Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Have the writers left or gotten sloppy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DFxKazuto

01-02-2012

Quote:
Silverling:
Though that doesn't change the fact that something might change about said champion that causes a rework in their lore and would cause the writing team to panic and stuff.

Agreed. I mean, the way that they handled Garen nerfs through the brush's not being the way they used to was genius. You should not be blaming them, nor harass or complain, but should be thankful that they are conjuring mysteries and puzzles that, quite frankly, entertain our community here at the lore forums.

WexAndywn

Recruiter

01-02-2012

Alas, poor Yorick.
You forgot Yorick! Personally, I LOVED his lore. An undead gravedigger that failed his gravedigger family by not producing an heir, has a family memento, his shovel, as a weapon, and is from the Shadow Isles, a place with not much lore.

Galgus

01-02-2012

I think you are oversimplifying Riven, who is one of the most interesting characters in League of Legends to me: at least in how I read her lore.

She was considered a paragon of the Noxian ideal that strength and merit were all that mattered, but in war she was faced with the fact that merit and strength doesn't always matter: and was forced to question her might justifies right beliefs.

Now she feels guilty about the war, but she still holds to the purest form of her old beliefs: that anyone, regardless of gender, race, or standing should be able to prove themselves by their merit. In this way, she is still loyal to her vision of what Noxus should be.

She views this as the true value of Noxus, and is devoted to reforming Noxus to this ideal: as opposed to the Zuanite mentality that throws potential into a meatgrinder in the name of progress.

As far as relations with other champions, she has a deep hatred of Singed, who killed the men she commanded and almost killed her. She doesn't have many friends in Ionia or Demacia because she was on the wrong side of the war, and she has distanced herself from Noxus, the one and only place where she was admired.

Her decisions have not left her with many friends, but she is doing what she thinks is right: she is far more than just a "defect from Noxus".

(Her story also reminds me of the shady side of Demacia, where everything is based on a caste system, if I recall correctly.)

belthazor3457

01-02-2012

Quote:
Fenix12345:
Let's see you and a single friend come out with a fully decked champ every two weeks along with writing an entire news segment and then getting the whole lot checked and approved countless times before the community is even allowed a single look.

The basic law of physics. Doubling a wheel's size makes it eight times as heavy. = )

a lot of people looking at this situation formulating "4 people = value of speed of lore production is 20" and thus calculate that "2 people = value of speed of lore production is 10" because 10 is half of 20, and 2 is half of 4. But things don't work that way.

Person A and B and C and D do things all at the same time so the work can be done more fluidly, but lacking person A and B's tasks 1 and 2 mean that person C and D have to, in addition to taking up all of normal A and B's tasks, go back to complete all the prior. However, while doing this, they can't continue to work on C and D's part 2.

Vuther

01-02-2012

Quote:
Galgus:
(Her story also reminds me of the shady side of Demacia, where everything is based on a caste system, if I recall correctly.)

I recall nothing of the sort - last I checked, Demacia had a royal family in charge along with an elected council - a constitutional monarchy, in the words of the website. Heavily militarization and nationalism are the other aspects of their culture, but nothing about a caste system that I know of.

Galgus

01-02-2012

Quote:
Vuther:
I recall nothing of the sort - last I checked, Demacia had a royal family in charge along with an elected council - a constitutional monarchy, in the words of the website. Heavily militarization and nationalism are the other aspects of their culture, but nothing about a caste system that I know of.

Having trouble finding where or if I found that, but it may be part Lux's lore: though it doesn't say enough for such an implication.

DFxKazuto

01-03-2012

Quote:
belthazor3457:
The basic law of physics. Doubling a wheel's size makes it eight times as heavy. = )

a lot of people looking at this situation formulating "4 people = value of speed of lore production is 20" and thus calculate that "2 people = value of speed of lore production is 10" because 10 is half of 20, and 2 is half of 4. But things don't work that way.

Person A and B and C and D do things all at the same time so the work can be done more fluidly, but lacking person A and B's tasks 1 and 2 mean that person C and D have to, in addition to taking up all of normal A and B's tasks, go back to complete all the prior. However, while doing this, they can't continue to work on C and D's part 2.

This can be very easily simplified into a simple scenario. In a game of League of Legends, in say, Summoner's Rift. If one person happens to DC, Ragequit, or whatever, then the team that person was on suddenly loses all advantages or momentum when that player still played. Disregarding when they left the game, it results in a major impact on the team, and the load left by the teammate is too much for the other four. This is how stressed the lore team is at the moment.

Imagine if you were playing a 4v4 LoL game, and suddenly two people disconnected.

Strails

01-04-2012

A quick note, unrelated to the two-week turnaround: I don't know Riot's work process, but the writers are probably writing more than just lore. Probably more than just the lore and the news, too. I'd be amazed if they get to spend even 20% of their work time on the lore. If they do, more power to them for their time management and more power to Riot for letting them focus on the lore.

Also, ups to Galgus: I've been turning the same thing over and over in my head about Riven, balancing her grace and judgement versus the ruthlessness. I'd actually be really curious to talk with Skribbles about whether he got input into the voice acting for Riven, because she seems much more ruthless in the Judgment than in her in-game quotes. Remember, during the Judgment it was implied that she was going to kill the civilian if her soldiers didn't. Very fascinating potential for Riven, will probably write a fanfic if I can finally grok her character.

DemonicTrilogy

01-04-2012

Um, since when did 2 writers get fired??? Can anyone bring up any proof...

Heinrich Agrippa

01-04-2012

Quote:
Theomniadept:

Notice how all these characters from before had connections. Friend of this guy, rival of this guy, did this, talked about that.

Quote:
Talon: A thief from Noxus. Trained by Katarina's dad.

Shyvana: Half dragon found by Jarvan 4

Volibear: A bear.

Viktor: Written in as Blitzcrank's real creator (since anything else would require retconning). Got mad, went Iron Man.

These new champions, as you've written yourself, have connections, too, they just haven't had time to play out yet (you didn't note that Volibear has become an ally of Ashe and seems to have seen war in Freljord's future--leading to something bigger, maybe?). That, and with the JoJ delayed, these new champions just haven't gotten as much exposure or had as much time to develop.

I'm pretty sure Talon has been in the JoJ (he fought Garen in Kalamanda, but was disguised or hidden?). Graves had an article detailing his breakout from Zaun, too.