Should you be able to indicate what lane/role you want to play?

This would make things way easier 23 71.88%
I think this would just complicate the game 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Let Players Indicate What Lane They Want IN META

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SpiritOfChaos

12-30-2011

We all know that when you're playing solo queue, 50% of medium elo pre-games start about people arguing about who wants what lane. Either that, or no one has any idea of whats going on and everyone just picks a champion they like and you have no viable team comp.

How hard would it be to put a little check box next to your name when you entered chat for "Top, Mid, Bottom, Jungle, Support". Keep in mind that this wouldn't "reserve" you that lane, but would give people some kind of idea about what you're planning on doing. This would even remove some of the problems with language barriers.

I'm in no way saying this would get rid of the drama of the solo queue meta, but it would certainly speed up the process and result in a lot less headaches for everyone. I know after 20 minutes of queue dodgers I'm in much less of a mood to play.

TL;DR Riot should implement a feature to let people indicate what lane they want to play

ThatSriLankanKid

12-30-2011

Riot already this this feature implemented. Its called chat. As soon as you enter queue, type " I can play x roles". Having the feature that you suggest wouldn't actually solve any problems because it doesn't stop prevent people from being stupid/selfish any better than having chat in queue does.

AJStarhiker

12-30-2011

The chat might be more helpful if there was a delay between team assignments and character selection. It could also help alleviate some of the instalock and AFK problems. They have this for premades, but solo queue gets stuck.

BackOrifice

12-30-2011

everyone would be ranged ad or ap mid.

LateralGrudge

12-30-2011

doesnt solve anything to have that check next to you, because two people with "top" in that space will still argue. if anything, it saves 2 seconds of people typing what they pick, but they will still argue. needs moar brainstorming.

Sky Captain

12-30-2011

@Lateral If the system like this is implemented, it would run like current mmo's. You select two to all five roles, and the matchmaking queue would slot you a specific role based on your choice's and the choices of your teammates. There would be no confusion because the matchmaking would 'lock' you into that particular role.

Why it won't work, because trolls and scrubs sick of sitting in queues of upwards of 20 minutes locked in to play ap mid, will start checking other roles and then just insta lock what role they want to play regardless of what's been selected for them.

It would be interesting to see, but the potential for in game failure is far too great. Maybe an easier option would be that whenever you scroll over a players name in champion select, you could see which roles that they prefer to play in a ranking system chosen by the players themselves in their own profile.

StarkDirewolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2011

The first response is to say yes to this but then you start thinking about it and it just wouldn't help.
Just because you have a good team comp, it doesn't make you win.
Just because you have a good team comp, it doesn't mean you won't have trolls or noobs.
Idiots and trolls will be idiots and trolls regardless.

One thing that sets apart the different levels of play is the ability for everyone in solo Q to play each role at a decent level and/ or be able to decide what roles everyone will play.

Yannny

12-30-2011

That's why I only like going with friends in normals\team rank. You can full up the team slots and discuss before you head into queue on what everyone wants to do and what champs they want to play. From there we can work out the remaining spots.

HardcoreSausage

12-31-2011

I think that being able to coordinate this sort of thing is an essential part of solo queueing. It's like communicating with your team- of two equally skilled players, if one yells at a feeder but the other points out that they're getting zoned and need to swap or change their approach to xyz, the latter should and will win more games.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2011

What happens when the meta changes?