The Quality Guides Project

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

berzerk dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
I completely agree. That's the problem with nominations. There's no reason that the people doing the nominating are or know any better than those who write the terrible guides. Random noobs could follow a guide and pub-stomp faceroll and then nominate it thinking it's actually a good guide just because they won in the 1000 Elo bracket.

I propose a secondary check or fail-safe, if you will, in that in addition to receiving the 10 nominations, a guide must also have a minimum up-vote ranking to qualify.

So far the only 2 guides that have qualified as "Quality" are mine and Hyfe's and, apologies for my boldness, I believe this is rightfully so. I think, however, that with time, more and more unfit guides will be nominated and it, indeed, is only a matter of time before even bad guides receive 10 votes cast from beginners picking them up and winning with them.

An even more official/badass, yet admittedly over-the-top solution would be that a group of some sorts could be formed to either accept or veto guides receiving 10 nominations. Members could be the first three or something having a guide receiving Quality status. (tehe)
This is an issue that I have given great consideration to. I realize fully well that even the worst of guides could get 10 nominations given enough time, and I've been thinking hard on how to prevent such a travesty. I honestly like your idea of a QGP "council" of sorts (face it, being over the top is fun) I'll have to decide on how to select the members, but it will be nice to have a few people around to help me maintain the project. I also want to try a "shout out" feature, where if enough people show concern over a guide, I'll open a topic to discuss the guide in question. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occyron7
Since u brought up Morgana guides: http://clgaming.net/board/index.php?...ad&threadID=62
I have a whole list of the best guides, i've found, for each char (although i don't have EVERY char in the game i have most of the good ones ;D)
I stopped reading when that guide recommended Smite for laning :T

Mr Geppetto

08-02-2010

You don't need official features to prevent these things. Just recognize when it happens and stop it. Requiring an official process for it is a little redundant. Just explain why you decline nominations for a guide if you do.

I don't see that this numbered nomination system is really necessary for anything other than bumping the thread. If a guide gets nominated and it's that good, it should qualify. If it gets nominated and it isn't, it shouldn't. If there is doubt, it probably shouldn't.

I don't know if I like the idea of a "council," either. We should give credit to any people who contribute to this project. We should give weight to any contributions that are true and valid. There are enough people who believe in something like this that finding help won't be a problem.

Edit: It would make sense if there were guidelines as far as what constitutes an outstanding guide.

Akal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2010

I'll give a shameless self-plug for my guide for new players who want to make the best use of IP:

Playing LoL on a Budget!

Deathbedeli

08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geppetto View Post
You don't need official features to prevent these things. Just recognize when it happens and stop it. Requiring an official process for it is a little redundant. Just explain why you decline nominations for a guide if you do.

I don't see that this numbered nomination system is really necessary for anything other than bumping the thread. If a guide gets nominated and it's that good, it should qualify. If it gets nominated and it isn't, it shouldn't. If there is doubt, it probably shouldn't.

I don't know if I like the idea of a "council," either. We should give credit to any people who contribute to this project. We should give weight to any contributions that are true and valid. There are enough people who believe in something like this that finding help won't be a problem.

Edit: It would make sense if there were guidelines as far as what constitutes an outstanding guide.
Despite you being somewhat of a **** in my thread, you have some good points in this post. Plus a set of guidelines for our members to strive towards could help promote more polished and content-relevant guides.

Although honestly, I disagree with the original poster berzerk dragon and his second rule.

"2. You may only nominate guides that cover builds that are generally accepted to be viable."

This basically forces every guide to stick to the same cookie cutter mold as every other guide of the same champion, which frankly, stifles creativity and original builds with the potential to do better than the so called "viable" builds.

Downrate me if you want, but it won't change that fact that there is truth in what I am saying.

Mr Geppetto

08-03-2010

Lol, sorry about that. I thought you were using sockpuppets and that just rubbed me the wrong way. Should've checked my facts, huh?

Well, I agree that the "generally accepted" part is tough. As far as I can tell, the only way to change what's generally accepted as viable is for a high-ranked player to come out and make a tier list that contradicts it. However, I think the OP included that rule mostly so he wouldn't have to sort through a bunch of submissions on fun builds (you know the ones I'm talking about).

Anyway, now that things have cooled down I think it's time to make an actually constructive post in your thread. Look forward to that, hm?

Thth

Recruiter

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbedeli View Post
This basically forces every guide to stick to the same cookie cutter mold as every other guide of the same champion, which frankly, stifles creativity and original builds with the potential to do better than the so called "viable" builds.
General acceptance of viability is not the opposite of creativity. Novelty, if such can win a game, will gain acceptance. Could you name one existing effective play style that is not recognized in contemporary play as viable?

Occy

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperness View Post
That Morgana guide is out-of-date and terrible even if it weren't. You've just proven my point. (Bottom of page)
Lol that was a joke btw. But if i had to recommend a guide it would be the videos by Reginald. So many good tips and tricks in there that have really helped better my game. http://www.youtube.com/user/SolomidDOTNet

Garridy

08-03-2010

I very much like this idea. Whenever I am looking at a new champion to play I check out the guides.
Its too bad so many of them are not worthwhile.

Mr Geppetto

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occyron7 View Post
But if i had to recommend a guide it would be the videos by Reginald. So many good tips and tricks in there that have really helped better my game. http://www.youtube.com/user/SolomidDOTNet
Seconding these nominations. You don't have to play on the edge like Reginald; the stuff he shows works (or at least what I've tried of it).

Plus video guides are awesome.

Occy

08-04-2010

Also i took a look at the "openheimer" and "burning heart Amumu" and would like to give them both a nomination.