[A Question] To all the Veigars..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neoteric

01-27-2010

About 200 games ago, I used Veigar quite a lot. Back then I used a build revolving around RoA. It worked some of the time, but most of the time I found myself being unable to do what veigar is designed to do...scare the ever-loving **** out of my opponents and nuke them into the dust. I lost a lot of games.

Now 450 games in, the way I play Veigar is very similar to what Mordraer uses. I have actually been all over Fiddlesticks these past couple weeks but primarily Veigar has been my main. my item build is:

Tear
Sorc Boots
Mejais
Archangel
Zhonyas
start buying elixer to increase my AP
Abyssals if the game is still going.

My runes consist of 14 m.pen and then all AP.
With all of this I have capped out at around 1020ish Ap with Baron on a couple occassions, but usually I end up around 880.

The Archangels is worth it, the extra AP it gives is fantastic and when you get Zhonyas it helps even more. The Rod while providing SLIGHT bonuses to health will end up meaningless. If you put yourself in a position as Veigar where you get attacked by one person, they die. Two, they probably die. Three or more usually equals death if you can't scare them away...regardless of the bonus Hp. But if you get into that situation as Veigar, you did it wrong, or got really unlucky. As for laning I rely on Teleport when I am low health, and it usually suffices; providing the occasional gank as well. Flash is a must have for me, I couldn't live without it.

And Mejais I believe is an absolute must; most people would think that it's too risky, because losing those stacks is very dangerous the higher you get up there. The opposite is true, if you can get to 15+ stacks (which you should if you are playing correctly) they are so pants-****tingly frightened of Veigar they wouldn't go within 5 miles of him or even THINK of trying to kill him. And if they do, point and laugh while they die.

Kyle700

01-27-2010

Well, I normally go:
Doran's Ring
Catalyst ( At least HP crystel)
Sorc. Shoes.
Mejai's and a Blasting Wand
Rod of Ages
Lichbane
(If a lot of magic resist, go Void Staff. If not, Arch staff)
Zhonya's

Most people don't use lichbane I've noticed. Why not? You get soooooooooooooooooo much dps from it, it's absolutely AMAZING. With 700 ap and a lichbane, without using any other spells besides Q, you can do like 1300 dmg. Add in Dark Matter, and you've got 1400 extra dmg. Add in your ult, and that's anywhere from 1400ish to over 2k.

Neoteric

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle700 View Post
Well, I normally go:
Doran's Ring
Catalyst ( At least HP crystel)
Sorc. Shoes.
Mejai's and a Blasting Wand
Rod of Ages
Lichbane
(If a lot of magic resist, go Void Staff. If not, Arch staff)
Zhonya's

Most people don't use lichbane I've noticed. Why not? You get soooooooooooooooooo much dps from it, it's absolutely AMAZING. With 700 ap and a lichbane, without using any other spells besides Q, you can do like 1300 dmg. Add in Dark Matter, and you've got 1400 extra dmg. Add in your ult, and that's anywhere from 1400ish to over 2k.
For me, the answer is simply that I find it unnecessary. Between my hold and my nuke there's no time to get in an auto attack or they have time to get out...so the only feasible time for me to use it would be randomly between Q spam. Also when only having sheen temporarily on the way to getting lich, the damage from the auto attacks would be neglegible. Veigar is all about the "OMGWTF" burst for me than the sustained dps. There are better heroes for lichbane, imo.

EDIT: I also would have a harder time properly landing my kill hits, as the auto-attack travels so slowly and would mess with my rotation; these are vital to getting mejais stacks.

forcedentry

01-27-2010

I've been playing Veigar for the past 40+ games /w a few friends in low ELO. I've been using Roku's guide and have been moderatley to greatly successful. In his guide he lists different builds and I will give me personal oberservations on them based on the way I play Veigar in my bracket.

Tried and True

Crystal -> Tear of the Goddess (580)
Boots of Speed (350)
Catalyst the Protector (1325) **Buy the Ruby Crystal as soon as you can afford it after shoes**
Catalyst -> Rod of Ages (1730)
Boots -> Sorcerer's shoes (750)
Zhonya's Ring (3735)
Tear -> Archangel's Staff (1930)

This was the first build of Roku's I tried and I had moderate success with it. The only issue I had, is that the AP felt like it was coming too late. You buy your first Blasting wand after buying Tear, boots, and Catalyst. While this build helps survivablity and fixes mana issues it made me feel a little weak AP wise during mid game.

High Risk vs High Reward

Crystal -> Catalyst the Protector (925)
Boots of Speed (350)
Mejai's Soulstealer (1435)
Sorcerer's Shoes(750) / Rod of Ages
Rod of Ages(1730) / Sorcerer's Shoes
Void Staff (2320) (I usually don't build the Void staff in his build but go striaght to Ring after RoA.)
Zhonya's Ring (3695)

This is the second build of Roku's that I used and have been greatly successful with it. Many people like tear because it fixes Veigar's mana problems but i never have mana problems early. The reason for this is that I don't spam my spells. I use baleful for last hits but you shouldn't just rely on it. Use your physical attack to LAST HIT don't auto attack. I don't usually put a point into dark matter until lvl7. That means you shouldn't be soloing mid against a Sivir requiring you to lvl up DM just to keep your tower from being pushed. It also means you shouldn't be laning with hero who will be competing with you for last hits. Spell management with a combination of teleport should be all you need for mana. You should be timing your spell usage with the cooldown of teleport.

As for the debate with about RoA being needed you both make great points. However I believe you need a bit of everything to be truly successful. Good map awareness, HP items, staying out of sight before initiation, and a understanding of what heros they are using and who you are vulnerable to. In the end somtimes you will just get out played, all you can do is adjust and fix your mistakes.

As for the OP question. I run ap/18 glyphs hp/18 seals magic pen marks and movement quints. I usually have trouble with any hero which can close the distance gap quickly or jump over the event horizon line. I know alot of people like exhaust but I run flash for extra survivablity. Also the movespeed quints and HP help alot as well.