Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

1000% new and frustrated

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xerusian

07-15-2010

I have played roughly 8 games, winning 3, losing 3 and the other 2 I rage quited.I am a familer RTS player, infact its one of my favorite genre of game, however, I am a more of traditional RTS ( my favorite being StarCraft). During my first day of this game I find that very little people help "noobs" they all just ignore my questions, there has only been one match where my team acted like well a team. Also despite how hard I try I just can't see to understand how to play this game, yes I know I am the champion and I need to destroy the enemy HQ. But I do not know the differences between champion types, I get that there are "tanks" and "fighters" and etc etc but it seems no matter the type I play I just die. I have been going on the forums under " new player section" and reading multiple guides and multiple tip threads but can not for the life of figure this out, at the end of the match my champion is at his/her highest lvl10. I can play as Master Yi and mimic the enemies Master Yi with such accuracy I should be called taskmaster, yet for some reason I can barely ever get any kills. Is there some secret I am missing here? Im sorry for making a rage thread but this game has put to the point of raging, also I have no prior experience with DoTA.

R66Y

07-15-2010

Newbie island can be rough going. I'd suggest seeing if you can find some experienced player who are willing to play a few practice games with you. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play for another couple of weeks, but you can always add me as an option for when I am able to get back into the game. In the meantime, Eggtart Chow routinely helps new players, I would recommend looking him up. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=119419

As an aside, try not to rage quit. I know it can be trying early on, but dropping out of a game just ruins it for everyone there. If someone is raging on you bad, just type "/ignore playername" to mute them and report them to Riot at the game summary screen.

Good luck!

D3ad13

07-15-2010

- Ask as many questions as you can on the forums, and read through the posts on the forums.

- Once the practice queue comes back up, play practice games to learn champs.

- DO NOT RAGE QUIT. Leaving is bad and goes down on your "permanent record". Also, all you're doing is gimping your team while you could spend that time practicing and playing and earning much needed XP and IP.

- Many people are busy playing the game and unfortunately don't have time to help out during the game. It is very fast paced and frantic. If you do find a helpful player, send them a friend invite and pick their brain in the lobby/client screen.

- Check websites like www.leaguecraft.com (http://www.leaguecraft.com) for strategies and guides.

- Play ranged champs to start out. This isn't necessarily a "must", but it keeps you back from the fight a bit and at a slightly safer distance.

- Read through the champ descriptions. Riot has marked the "easier" champs as recommended.

xpsychedelico

07-15-2010

The different types of champions require a different playstyle. In general you want to avoid jumping head first into a team fight and unleashing everything you can while hoping you won't die.

Tanks are meant to be meat shields with good CC, initiating teamfights so that the enemy team focuses on them, while your team attacks the enemy while they are busy. Carries and casters in general play more defensively and stay behind the tank. Positioning is crucial to the role you are playing in your team.

There are times to be aggressive and times to be defensive. At its core, LoL is a team game, and one person cannot win the game for everyone. The website provides descriptions of the various champions and their type so you can understand the role they fulfill. If you build a champion in a manner that does not synchronize with their abilities, then you are not using it to its full potential.

To get a better idea of how the game is played, you should look for beginner guides on youtube or watch some livestreams (you can find these under General Discussion) to see how games are played well.

Essentially there are three stages in the game: early, mid and late. Early game is when you go to lanes and last hit minions to farm for gold to buy items. Mid game is when people stop laning and start ganking and/or pushing. This often happens when mid lane hits level 6 or so, when they get their ultimates and use their level advantage to gank a side lane. Late game is when majority or all of the players have hit the level 18 cap and are still fighting it out.

During early game, you want to try and get champion and tower kills, while farming effectively at the same time. The better you farm during early game, the better advantage you have during mid game. If you are having trouble, play defensively and try to keep your tower alive while making sure you do not lose out in EXP. Some gold loss is reasonable if you are forced to "tower hug," but you want to try and keep your tower up as long as possible while trying to take down the enemy's tower.

By mid game, it's not unusual to have at least a tower down. The earlier you knock down a tower in your lane, the earlier you can move to support your teammates in other lanes to knock down more towers. While kills are important, you also have to remember that knocking down buildings wins games.

Late game is often when one or both sides has lost a number of inhibitors, and things are getting pretty intense, trying to find a good decision between defending and attacking. By this time, most would be some what close to finishing their item build.

There is a lot more to cover about the details about the game, and I can understand your frustration as I felt the same way when I first learned how to play DotA about a year ago. I was lucky to have friends who were willing to spend hours running me through the basics of the game until I fully understood it. I know there are good players who may be willing to coach you, as mentioned in previous posts, and you should take up the offer.

Once practice games are out again, it will help give you a better idea of how to play. As some have mentioned, it is hard to help and play effectively at the same time during a game as things are constantly happening. The game has a somewhat steep learning curve to understanding the basics, but once you get it, things should go a lot smoother.

xerusian

07-15-2010

Thank you for the help and websites