Lets Talk Team Compositions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doom Lich

12-28-2011

So I've spents most of my League time playing dominion and I honestly can't say I have very much of an idea of what a good team composition is. I want to hear what you all think of team compositions. For now, I have a very small skeleton based on my experience.

THIS ISN'T A GUIDE! THIS IS MY CURRENT ASSUMPTIONS WHICH ARE PROBABLY ENTIRELY WRONG!

So far my list is:

A good bot champion: This is the only thing that is universally required. There are a few potential qualifiers for this role. Probably most important is the ability to push lane hard and to be able to duel well. This is usually the place where standard AP mid lanes shine.

Ideal champions: Karthus, Ryze, Heimerdinger, Sivir, Morgana, Graves, Malzahar, Xerath

A damage soaker up top. Ideally a mobile champion who is capable of covering bottom defensively if the situation required, and holding any point for a short while. Standard tank role.

Ideal champions: Rammus, Alistar, Garen, Singed, Blitzcrank

A high DPS ranged AD for top. Pretty much someone who can just melt the enemy team with damage.

Ideal champions: Vayne, Kog'Maw, Ezreal, Twitch, Sivir, Teemo, Graves

Finally, I find teams are traditionally rounded out by a mix of bruisers and assassins. This area seems to have the most variety, and the most bans seem to come from this group.

Ideal champions: Jax, Akali, Poppy, Xin Xiao, Talon, Evelynn

So what are your thoughts on team composition? I'd be happy if someone clarified all this for me.

ForgedLife

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2011

First of all, you misspelled heimer.

Anyways, Heimer's playstyle is just too easy to counter. And Karthus has fallen off after the zombie mode change.

Jax is too easy to kite to be considered strong with dodge removal. And there are better picks than akali (she is still viable)

Doom Lich

12-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedLife View Post
First of all, you misspelled heimer.

Anyways, Heimer's playstyle is just too easy to counter. And Karthus has fallen off after the zombie mode change.

Jax is too easy to kite to be considered strong with dodge removal. And there are better picks than akali (she is still viable)
Dodge isn't out yet. They began phasing it out, but dodge runes still exist(They refunded them, but you can rebuy them until dodge is officially gone).

Heimer's playstyle can be countered, but I still find the sheer pushing power he brings makes him one of the most powerful bot's around.

I wasn't aware Karthus took that much of a hit from the zombie mode nerf. Hm.

Dimwitt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2011

Why is this a talk about team comp with nothing but solo champions ?

If you want to see a dick teamcomp run Kennen, Riven, Alistar, Yorick, Kassadin in a non-draft game. It's almost a guaranteed win if your even semi-competent

ShawNuff

12-28-2011

One thing to think about in dominion is that you basically have a 4v4 top and a 1v1 bottom

So in a 4v4 teamfight you generally want someone combination of tanky people, someone bursty people and DPSers.

Bot you generally have a couple of things to think about.

1.) Not losing the point to enemy bot
a.) Wave clears
b.) Killing their bot
2.) Not losing the point if they gank you bot
a.) Escapeability
i.) tankyness
ii.) escape move
iii.) raw loldamage
b.) Zombiemode
3.) Globals

I would argue that Graves does not belong in bot lane. Yorick on the other hand is probably the strongest bot lane since against many opponents he can force them to duo bot or lose the point, and straight up counters a lot of popular champs (sup heimer).

Falanin

12-28-2011

I like to see a second champ top that can be built tanky. Three squishies and a Rammus (to take a way too common for comfort scenario) WILL lose top when Rammus wanders off to gank bot.

It's also nice to have a backup bot laner in case you need to 2-man push bot, or if the other team switches to someone bot who counter-picks your main bot laner.

Finally, I like to have a champ with some kind of map control. Whether it's mega speed Rammus ganks, Shaco's jitbs, Teemo shrooms, GP/TF ult... someone who can help make the enemy think twice about their ganks and back-caps.

JeryC

12-28-2011

haven't used kassasin much.
build him full ap, tanky ap or tanky dps?

Sealpup

12-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Lich View Post
So I've spents most of my League time playing dominion and I honestly can't say I have very much of an idea of what a good team composition is.
Hi there, I was thinking about this the other day too, it would seem a lot of players either don't know or don't care about team composition, but in Dominion, having a good composition for top is just as important to do well.

I am pleasantly surprised that you have come to similar conclusions as I have.

In Dominion a bare minimum for top 4 needs to have 1 persistent Ranged AD pick, without it, besides having a tough time in the very first fight, taking back top is very difficult.

Next important thing to have is a Tanky DPS, it's not absolutely necessary, but it greatly helps to team to have an initiator. Maokai, Jarvan, Volibear, Warwick, and Irelia are all great that you haven't listed.

After Ranged AD and Tanky DPS, the rest two spots is handy to have a Brawler, such as Talon, Wukong, Xin Zhao, etc., are great choices.

The last spot can be any of the above, or a Support. I have seen two Tanky DPS do very well going top, two Ranged AD of course do well, two Brawlers will do well, but two Supports rarely do well.

Unfortunately sometimes people will want to pick Ahri and Sona to go top, and force Singed to go bottom. It is an uphill battle to fight when two Support squishies go top. Can it work? Sure. It is challenging.

This is the reason why having picks such as Sona/Lux/Oriana top can sometimes be very helpful, but other times when they are picked without looking at the team comp, people despise having them in the team.

Taenaryn

12-29-2011

Skarner is BOSS on bot. He clears minion waves effectively, is pretty good at poking, and is awesome at duelling. I've played him several times on Free Week now and so far I only have problems when they bring in a second champion... and sometimes not even then.

However, I haven't played bot against too many of the other bot champs: Heim, Urgot, Yorick. Your mileage may vary.

InglouriousCobb

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taenaryn View Post
Skarner is BOSS on bot. He clears minion waves effectively, is pretty good at poking, and is awesome at duelling. I've played him several times on Free Week now and so far I only have problems when they bring in a second champion... and sometimes not even then.

However, I haven't played bot against too many of the other bot champs: Heim, Urgot, Yorick. Your mileage may vary.
Skarner is a great counter for Urgot and Yorick. Played competently he can wipe both of them up, and I know cause I play Urgot bottom. I have a friend who plays him and I will play Urgot that way we can switch out if the other is having problems.