Ultimate Item Efficiency Guide (by math)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NunChuckasaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2011

There are a lot of attempts to break down Item abilities into their gold cost and subsequent 'efficiency" but none are quite comprehensive enough. I took what data was out there and added my own calculations. You can see the spreadsheet below:

[url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amp6HGZTVMyfdFhjRFc4NkJjMTFxeXhtOTZXSWZ2R UE&hl=en_US#gid=0[url]

Sheet is sorted by overall item cost.

Here is a breakdown of "basic" ability modifiers and their worth in gold. I obtained these by using the simplest possible items with these stats. In cases where the item isn't that simple I used a RATIO based upon quintessences and/or primary runes to compare the value of that stat on a rune to other runes. Here are the values below:

Row Labels Cost per Point
ap - 20.7
arm - 15.9
arp - 25.9
atk - 26.7
CDR - 41.9
crit - 47.3
dmg - 38.0
hp - 2.6
hp5 - 29.8
lifesteal - 37.5
move - 11.1
MP - 45.6
mp5 - 57.0
MR - 15.8
mana - 2.0
% move - 57.4
spellvamp - 18.7
Critdmg - 18.5
Dodge - 41.1

(If you would like to see how these were calculated you can post here and I will give more detail.)

MY thoughts about these numbers:
1) HP and MP regen value decrease HUGELY late game. SO many items look more efficient because they really just give you tons of MP regen. But for items that cost 3K or more that won't mean much at that stage of the game.
2) Most high cost items have some piece that is hard to gauge (a unique trait) this limits the usefullness of this sheet for those items.

INTERESTING FINDINGS:
Ninja Tabi - this is the absolute best item you can get against a heavy AD team. Especially autoattackers. The dodge is just huge. You get almost DOUBLE your value

Eleisa's Miracle - My new fave tenacity item. Rush philo, build up gold, get tenacity when you need to. This item is cheap and I love getting it instead of merc treads so I can get Ninja Tabi for all the physical resist.

Nashor's Tooth - great item by efficiency numbers, but no one uses it. If it fits your character well it's very cheap for all it gives you.

Shurelia's - OP OP. It's UBER efficient not counting: gp5 you gain or the active. Amazing item for supports.

Wriggles - if you cast 10 wards in a game this item SKYROCKETS just based on ward useage.

There are many things which are hard or impossible to calculate because they are unique. Aura items, attack buffs, spell slow, nukes, lichbane etc.

The "Efficiency Ratio" column is the GOLD EFFICIENCY over the item's total cost. This is because higher cost items are more efficient, so it's good to normalize by using overall cost.

Post questions! I'll try to answer.

Catters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2011

I love it. Everything I've been looking for in an item specific spreadsheet and more. Did you have any surprising findings while calculating these efficiencies? I was particularly surprised to find the cost efficiency difference between RoA and Doran's ring.

Warrrrax

11-02-2011

I like your more accurate calculations and will use them. The only question is about CDR, Apen, MPen.

I had CDR at 40 gold per percent, but it is rather hard to calculate. Heres how I did it:

1) The kindlegem costs 850 for 500g worth of health, so 350g for 10% CDR. BUT kindlegem is not a basic item and most non-basic items have a 10-40% "bonus factor".

2) If we assume that Quints are fairly well balanced, one can see that CDR = 1.64%. An AD gives 2.25 in comparison, 3.4 for AS. Dodge gives 1.5.
If we extrapolate, this tends to indicate that CDR is valued at around 50 gold per point.

3) Masteries. We can get 1% CDR in the same tier as 1 point of AS. While not exactly balanced, we would expect 0.5 CDR instead if it was truly valued at 50 per point.

Combining all sources, I eyeball it at about 40g. Where did you get the smaller value?

-------------
Armor Penetration and Magic Pen I got basically through looking at the Quints and their typical effect on gameplay.

* I value armor penetration at about 20 to 25. A quint gives 3.3 ArPen, vs 2.25 AD, 3.4 AS. This indicates about 25 value.

* Since you can get 2 points of ArPen for 1 mastery, this implies a lower value than 25.

* Math wise, if you have 100 AD vs a foe with 30 armor, you deal 77 damage.
If you added 30 AD (about 1200g worth) , you would deal 100 damage... or +23 dmg.

If instead you added 30 APen, you would deal 100 damage.

Vs a foe with 100 armor, the 100 AD guy does 50 damage.
Adding 50 AD would increase this to 75.
Adding 50 Apen would increase the 100AD damage to 66 damage.

Conclusion: Armor Pen is equally good as AD only when you are reducing their armor to zero. This is really hard to do though and is generally less effective than AD.
Hence, a value assigned of 20...maybe 25.

