How do I last longer in Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Höllgeist

01-03-2012

I'm losing my games in 5 to 6 minutes (yes you read correct) and we're talking full 5v5, no disconnects or trolls.

I've tried tanks, AD, AP, everything, but I can't seem to get it right. What type of champion is best for new dominion players? Keep in mind I am level 30, so I'm stuck facing high competition because of my level, but I'm not good at all. Also, can someone please suggest a generic build (ie lots of armor and attack damage, etc.)?

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Höllgeist View Post
I'm losing my games in 5 to 6 minutes (yes you read correct) and we're talking full 5v5, no disconnects or trolls.

I've tried tanks, AD, AP, everything, but I can't seem to get it right. What type of champion is best for new dominion players? Keep in mind I am level 30, so I'm stuck facing high competition because of my level, but I'm not good at all. Also, can someone please suggest a generic build (ie lots of armor and attack damage, etc.)?
5 or 6 minutes?

i have nearly 800 Dominion games and i don't think i've ever won or lost a game in under 7m without DC/AFKs.

what champions do you main in other modes? give us a baseline for your playstyle and likes so we can make good recommendations.

champs that are very good with a low / moderate skill cap:

Sivir, Miss Fortune, Sion (AD/AS only!), Brand, Rammus, Tryndamere.

champs that are very good with a higher skill cap:

Shaco, Yorick, Maokai, Heimerdinger.

just off the top of my head...

edit:

it's probably less about champion selection then it is about teamwork and strategy.

the point of Dominion is capture and hold - get 3 points and hold them. being overly aggressive is generally bad, as is being overly defensive. the key imo is to have consistent pressure. be careful in the jungle, especially if there's a Shaco (or the like) and fight under your turrets as much as possible.

Dominion is not Summoner's Rift, and while creeps are important, it's knowing how to farm and use them to push towers. stick with your team and try to engage in fights under an enemy turret only when you have an advantage. nothing wrong with waiting for your team in a nearby bush.

edit 2:

happy to play some games with you and help. look me up anytime.

gnmish

01-03-2012

Have you tried thinking about baseball? :P

But in all seriousness, as Inkyjinx said, as long as you aren't picking a terrible champ for the role you are playing its all about teamwork and coordination.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2012

also:

checked out your profile, you've had a rough go as of late.

when you're new to lv. 30, remember that EVERYONE you play against has more experience and full rune pages for bunches of champs. really, your first ton of games is about re-learning how to play at lv. 30 and farming IP for runes.

check out solomid.net or leaguecraft.com or the like for tips and guides, including builds. i prefer solomid.net.

Höllgeist

01-03-2012

In summoners rift I usually plays as Teemo or Ryze. When Ms. Fortune is free I'll play her and sometimes I pick random champions. As for play style, I really just build all damage items and try to stay behind other team members. I know that I can't play melee characters, that's just asking for me to get ganked. I usually rely on my abilities over basic attacks, even for Teemo I tend to just use mushrooms mainly.

Also, how do you view people's profiles and are runes really worth it? It doesn't seem that they add much stat-wise.

Inkyjinx

01-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Höllgeist View Post
Also, how do you view people's profiles and are runes really worth it? It doesn't seem that they add much stat-wise.
runes are required. it doesn't seem like a lot, but especially early game stats like +24 AP or the like matter a TON. they vary depending on your champ selection but they are critical for each and every champ.

what'd i'd recommend is first finding 2-3 champs that you enjoy playing. the 'common' roles are:

AD carry - ranged attack damage, like Ashe or Caitlyn.
AP carry - ranged mage, like Brand or Annie
Tank - like Leona or Maokai

tank is the most difficult role to get used to as a new player, imo. based on what you said, i'd play Miss Fortune, Ashe, Caitlyn, Graves or Sivir. Teemo is a great champ but is veryveryvery squishy and opposing teams tend to hate him (due to his mushrooms) and you get focused hard. also, knowing where to place mushrooms is something of an art form that comes with learning map awareness and paths. personally, i'd recommend making him one of the 2nd wave of champs you get good with because he's so heavily focused.

there's other roles, but that's a start. get REALLY good with a few champs that you enjoy and fit into a role. you should absolutely try different champions so you know how each play but focusing on a few to start will get you better faster.

to view a profile, just type their name in the little search bar. on your friends list, it's the person icon with a magnifying glass looking thing, bottom right of the screen.

finally, compare your 'regular' builds to those on solomid.net for the champs you play. generally, you want damage items (AP or AD depending on the character) but also at least one defensive items to counteract the majority of the enemy team and give yourself some chance to survive. and you need boots. so, for most damage oriented champs, you want 4 items that aid damage (generally: AD and/or AS for autoattack champs, AP for mages), boots and a defensive item.

