Riven build for Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Q Sensei

12-08-2011

I think I got Riven down pretty well for SR and TT.

I build Doran's and then start working toward BT and Mercs. If the game still goes on, then it's Brutalizer, then Angel's, then IE/Yoomu's.

What about Dominion? Any of the Dominion-only items good? The Bloodthirster replacement isn't necessarily good, since Riven isn't exactly an all-out auto-attacker.

What are your recommendations?

Annaed

12-08-2011

I've been looking into this whole sanguine thing because I've heard a lot of comments about it not really being beneficial for riven, however I play riven on dominion a lot and always build sanguine and do very well.

I feel like the lifesteal is pretty useful for her, especially with her passive so i looked into other items you can get. Which are bilgewater cutlass, starks fervor, and executioners calling. Bilgewater only gives you 35 AD and same amount of lifesteal (also has unique active), Starks gives you AS which is not really useful for Riven but 5 additional lifesteal, and executioner's only gives you crit but also gives 3% more lifesteal than sanguine without the stacks.

I start Riven off with a prospectors blade and boots, so she already has some lifesteal and because her abilities scale fabulously with AD I personally feel that sanguine is the best choice to fill that slot but i would encourage experimentation to see what works best for you.

I build brutalizer asap, then get vampiric sceptor to build into sanguine, i then build IE, and if i get to it I'll finish off youmuus or get another BF which can be built into entropy or Black Cleaver (for tankys).

Hope this helps

P.S. I use health quints, cdr glyphs, dodge seals (or amor), and armor pen marks.

IS1429332aa9b633

12-08-2011

I can see why Sanguine Blade is good on Riven, because you have to use your auto attack between each Broken Wings to maximize her passive. You WILL use auto attack and get some stacks...
It's also the cheapest item made of BF Sword which give the most AD.

Annaed

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl SGM View Post
I can see why Sanguine Blade is good on Riven, because you have to use your auto attack between each Broken Wings to maximize her passive. You WILL use auto attack and get some stacks...
It's also the cheapest item made of BF Sword which give the most AD.
^^ agree

Phourc

12-08-2011

Prospector's, boots, brutalizer, hexdrinker, BF sword, glacial shroud, build the BF sword into something (I like Entropy for the active and extra 10 AD, but sanguine is far from bad) is my standard build.

I wish there was a good armor/AD item (other than atmas which is not a good item for riven, you don't really stack health and the crit is useless), but the CDR from glacial allows you to cycle through spells faster, which is just as good, and can be upgraded for another 5 cdr and 50 armor.

Brutalizer as second item is pretty much a given for every AD caster, at least on dominion. It has AD, CDR and pen, and can be built extremely fast in pieces.

Sanguine vs Entropy? I'm sure you could do a whole topic on this, they're both good, I just like extra health because I build slightly tanky to get my shield to go further. Just don't build an IE or a Cleaver xP

Annaed

12-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Just don't build an IE or a Cleaver xP
lol why? those both give tons of AD. I build IE all the time. It gives more AD than any other item and the crit is very useful imo. And I only do cleaver if they have lots of armor but I don't do it very often because of the AS.

Phourc

12-08-2011

Hm... Let's play the comparing items game!

Note: this got long, but it satisfied my curiosity. Read only if you don't mind some ramble-y xP

I'll do gold per AD as a ballpark figure, because Riven really doesn't care about much else.

BF Sword: -1650g
- 45 AD (~37g per)

Black Cleaver: -2865g (BF + 1215g)
- 55 AD ( ~52g per)
- +30% Attack Speed (Useless)
- UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks reduce your target's Armor by 15 for 5 seconds (effect stacks up to 3 times).

Sanguine Blade: - 2900g (BF + 1250g)
- 60 AD (~48g per) 95 AD full stacks (~31g per!)
- 15% Life Steal (36 point heal on a 300 damage swing)
- UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks grant 5 Attack Damage and 1% Life Steal for 4 seconds (effect stacks up to 7 times).