-----
Magic Penetration on the other hand is UBER. You can see immediately that MPen gives about 1/2 the value of Armor Pen from looking at Quints.

Furthermore since few spells have 1.0 AP ratio, AND spells have a bunch of BASE damage that gets afffected by magic penetration, MPen is WAY better than APen point for point.

Hence I value it at 45ish gold.

edit: You might bump AD a bit more. Using BFSword is a bit unfair because it is so expensive that it gets a "bonus factor" itself. Using a longsword results in over 40g per point. A pickaxe at 39ish.

NunChuckasaurus

11-02-2011

I based all calculations on items - but I think using a rune base/ratio comparison would be very interesting. I will run numbers and possible update my sheet.

Also if anyone wants sheet editing privelages let me know.

You are right that nonbasic items have a built in bonus, so maybe CDR, MP, ArP, Move % are slightly undervalued.

I calculated them using the simplest items that can give you the stats, and then subtracting out the value of other present attributes (the 200 HP on kindle, the 70 move speed on ionian, etc). This is the "cost" you see below.

Item Name type Cost Amt Cost/unit
Ruby Crystal hp 475 180 2.6
Giant's Belt hp 1110 430 2.6
Rejuventation Bead hp5 250 8 31.3
Regrowth Pendant hp5 435 15 29.0
Sapphire Crystal mana 400 200 2.0
Faerie Charm mp5 180 3 60.0
Meki Pendant mp5 390 7 55.7
Chain Mail arm 700 45 15.6
Cloth Armor arm 300 18 16.7
Null-Magic Mantle MR 400 24 16.7
Negatron Cloak MR 740 48 15.4
Longsword dmg 415 10 41.5
Pickaxe dmg 975 25 39.0
B.F. Sword dmg 1650 45 36.7
Amplifying Tome ap 435 20 21.8
Blasting Wand ap 860 40 21.5
Needlessly Large Rod AP 1600 80 20.0
Brawler's Gloves crit 400 8 50.0
Cloak of Agility crit 830 18 46.1
Dagger atk 420 15 28.0
Recurve Bow atk 1050 40 26.3
Vampiric Scepter lifesteal450 12 37.5
Boots move 350 50 7.0
Boots3 move 650 40 16.3
Brutalizer Arp 387 20 19.4
Haunting Guise MP 485 20 24.3
Ionian Boots CDR 378 15 25.2
Codex CDR 226 10 22.6
Sorcerer's Boots MP 322 20 16.1
Zeal %move187 8 23.4
Hextech Revolver spellvamp373 20 18.7
KindleGem CDR 330 10 33.0

As I mentioned, this slightly undervalues the more complex attributes. Let me see what it looks like using Quint Ratios.

NunChuckasaurus

11-02-2011

GAH format hell

NunChuckasaurus

11-02-2011

I looked at the math and you are right, using runes is much more accurate. I updated the sheet and it should be more helpful.

I will also publish the RUNE value guide based on gold value of the rune soon. Would people want that?

Enraged Pickle

11-02-2011

What do you mean by "break even"?

Normally speaking, if something is inefficiency (bad) then the break even point is when it becomes neutral, and beyond break even is efficient (good). You can state it the other way around as well, from efficient to inefficient.

I looked at your file, my conclusion is negative values in the efficiency column is good. For example, you wrote Guinsoo's Rageblade is the most efficient non-snowball item. For Heart of Gold, you wrote "Efficient after 10.18 min", which means the break even point should be at 10.18 min. Before it is inefficient and after is efficient. This also makes sense, according to my definition above, it has a positive efficiency value. Now lets look at Tear of Goddess, when its empty it had an efficiency value of "-10%". By the definition above, this IS already efficient. The break even point that you specified is after 35 spells to get "-39%". How do you break even from an efficient item (since you're talking about going from an inefficient item to efficient)?

Also, I read from Leaguecraft, Rod of Ages only last for 10 minutes. Meaning, you get the bonuses 10 times over 10 minutes. How do you break even at 12 minutes...? All the bonuses are already given.

Asuramundos

11-02-2011

@op's Nashor's Tooth comment: That's what I try to tell everyone!!

JedimasterDarren

11-02-2011

Great spreadsheet. Thanks for all your time and effort.

I so empathize with your comments about ninja tabi, philo stone to miracle/shurelya and nashors tooth!

A few quick things I notice for you to fix.

1) Executitioners Calling cost 1350, not 1600. Another one of my fav. items with the nice debuff and passive for the cost.

2) Your stats for Randium are way off.

3) Warmogs has HP regen too which you need to add. Great synergy with Force of Nature of course.

Thanks again for your efforts.

NunChuckasaurus

11-03-2011

Thanks Jedimaster. Fixed your notes.