start playing stupid yet aggressive. You do not want to scare him off, but you want to take damage so that he thinks he can take you. The best way to do this hit him with your basic ranged attacks. Enemy creeps will begin to attack you and weaken you. When you are at low health, try and rush him head on. He will either catch on and run, or try and fight you. Hopefully your friend will start coming in at this point. Your goal here is to time flash frost and stun him just in time for your friend to get in on the action, then follow up with a frostbite. Hopefully, you won't have to die if you can do enough burst, but otherwise you have rebirth as your ace in the hole, and your teammate will probably get a kill.

Gameplay

Early Game (Levels 1 - 7):

Harass, Harass, kill a creep for gold, and then Harass some more. As Anivia you have one of the longest range attacks in the game (600). You can easily take a pot shot at most heroes who try and attack a creep in your lane. Study their actions to see if they try and bait flash frosts. If so just wait it out, and once you can tell its not a juke but rather an attempt to last hit for gold, hit em with a Flash Frost, Frostbite, and attack. Your goal is to make the enemy champions in your lane hate you. If they start running right at you just run away and fire a flash frost over your shoulder and time the explosion, they will either have to move out of the way or eat it. If an enemy hero is sitting around the lane at low hp, let him get a little comfortable then suddenly flash in on him and combo him down for a kill.

Mid Game (8 - 14):

Try and farm and gank as much as you can, while also making sure you do not lose too much experience. Use your ult on a giant creep wave to make an easy few hundred gold and then fly to another lane to find a gank. At this stage in the game your frostbite is going give most champions living hell, as it will be maxed out and dealing a good bit of damage. Use those bushes to your advantage and get the jump on your enemy. If rebirth is up play more aggressively. Be bait for your teammates to score some kills.

Late Game (15 - 18):

Stick with your team as much as possible. Going out alone at this point will most likely cost you your life. With Crystallize you will probably save a few lives, and be able to set up team ganks easily. Again if rebirth is up and your team has your back, do not be afraid to get dirty and agressive, give them hell until you die. The key here is make sure your team can actually back you up, otherwise you will just suicide for no reason and lose this advantage.

Other Notes

Good Lane Partners

1. Anyone with a stun or snare is already a good lane partner for you, as you can easily line up a frost flash on their head and then frostbite. One of my personal favorites is Taric. He not only guarantees you a combo with his stun, but he can also allow you to play as aggressive as you want since he can heal you and also has some good burst of his own with shatter.

Bad Lane Partners

Honestly the list here is rather short, as not many characters are going to completely hinder you early game. Only Warwick and Yi have a complete lack of disables so they really cannot assist you on ganks

Good Heroes to Lane Against

Any melee hero is instantly going to cry for a new lane if you harass effectively. Some exemptions to this rule are the ones who can heal, like Taric (ya one of your best lane partners is also who you don't wanna see against you.) I well played Alistar can make you want to drop your head on your keyboard also.

Bad Heroes to Lane Against

Anyone with a silence is going to make you want to cry. Silence is probably one of Anivia's greatest weakness, and as such Fiddlesticks, Cho'gath, and Kassadin are going to give you a hard time. Also, as stated above, healers will ruin your harassment so Taric, Alistar, and Soraka are pretty annoying, and blinkers are really hard to kill so Katarina (only if they are good) and Kassadin (alas he shows up again). Morgana is also going to make you scream, as her spell shield is going to prevent a lot of early ganks, and her disables will leave you rather weak if you get hit by them. Lastly, Anivia is a pain to lane against...the irony is just too much :-).

**This about wraps up my guide, sorry it is a bit on the long side its my first attempt at one**
**Feel free to leave me any feedback you guys have or ask any questions you might have!**
**I felt like updating this to reflect the past few months**

Aurax

10-10-2009

Hi!

Excellent guide, thx, very well explained and detailed.

One item I like to use with Anivia is Guardian Angel. Combined with your passive, allows you to be very agressive in your group fights approaches, tank-like sometimes, and gives your enemies a good reason to cry: they can focus on you, to finally get you killed (3 times!) or can leave you alone, allowing you to spam the glacial fury and massive slows/stuns over them :-)

I even tried once to combine this strategy with the summoner spells revive/teleport, and it seemed as I was inmortal :-) Was a very limited way to play, but worthy for the laughs.

Cheers!

Circio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2009

Not a bad guide as a starting point for Anivia. You definitely covered many of the important aspects of Anivia, however I believe you also missed a few:

-Leveling Frostbite nearly exclusively, as you are in your Skill Order, is not necessarily the best idea. Looking at it from a damage/skill level perspective, after the first level, Frostbite gives you +10 damage per level (+20 if the enemy is chilled). Now we look at Flash Frost and we see that it gives us +20 per level. If we hit with both parts of Flash Frost, that's +40 damage per skill level, thus making each subsequent level of Flash Frost worth more damage than a level in Frostbite. However, due to the increase in mana cost per level in Flash Frost, I would recommend alternating skill points between the two skills.

-Meki Pendant is a much better choice for a first item. Yes, Anivia is slow and definitely needs to get a set of boots early. However, the boots are not nearly as helpful as having some mana regen to allow you to Flash Frost more, thus giving you greater harassing capabilities. Meki Pendant can be upgraded to Chalice of Harmony later on, alleviating a large portion of the mana issues that you said you have.