Entropy: -3565g (BF + 1915g)
- 70 AD (~50g per)
- 275 Health (health is always good, 1 1/2 ruby crystals worth)
- UNIQUE Passive: Your basic attacks have a 25% chance to reduce your target's Movement Speed by 30% for 2.5 seconds. UNIQUE Active: For the next 5 seconds, your basic attacks reduce your target's Movement Speed by 30% and deal 80 true damage over 2.5 seconds (60 second cooldown).

Infinity Edge: 3830g (BF + 2180g)
- 80 AD (~47g per)
- 25% Critical Strike Chance (see below)
- UNIQUE Passive: Your critical strikes now deal 250% damage instead of 200%.

Hm.. So value by AD is IE, Sanguine Blade, Entropy, Cleaver.

Infinity Edge: Honestly I'm surprised this compares so well, but I honestly dislike crit on Riven. Keep in mind, one could just buy two B. F. Swords for the cost, AND have enough for a long sword left over.

So... is the crit worth it? [Warning: Math!]

Well, if Riven did nothing but autoattack, you could assume a 150% damage increase on 25% of autoattacks = 38% damage increase. Pretty slick.

But Riven is more about Burst and Mobility, and shouldn't be autoattacking past her QQQ, AAx3 combo, at most 5 autoattacks (W + E) if you weave like a boss.

So let's assume a 'standard' build of prospector's, brutalizer, Hexdrinker and then the IE @ level 18. (104 Base AD/178 Bonus/282 Total).

Broken Wings: 3 x (110 + .7 x 178) + Ki Burst: 210 + 178 + Autoattacks: 5 x 282 + Runic Blade (cannot crit): 5 x (15 + .5 x 178) = 703.8 + 388 + 1410 + 520 = 1752 damage.

If one autoattack crits, you'd do an extra 282 x 1.5 damage = 423. That gives us a little less than the first number... 24%.

If you get super lucky and two crit? 48% damage increase. Keep in mind you have about the same chance of getting no crits (0%). xP

And my final critique of IE? It's expensive! (Dominion rule of thumb: 10k gold to spend on non-boots.) At 3850, you could buy a sanguine + 2/3 of a glacial shroud (or two cloth shirts AND a null-magic mantle)...

Sanguine: If you can somehow, magically keep up 4 stacks, it's better gold/AD efficiency than a BF sword, and it has life steal to boot. The only real problem is you won't often get to autoattack a minion before your first EQW, which is when it'd be most beneficial - nor does life steal effect anything other than your autoattack + passive. Still, if you don't get instagibbed, an extra couple hundred health healed over the course of the fight kind of puts it on par with entropy.

Also: hella cheap. Not even 3k = awesome.

Entropy: Where to start? It's a DPS item with 700g of tank stat (health) on it. That's pretty weird. The active slow/damage is nice if you remember to use it (I know a few who don't >_>) and the passive slow is rng-y and ****.

Still, it's a lot more expensive than I was thinking, 665g over sanguine. Ouch.

Cleaver: Just no. Attackspeed is useless, the onhit is nice but if you need penetration beyond 21%/15 get a Last Whisper( with the aura you penetrate over half the enemy's armor - and it costs a good chunk less).

Annaed

12-09-2011

Thanks for doing this analysis it was interesting to see the AD costs comparison. I always thought sanguine was a good buy, however I've had people tell me otherwise (but still didn't believe them, especially after doing my own analysis of lifesteal items). I understand the argument for the IE but I've built it for many many games and really enjoy the added damage I get from it. I might try a last whisper now tho, never thought about getting that item (not sure why) but thanks for suggesting it.

Entropy for me is always a last pick ~maybe~ item... the active is nice and the health could be useful if I'm getting destroyed too quickly but I prefer building pure damage.

Daiko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

Why hasnt anyone brought up trinity? An early sheen is great on riven, proc between jumps.

Annaed

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiko View Post
Why hasnt anyone brought up trinity? An early sheen is great on riven, proc between jumps.
The passive is useful but the money is wasted on AP which doesn't scale with anything she has. Also the attack speed is pretty useless on Riven. AD scales much better on her.