Have the writers left or gotten sloppy?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theomniadept

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2011

Let's take a look at some summaries of champion backstories for a little bit of my personal assessment. This lore will also include Journal of Justice notes. These are in no particular order, but my point will still show itself:

Garen: Possible romance with Katarina, killed Sion and Urgot, shunned by Jarvan, brother of Lux.

Jarvan: No judgment, Black Rose conspiracies, hot-headedness, started a war, rival of Swain, almost executed by Urgot.

Lux: Carried away as a child, forced to bevome a mage for Demacia, sister of Garen, learning her lot in life.

Xin Zhao: Rescued by Jarvan 2, serves Jarvan 3, forced to ruin judgment for Jarvan 4.

Swain: Former Black Rose, general of Noxus, tried to kill Jarvan, friend of LeBlanc, could be demon-summoner.

Katarina: Sister of Cassiopeia, possible lover of Garen, stole Sion's dead corpse, father went missing, sister is cursed.

LeBlanc: Actually named Evaine, made to appear like the original, leader of Black Rose, friend of Swain, seen in Jarvan's reflection in the Journal.

Teemo: Friend of Tristana, defender of Bandle City, shot down Veigar.

Warwick: Former chemist, turned into an OP werewolf by a very dimwitted Soraka,

Irelia: Daughter of extremely god-like swordsman, has a brother somewhere, spoke out against Noxian occupation.

Kassadin: Rival of Malzahar, fights to prevent Void takeover, may have lost daughter to Malzahar's sacrifice, caused power outage in Zaun, was arrested for fighting Malzahar.

Miss Fortune: Parents killed as a kid, had comb stolen by Gangplank, due to original Gangplank skin there is theory his father killed her parents.

Heimerdinger: Invented most everything. Yi's goggles, Corki's copter, all kinds of stuff in the Journal, yet can't invent a way to be viable at level 30.

Galio: Was a defender of his creator, failed him, renewed his resolve seeing Poppy after her loss of her father.

Tryndamere: President of Riot, has massive muscles, a massive sword, can spin through walls, never dies, is a king of barbarians, has a really well-endowed wife, and whatever else Riot thinks this guy deserves. A camaro? Private jet?

Now let's look at the more recent champs.

Talon: A thief from Noxus. Trained by Katarina's dad.

Riven: Defector from Noxus

Xerath: A being of arcane energy (note this is exactly what they described Ryze as).

Shyvana: Half dragon found by Jarvan 4

Fizz: A fishman, lost his village. Can never replace Urf.

Volibear: A bear.

Ahri: Naruto

Viktor: Written in as Blitzcrank's real creator (since anything else would require retconning). Got mad, went Iron Man.

Notice how all these characters from before had connections. Friend of this guy, rival of this guy, did this, talked about that. These new ones are just...bland. No story, doesn't make me give a turd about them at all, which makes me want to buy them even less. The only one here with any potential is Viktor, and that's -if- the put some controversy into the Journal of Justice. Other than that this connection to Blitzcrank may as well not even exist.

I realize that there's money to be made in champions, not in writing, but this is just lazy. I know older champions like Cho'Gath and Nidalee and Shaco really don't have much in the way of story, but this long line of "I don't care" just can't go on. League of Legends was cool because it had lore that made me interested, not solely because I go into a game, crunch some numbers, then get a win or lose sign.

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

Half the staff got fired (the whole staff was 4 people so we only have 2 left).

Survivor Steve

01-01-2012

Indeed, four people working on a sentence would create a much more entertaining line, than only two writers. simple logic.

Fenix12345

01-01-2012

I disagree with this thread, Graves was decent, Talon was decent, Riven was decent. And yes, having four people instead of two makes all the difference. Let's see you and a single friend come out with a fully decked champ every two weeks along with writing an entire news segment and then getting the whole lot checked and approved countless times before the community is even allowed a single look.

In my opinion, writers should be the only ones discussing this topic, which they don't because they understand. You can twirl your thumbs and say "oh it can't be that hard" and "they're getting paid for it" but unless you can put pen to paper yourself then you have no idea. You are a consumer, playing a free game, a game that does not work in expansions or sequels which give months and even years to work out the kinks. This is a patch based game, a MOBA on top of that, and Riot caters to a worldwide audience. There isn't a lot of time to work, if someone desides to change something about the character, boom, back to the drawing board for Lore. If someone desides that they don't like it, boom, back to the drawing board for Lore. If someone desides to move one project ahead of another, all work on that gets dropped to sit in a corner while they tackle the new problem.

I am a writer, I understand, I support Riot and I know that in the end they will not dissapoint.

Syrino

01-01-2012

I agree with Fenix. I am a writer and I could possibly churn out a background and a judgement for champion every two weeks, but it would be far from the polished product that people expect. You also have to keep in mind that the writers have to write a journal of justice that advances the lore and make sure all of the champions that are created have those connections you desire. With 4 people it's a lot easier to do all that, but with two becomes very difficult. Especially when you have to get approval for everything you write.

Theomniadept

01-01-2012

I would agree with you being a writer myself. But that is the issue - why are they pumping out champions after two weeks? The fact that they are pumping champions means, and ge tthis, their writing is being completely ignored.