Ryze is a weird one because his mana/ap/health are related - so items like Archangel's Staff are better than pure AP. i'm not a Ryze player but you don't build him like most mages - he's more a 'tanky mage'.

Teemo, for example, can be built a few different ways. you can build AP heavy or AS heavy and both can be effective. generally, hybrid (some of each AP/AS/AD) is best. my build involves a Malady, Wit's End, Black Cleaver, Nashor's Tooth and Zeal/Phantom Dancer in some combination depending on my team and the opponents.

and, to be safe: AD: Attack Damage, AP: Ability Power, AS: Attack Speed.

i sent you a friends invite; i'm off for the night but will be around most of tomorrow evening after 9:30pm cst.

Yaladilae

01-04-2012

you forgot solo bot in the role list, for dom

Iceneous

01-04-2012

wait till you start getting qued against the premade teams thats the best part of dominion

Tiranui

Recruiter

01-04-2012

:3 do your best. Defend your caps more. Hide in the jungle more.

Rumble Bot

01-04-2012

Tips on Dominion:

Know whether your champion is more suited to going top or bot before calling either.

Know what your allied champions can do. Your item build may vary from game to game depending on who is on your team, and who is on the enemy team. You must also take note of who you are vulnerable to and who you should focus first in a team fight, and in a 1v1, and whether you should back off or not.

Do not blindly chase low health opponents; the respawn counter is lower and you will more than likely run into their allies; capping points and luring them back is the way to do it.

Use certain tactics like false capping; intentionally backdooring with the purpose of not to actually capture the point, but to lure several members of the enemy team from a point your team members really want to capture, and then juke them whilst they're chasing you.

Take advantage of the enemy's desperation to capture a point at times and set an ambush in the brushes around the map, be fully aware that the enemy team can do this as well even though it looks like a capture point has been left unguarded.

Check where all of the enemy team is on the minimap, and use that to your advantage to see how they've used their resources and if you can backdoor or not.

Sometimes the easiest way to interrupt a neutral multi-man capture isn't to hit each of them individually, but to cap the point at the same time - You cancel out anyone trying to capture the point doing this.

Your enhanced recall timer is much faster than your death timer; sometimes it's smart to abandon a point and simply bail out to recall so you can regroup with your team to defend something you know you can defend.

DON'T stand still on a capture point when nobody's near. You're wasting your time when you could be setting up ambushes, collecting the storm shield, or farming minions to beef yourself up, or even recalling to get your health back and buy items.

BE decisive. If a teammate is off over there in a 1v2 and inevitably going to lose if left on their own, decide right there right then if your teammate is making with a good distraction and allowing you to capture an unguarded point, or if you know you can make it in time to take out both of them without your teammate dying. Worst thing you can do is start to cap, change your mind, and then arrive late to assist your teammate.

Bear in mind that survivability, unless you are the tank, is very secondary. You want to burst as hard and as fast as possible. For instance, whilst I might build sustainability through Rylais and a Heath Regen / Hextech Revolver on Summoners Rift first on Rumble. On Dominion I rush a Moonflair Spellblade as my first item and play as the slow and stoic steamroller. There is no reason for you to have to slow people as much in Dominion, as a lot of the time, when people get away you should let them get away. Other odd items are replacing my usual Sorcerer's Shoes / Mercury Treads with Ionian Boots of Lucidity, which sounds barmy, but when you realise how much utility Rumble's Ult constantly being on cooldown brings to the team, like multi-cap cancelling from a distance, surprising a small skirmish and turning it in your favor, bursting someone down on their control point from a safe distance, and in the rare case, ulting a large minion wave off your cap point to prevent it from being neutralised or captured by the enemy team.

For instance if you check my match history you'll notice my item build varying with each game. Apart from that one Co-op vs AI game ignore that, that is not for your eyes to see.

Contrary to Summoner's Rift, where Randuin's Omen is a far more useful item than Thornmail to your team. In Dominion, Thornmail is by far better than Randuin's Omen because most of the time only small skirmishes break out, and this is very useful when the enemy team is stacked with hypercarries.

There are a few other rules that are pretty topsy turvy when compared to Summoner's Rift but I'm sure you'll figure them out.