Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Improvements Update

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lapalm

10-10-2009

Good job. Very fun to be part of such a community with devs doing their best.

Telestia

10-10-2009

Man, and I was about to write a giant thread about how you should look in to using a neural network for the matchmaking. I had so many great ideas bouncing around in my head, now all for naught.
But really, it's great to see you guys are still working so hard on this!

Kingreaper

10-10-2009

Quote:
Telestia:
Man, and I was about to write a giant thread about how you should look in to using a neural network for the matchmaking. I had so many great ideas bouncing around in my head, now all for naught.
But really, it's great to see you guys are still working so hard on this!

How were you thinking a neural network could improve the system?
Because if it could improve it before, in a manner other than helping calculate the formulas for the matchmaker to use, nothing we have been told would make it less useful.

Larias

Adjudicator

10-10-2009

Bump.

Adrenicide

10-10-2009

Absolutely awesome to see you guys putting this kind of work into the matchmaking system. Can't help but lol at the people that feel LoL won't be a competitive game, the gameplay is there, and the matchmaking will only make this game an arena of players being given great matches and us seeing who the top players and teams really are.

Fantastic work Zileas, and tell Danzig that he pwns.

WinterAyars

10-10-2009

Quote:
Bianary:
Sometimes I spend the first five minutes feeding, and we still win.

Although this is often true (you can die a couple times early and still do pretty well--unlike in dota where dying early basically puts you so far behind you are going to be hurt the entire game) many high level players think the early game is the most important (http://kassadin.blogspot.com/2009/10/pre-game-environment.html). (I kind of hate to link to that guy's blog, since he's been spamming it everywhere, but it really is good stuff.)

But then again, i never surrender. Ever. Surrender is for bad players

Regarding neural nets and other AI trickery: i think it would be fascinating to put a neural net, or whatever, together and feed it all the stats you can put together and then see if it can't match people up nicely. I think we could discover some surprising things. On the other hand, that's probably too experimental for a commercial game.

SuicideJockey

10-10-2009

Can't wait to see this in action. Thanks again Riot!

Larias

Adjudicator

10-13-2009

bump. Why are people not happy about this?

guy3o3

10-13-2009

Jesus. Looking at those graphs just reminds me of my horrible experience in my stats class back in college. Great job guys, keep up the good work.

TombMonkey

10-13-2009

Quote:
Larias:
bump. Why are people not happy about this?

Maybe because we don't understand what's being spoken here?