Dominion AP Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xahhfink6

01-01-2012

Not posting a full guide, but I wanted to share with some people my new favorite Dominion Champ: AP Yi

AP yi used to be a mediocre but viable build on summoner's rift, but with some changes to items and metagame it stopped being seen. The basic idea is that you stack as much ap as possible, use Q to hit up to 4 enemies for several hundred damage, and every kill or assist resets his cooldowns thanks to his ult, meaning he can chain Q's for huge damage to an entire team, and his heal lets him soak massive damage while healing as his cooldowns recharge.

Dominion's cramped teamfights and common tower-diving make ap yi's playstyle highly valuable, and his mobility is great for taking towers. On top of this, he is an AMAZING solo bot. Here is why: When yi uses his Q, it has a chance to instantly kill any minion, and it will hit 4 targets within a certain range. This means that yi can stand out of range of the other solo bot and alpha strike, killing the entire minion wave and dealing huge damage to the other champion. Later in the game ap yi also dominates, as 1-3 low hp champs will often try to defend a capture point. The ability to chain Q's lets yi dive for massive damage.

As for a quick build, I've started with a blasting rod, boots, and a couple pots, buit into a deathcap, CDR boots, Sheen->Lichbane, Void Staff, Zhonya's, and then any other high-AP item. I've been using almost full AP runes and a full offense mastery tree.

tl;dr: AP yi op on dominion

Keinne

01-01-2012

Just tried a few games, it's so ridiculous trying to lane against him.
His poke, healing and pushing power are amazing. Only real draw back I can see is when you have team mates who decide 3 people bottom is a good idea and you lack sustained damage to team fight properly.

Nekrogen

01-01-2012

Yep, he's my new favourite bottom laner. He isn't exactly easy to play tho considering how susceptible to CC he is. I find rushing DFG is an important item to increase his early game damage and CDR for continuous alphas and trollitates. When to use his ultimate is also fairly important considering you need it to catch up, escape AND refresh your cooldowns.

People also underestimate the passive on his E in that he isnt automatically going to be awful with AD.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

until the enemy gets some magic resist and laughs at your pitiful damage.

ap yi = burst caster with only one damaging spell. not worth it

xahhfink6

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmival View Post

It has trouble on summoner's rift, but with the quick speed of dominion and the focus on taking points, ap yi can be quite successful. His "one damaging spell" hits 4 enemies with a 1:1 ap ratio, and can be used almost without a cooldown. Don't forget that by the time the enemy team is going to be stacking some MR, you will have hit 55% mpen from voidstaff, masteries, and dominion buff, and you can also be hitting with sheen/lichbane damage.

Imwetoddid

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmival View Post

Don't play him as a burst caster then. Play him as an AP harass/pusher that's impossible to push out of lane.

Phourc

01-01-2012

AP Yi has boss harass, but he's pretty useless in a straight fight - so he's great bottom lane as long as you don't get ganked.

I honestly need to mess with him more but he does feel really lacking in certain areas ):

RealWolf M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

The thing that screws him up bot is people who can just go and kill him, without fearing the harrass. Essentially he can't 1v1 you, so if he can't alpha stike minions, when he alpha strikes you he will die early on

ColdFireBeast

01-01-2012

What exactly does he do versus Yorick and Nasus? I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain both can outsustain his harass and possibly outpush it, too. Both are also very popular bottom lane picks.

blackDAILO

01-01-2012

I'm an AD Yi main for Dominion, and I've heard that AP Yi is inferior compared to an AD build in Dominion.

But you seem to be right, AP Yi seems to be a very great solo bot champion. I'll give it a try.