Look at what they have; League Judgments, Journals of Justice, character backgrounds, and in one case (which we probably won't see again) a grudge match between two of their fictional nations that let the players decide the direction their story will take.

THAT is what would bring more people to the game. The writing thus far has been subpar because they are not only not hiring writers, but they also forgo the story aspect in favor of getting that money from the kids who want to buy a champion every 2 weeks.

And my point stands - looking at the champions that have come out they can only pump out stories with after-the-fact material. Twisted Fate got magic powers. Release Graves and staple him to TF saying it was a traitorous deal for it. Blitzcrank was invented and became sentient. Release Viktor and tag him with the line 'actual inventor of Blitzcrank'.

My gripe still stands; I don't care how much work goes into writing because the end product should be a finished product. I realize that their backgrounds, judgments, and a Journal would make it three very shoddy works, but currently we only have one half-decent work being the background.

I'm honestly of the opinion that this 2 week champion thing is ridiculous both for the balance issue and the writing issue. I'd be willing to wait a month or more for a champion if it meant they can pump out complete works.

Good Vi

01-01-2012

The way I look at it is that the reason I'm drawn to a game in gameplay first, story second. Now that I'm getting the game under control, the story and lore behind the champions is interesting me more and more. I go on the league wiki every day just to read the lore of the champions and see how the all intertwine.

The best solution I see is the one that Theomniadept (and I'm sure many, many others) proposed, and that is release a champion every 4 weeks/ once a month. That way Riot could possibly spread out their staff to other areas more instead of just concentrating it all in once area. But that is just my 2 cents.

Fenix12345

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theomniadept View Post
I would agree with you being a writer myself. But that is the issue - why are they pumping out champions after two weeks? The fact that they are pumping champions means, and ge tthis, their writing is being completely ignored.

Look at what they have; League Judgments, Journals of Justice, character backgrounds, and in one case (which we probably won't see again) a grudge match between two of their fictional nations that let the players decide the direction their story will take.

THAT is what would bring more people to the game. The writing thus far has been subpar because they are not only not hiring writers, but they also forgo the story aspect in favor of getting that money from the kids who want to buy a champion every 2 weeks.

And my point stands - looking at the champions that have come out they can only pump out stories with after-the-fact material. Twisted Fate got magic powers. Release Graves and staple him to TF saying it was a traitorous deal for it. Blitzcrank was invented and became sentient. Release Viktor and tag him with the line 'actual inventor of Blitzcrank'.

My gripe still stands; I don't care how much work goes into writing because the end product should be a finished product. I realize that their backgrounds, judgments, and a Journal would make it three very shoddy works, but currently we only have one half-decent work being the background.

I'm honestly of the opinion that this 2 week champion thing is ridiculous both for the balance issue and the writing issue. I'd be willing to wait a month or more for a champion if it meant they can pump out complete works.
Companies don't work that way, it's been said before; lore isn't responsible for initially coming up with the champions. They get a concept from the other departments and they work on that. They can't simply tell champ design to take a hike, they are employees as well, it would not be prudent at all to pay people to sit around and do nothing while another department tries to catch up, nor to stop paying them. To tell them to help with Lore may not be advisable because they might not have the required skillsets, though good as they are at their job, doesn't mean that they can do any job.

You are biasing your entire view over some stupid misconception of corporate greed, Riot are a company, of course they're out to make money! What do you expect? Pointing your fingers at this common and unneccessary fact is rather "pointless". You say they don't give a dam.n about any problems as long as they get their moneys worth? Again, you are playing a free game, it's not like your being cheated or anything. As I said, they can't stop making champions because that would still leave one department behind and another department with squat to do for a couple of months.

The problem will only be solved when they hire more writers, which also won't be easy. Can you imagine walking in there with a resume to be told that if you start you will be working with 2 other people, in a behind department, on a game that you potentially know absolutely nothing about, working your ass off for a month straight trying to get things up to scratch? I can imagine writers lining up infront of HQ screaming "let me in! Let me in!" (Hint hint sarcasm). Hiring employees is a lengthy proccess, they can't just let the first average Joe that walks in the door work for them; looking for a quick fix is not the way to go, in 3-6 months time they would just be in the crapper again. They need someone interested in long term writing, which is hard to find.

Thinking that they're simply ignoring the problem for the sake of profit is an absolutely foolish prospect, we've been told that their working on it and two of the great minds behind the world of Runeterra are still here. But fixing problems like these takes a lot of time.

I full-heartedly agree with you that 2 week champions is too much and it should be extended to 3 weeks, a full month is unadvisable though. Again, champ concept is left with nothing to do.

Vulking

01-01-2012

I think that if Riot released 2 champs at the same time at the beginning of the month along with only 1 balance patch per month it would allow more time for lore and balance, doing all in just 2 weeks is really constraining and stressful for everyone.

I mean, the could perfectly release skins each 2 weeks and leave everything else in a monthly schedule.

Silverling

01-02-2012

For the record, it takes months for them to completely develop a champion, but manage to time it to where they're done and ready for release 2 weeks apart. That's why they gave a sneak peak of Ahri months before she came out.

Though that doesn't change the fact that something might change about said champion that causes a rework in their lore and would cause the writing team to panic and stuff.