-Banshee's Veil is definitely a very strong item, however it is not a strong enough item that it should be grabbed every game. Banshee's Veil is a great item to pick up if they opposing team is caster heavy or has a fed caster that is giving you a hard time. However, if the team is melee heavy, the benefits Banshee's Veil provides compared to other items is vastly diminished.

-One hero that you missed in your Bad Heroes to Lane Against section is Morgana. Morgana's shield alone is able to give Anivia headaches throughout the match. In a solo lane against Morgana, 1 level placed inside the shield and Morgana can get in most of this last hits she wants while being immune to your Flash Frost harassing. In a lane with a partner, Morgana can also use this if you manage to get a Flash Frost off on her partner, preventing you from following up with a Frostbite combo.

Valldor

10-10-2009

@Aurax:

Thanks :-). I have indeed tried guardian angel before on Anivia and annoying is putting it lightly ! I think the other team just gave up on me completely

@Circio:

1. I think you looked at mana cost rather then dmg for frosbite, frosbit is +30 dmg per level so it is indeed better for mana efficiency and dmg

2. I do agree with starting item as a meki pendant or a regrowth pendant, as i sometimes go philosopher's stone first and then do my build order. However i find health regen to be a little more important then mana as if your are leveling frostbite the mana cost is not that much to handle.

3. You are right with banshee's veil, against a melee heavy team there are better options. Usually though there is goning be one person on their team with a targeted ability though that you would like to avoid. If it was a really melee heavy team i would probably get frozen heart faster.

4. You are absolutely right...i completely forgot about morgana and my friends can quote me constatly saying "f that shield, i hate it so much"

Thank you both for the feedback, i will edit my information after this game!

The Swedish Chef

10-10-2009

It's a decent guide, Valldor. Might I suggest the whole Frostbite vs Flash Frost issue to be a matter of playstyle? Frostbite is better if you wish to harass/gank more early game. Flash Frost however is Anivia's key skill for getting kills/money. By rank 3-4, depending on your rune page setup and other things, you can instant kill the mage creeps with one Flash Frost detonation. This does 2 things, it allows you to push hard on your laned enemy, as well as making sure you get plenty of money, which is key for Anivia early game. Most people prefer the Flash Frost simply for that fact, and the faster you get the money, the faster you get your great items.

Ambi

10-11-2009

Don't forget to note that Rylai's scepter makes all your frostbites deal double damage, regardless of them being chilled or not, something that may not help in ideal situations where theyre chilled from your other spells but we all know how fights don't always go as planned, being able to frostbite unhindered by the chill makes life so much easier.

Though I'm still not sure if it's still worth it, it doesn't contribute to your mana pool.
Also, as another option, if you can last hit champions well (re: KS), Mejai's Soulstealer's mana steal is a godsend. There really are too many items that go really well with Anivia : O

Flakes

10-11-2009

There's bad heroes to lane against, and then there's Kassadin, who is in his own category of "call for a lane swap asap." Blink makes your slows/wall useless, and that silence is just icing on the death-cake

Shikaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
There's bad heroes to lane against, and then there's Kassadin, who is in his own category of "call for a lane swap asap." Blink makes your slows/wall useless, and that silence is just icing on the death-cake
To make matters worse, Force Pulse procs twice everytime you use Flash Frost and detonate it. This actually makes Kassadin a decent laning partner since you build Force Pulse extremely quickly with your Flash Frost spam. Only takes 3 Flash Frost + detonate to build up 1 Force Pulse.

Also another thing to note is that it only takes level 2 Crystallize to block off most if not all of the paths in the jungle (assuming you aim perfectly).

Level 3 Crystallize does not offer anything signigicant in terms of complete path blockage and is really only there for human error.

Level 4 allows you to block the diagonal from the Inhibitor Tower to the fence of the base as well as a couple diagonals in the jungle. You can block off the three way path diagonally, effectively cutting off 2 of the paths instead of just one.

Level 5 Crystallize allows you to completely block the top base entrance of blue and the bottom base entrance of red. (Not sure if level 5 still applies anymore because I remember I was trying to do this in a game and there was randomly one unit of space I couldn't target on the ground to drop the wall where I needed to do a complete block. Riot might have simply changed it so a complete block is no longer possible for base entrancesc)

EternalOne

10-12-2009

I know you care about survival, but I think this would be a good beginners guide for Anivia. I prefer Rod of Ages of course, but I also have a differnt build completely that is Mana over AP. I grab the chalice of harmony and a lot of mana items because Anivia is such a mana hog. Then the Ap to boost her spells obviously. I did learn some things about her, that may make my build more efficient with your guild, but mostly it was regarding the Ap coefficients.

Anywho, I dont think the survivaility is necessary beyond Rod of Ages and/or Guardian Angel because you should be able to use her as a sort of supporting champion. A flank attacker if you will. Somebody to come into the combats half way, and mess people up. A well placed Storm followed by a crystalize can spell the end for an entire team. I would grab the boots of Mobility, because if you ARE in combat with opponents, you will be slowing them down, and if you're not... well mobility is important with the way Im suggesting you build her.