*ELO system is for chess, not team games.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wafer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2012

Elo rating system was made for chess, why is it being used in a team game, where other 1 player can cause you to lose the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2012

I guess cuz there is nothing better. I mean, how else would you propose to do a ranking system?

In theory, all your losses due to scrubby allies will be offset by your WINS that you should have lost but 1 scrub on the enemy team ruined it for them.

Of course, ALL of my wins are an enviable consequence of my superior tactical abilities, and all my losses are due to scrubby teammates. ;-)

Wafer

01-06-2012

I propose a ranking system based around your stats as in CS, assists, kdr, etc etc. of course it would be different for the role you were playing. support champs with low cs would be rated on healing done, assists or the amount of succesfull disruption, as well as tanks would focus on disruption and damage taken, deaths would be less of a factor for them and assists, junglers would be rated on assists and kills more heavily then cs. Why is it rating simply based on whether or not you won, it's the worst idea they could have possibly come up with.

Carados

01-06-2012

So, can you explain how it doesn't work? Or is it just another one of these threads?

Wafer

01-06-2012

Sure, It doesn't work because it is a system based on 1v1, not 5v5, in chess, it is your skill, vs another, in league, it is your skill + 4 others, vs 5 others. In a game where 1 person still has the power to effect the outcome of the 5v5 game, you can't simply rate them on win:loss, it's not accurate enough. Too many games I've lost due to leavers, why isn't that a factor? there is many such things as mentioned above

Jeep3rs

01-06-2012

The OP shows his lack of intelligence by linking to the wiki article on Elo, and still thinking that it's an acronym ("ELO").

Wafer

01-06-2012

I didn't think it was an acronym. But I'll fix that for you...
*this just in, played a ranked game at 1350~ elo level, guy on my team said he had a smurf, I checked his smurf has 1700+ elo. How come the 1700 elo got out cs'd by the AD carry he was laning against who has only 1350~ elo. I would guess that it's because the elo system isn't very accurate, especially for support players.

Carados

01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafer View Post
Sure, It doesn't work because it is a system based on 1v1, not 5v5, in chess, it is your skill, vs another, in league, it is your skill + 4 others, vs 5 others. In a game where 1 person still has the power to effect the outcome of the 5v5 game, you can't simply rate them on win:loss, it's not accurate enough. Too many games I've lost due to leavers, why isn't that a factor? there is many such things as mentioned above
Can you actually explain how a system that makes a match based on your chance to win a game shouldn't use your actual wins and loses as the primary source of data?

IE: Can you actually explain how it doesn't work?

thepantsparty

01-06-2012

It's accurate over a large number of games. Over enough time, the skill of the random people you're grouped with vs the skill of the random people you're grouped against will even out, leaving your own skill as the primary determination of your rating.

Something Snazzy

01-06-2012

The thing is, I see so many good players at bad Elos because they refuse to help out team mates that have a bad game. Whoever you are playing with is at the same Elo as you for a reason. If they are feeding, it is most likely because they are just having a bad game, got countered, etc.

At low Elo, I see a lot of people not understand counter picking or building to counter a champ. So if they happen to pick Tryn and go top against a Teemo, they will feed. But at low Elo, their teammates end up *****ing at Tryn whenever he dies, rather than ganking a bunch, switching lanes or (nicely) offering advice on how to counter build against a Teemo.

You affect every person on your team. If someone does bad, it is up to you to help out, rather than *****. Watch a low Elo game, then watch a high Elo game. I guarantee that the low Elo game will have one team *****ing at each other while they lose (unless it is close). And I guarantee that they will not come back.

*edit* Also, just the fact that you come onto the forums to complain strongly suggests that you are a player who screams at feeders instead of helping them out.

*edit #2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafer View Post
I didn't think it was an acronym. But I'll fix that for you...
*this just in, played a ranked game at 1350~ elo level, guy on my team said he had a smurf, I checked his smurf has 1700+ elo. How come the 1700 elo got out cs'd by the AD carry he was laning against who has only 1350~ elo. I would guess that it's because the elo system isn't very accurate, especially for support players.
a) Anecdotal evidence at best. Not only is it anecdotal but it is ONE anecdote. lol
b) Smurf account immediately implies less runes, masteries, rune pages, champions, etc.
c) I play a smurf account to screw around. Most people do. They don't start smurf accounts to have 5 accounts at +1700 Elo. They have smurf accounts so that they can play ranked (i.e. have good team comps and teammates that try hard) while trying new things. Why take a new champ from unranked to 1700+ Elo ranked when you could try them out on a smurf account and play them ranked at 1350 Elo first?