Any advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaxR4

01-02-2012

Any advice on how to make friends? I'm extremely anti-social and pretty much coast through life without any interaction. I don't want to be this way, i mean I want to want to hang out with people and make friends and stuff like normal teenagers. But I just dont. But it's a new year and I want to change. It might seem like a simple task. But I find it very difficult to talk to people and I can't keep conversations going. I feel like i'm lacking the most simple human abilities. How do you get better at this.

Vorkon

01-02-2012

yeah

Rahgar

01-02-2012

Try talking to people. It's hard, I know, but you can do this.

I met my best friend back in middle school just by asking him what book he was reading, and I thought talking to people was nearly impossible back then.

lockpickEMD

01-02-2012

Go to church.

Jesus the Friend

01-02-2012

Pretend like you're social and outgoing, think of what someone who was social and outgoing would say/do and then emulate that behavior.

Then keep emulating, eventually it will become second nature to you.
The most important part of this is confidence, do NOT be afraid to fail, you -will- fail at first but you'll master it quickly if you keep at it.

Irongrinder

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahgar View Post

I met my best friend back in middle school just by asking him what book he was reading, and I thought talking to people was nearly impossible back then.
This, pretty much.

Or join a club of some sort. Like, if you're a writer, join a writer's circle, or so on.

FaxR4

01-02-2012

Appreciate the help everyone.

Powerstoned

01-02-2012

Experiment 1.
Learn to politely debate someone about politics or religion. First ppl online, and then with your dad or older male friend.

Lance Eliot

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahgar View Post

That sounds like me. I literally just met my best friend in middle school because in PE class we were some of the only people who would sit on the sidelines, not playing the boring sports. We spent the entire time talking about video games and such and it seems really ridiculous in retrospect.

It's been 6 or 7 years, and my friendship with him and his family has grown so strong that I could actually be satisfied with no other friends than him and his sister. That isn't to say that I haven't gained plenty of friends over the years- I have, especially in college. I'm not outgoing by any means, but when someone happens to find me (usually due to a connection to one of my other friends), they have a tendency to stick around.

Rahgar

01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyallEverard View Post
That sounds like me. I literally just met my best friend in middle school because in PE class we were some of the only people who would sit on the sidelines, not playing the boring sports. We spent the entire time talking about video games and such and it seems really ridiculous in retrospect.

It's been 6 or 7 years, and my friendship with him and his family has grown so strong that I could actually be satisfied with no other friends than him and his sister. That isn't to say that I haven't gained plenty of friends over the years- I have, especially in college. I'm not outgoing by any means, but when someone happens to find me (usually due to a connection to one of my other friends), they have a tendency to stick around.
That's better than my story at least. The book my pal was reading was a Yaoi manga, and neither of us knew any better at the time.

"Is... that a guy..?"

"I dunno man. And he's making out with... another guy?"

"Why is this in the school library?"