Learning Sona.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narastus

12-31-2011

I am looking to play mainly supports, I find them fun and always like seeing a lane person win the game. I like to play any support the carry wants, I am stuck on sona.. For the life of me I can't play her. I've read guide after guide. I win games, but they're not won becuase of how good I do in lane, like all other supports. Anyone have any tips for playing sona. I do main supports, I don't need tips in ward placement, or silly things like that.I am just needing to find a play style that works for her.
Thanks for reading this.

Samiam22

01-01-2012

Sona is easy, but the thing is, her heal is one of the worst as supports go, and Sona is more about the passive auras rather than the actual activation of her spells.

Taciturn Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

Although the auras help, I disagree that they are the pinnacle of her playstyle. I do agree that if you're playing Sona, you shouldn't have healing as your main focus. As Sona, you need to be on top of the poking game. The heals are nice in lane for sustainability, but they are secondary to her pokes. I'm not going to offer a guide in wards, but Sona does well taking advantage of the brush nearby. Are your opponents extending and then hiding in their side of the brush? Pop a ward in there and punish them with your Q (same idea if they push hard enough that you and your lane partner are forced to tower hug). Take advantage of power chord as much as possible. Since power chord's activation differs depending on which aura is up, it usually doesn't hurt healing your lane partner once or twice and then following with a Q poke accompanied by an auto attack with increased damage. The main thing with Sona is zoning your opponents as much as possible early so that you shut down their farm (or even get your carry a few kills if you can coordinate together).

Tyrang

01-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiam22 View Post
Sona is easy, but the thing is, her heal is one of the worst as supports go, and Sona is more about the passive auras rather than the actual activation of her spells.
Seriously, this is what ppl think about Sona, that's why they should just keep playing Soraka..... Sona is the STRONGEST support right now in current METAs. Check any tier lists (like Elementz' list, who actually is a famous support player in tournaments), I did not just make this up cuz i like her. I remember Doublelift complains all the time about ppl who have no clue how to play Sona. If you play sustain game with Sona against Soraka... you will lose. She is an aggressive-poke support.

Why, here is the reason:
- Strongest lane poke for support
- High heal PER SECOND (higher than Soraka, who specialize in burst heal, I bold ited cuz ppl can't read. Sona heals more frequent but less powerful)
- Auras
- AOE stun for late game

=============================

Tips:
- Q + Power Chord (passive) is a surprise burst, keep poking. Usually lvl Q first.
- Power chord comes with 3 effects depends on your last skills. Knowing this is the key to a good Sona player. It activates on the third skills usage. Charging it for enemy champ is key.
- Sona main job is to poke enemy from brush and zone them out. And she is really good at that in lane, even without items.
- Learn all the support essentials like warding, CV, drake/baron timers, and junglers tracking, as well as init (Sona init is different). I think Xpecial guide to support is a good read. He wrote a great guide for it and he is one of the top support in NA.

Tips on Power Chords:
- Spells and Chords: Q gives double dmg on pwr chords. W gives reduced dmg on enemy. E gives 40% slow on enemy.

How to's:
- How to poke: charge 2 spells, get close to enemy and press Q and auto. Your last note will be Q power chords with double dmg. You can burst around 1/4 hp (or more) off squishies in the beginning. Get your AD to throw in a shot or two, you can zone them forever
- How to Init (before lvl 6): When the enemy is low-ish or opportunity comes, charge up 2 spells (signal your ally, they should know by body language, ping them if needed), E to increase speed for chase, power chord in to slow the enemy. 40% slow is quite a bit.
- How to Init (post lvl 6): rdy the E pwr chord, ult them, then power chord them to slow them. You can reverse this order if you like.
- How to Init (team fight): Nothing much, just hit as many as you can with your ult. Init with it, meaning you may need to walk up in front of carries with the tank briefly, then back step a lil to do your stuff.

I write too much but I want to give the right idea about Sona. Sona is deceivingly faceroll-looking champ, but she isn't. She is easier than Alistar and Janna IMO, but she is definitely harder than Soraka to play right.

PS. Just because Sona is recognized as the best support, she may not be the best fit for some AD. Like Alistar is good for Trist and Janna is good for Graves.

Axecution

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2012

As the greatest Sona player of all time I think I should give a new Sona player some tips.

First and foremost Sona is NOT the support for passive play. For passive play you want Taric & Soraka.

Sona's role during the lane varies depending on your opponent, however Sona does not shine in the laning phase bar a few exceptions.

In lane you only want to harass if the enemy has low harass potential, unless your lane partner has strong harass. Also, don't harass in a lane vs passive laners. You will run out of mana, and take more damage sometimes.

Sona shines in lane once she hits level 6. Sona alone can dish out anything from 200-300 damage alone. However with a good team mate this can usually mean you can pick up kills (again, unless your laning vs a passive laner). Even so, Sona shines in that with jungle or mid support it's almost a free kill.

In team fights Sona's ult is easily one of the best ults in the game. A directional AoE stun (this means you can target the front & back line at the same time unlike Spherical AoE stuns.

Once you get all that down all that's left is using your power chord/special abilities. If you're using the slow from E and the heal debuff from W and the damage boost from Q, then you're winning.

<-- 75% w/l with Sona in S1 and 60%+ in S1

Kalafai

01-01-2012

Aria of Valor has some peculer targeting rules as well. At close range it targets nearest champion as stated, but at long range it targets nearest minion/monster. At somewhere close past half range the nearest champion is stopped scanning for, and the nearest target will be hit instead. So when poking from max range, make sure there's nothing close to you, and when behind your minions get up close.