Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

$$$ [Suggestion] Cure Elo Hell + More - Choose your archtype before queueing!? $$$

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sàndèrs

12-30-2011

Riot looking to expand your player base? Make the game Funner!

How?

Right now the current matchmaking system has no archtype filter. So games group 5 random people with 5 random skillsets, character select begins and who ever calls it first gets it. If you dont like it to bad. Your options are to dodge, play something you dont like or want to play (why play a game you dont want to play), or to pick whatever you want, potentially angering 4 other players (i.e trolling)

Players should be allowed to choose what arch types they're willing to play, BEFORE they queue, not after.

It would cure insta locking, trolls, & elo hell all at the same time.

Meanwhile making the game more enjoyable and competitive because everyone would be playing what they're best at!

Just like how before queueing in wow (sorry to mention that game) you choose tank dps or heals) before entering the queue for dungeon/raid. You should be able to choose weither you want to be tank, carry, ap, jungle, or support or ect.

Doing that one simple thing would revolutionize the game as we know it, and could be an amazing idea for season 3. The really good players that can play everything would benefit with shorter queue times. The players that are really good at certain roles will enjoy playing what they're good.

It would simply make the game better!

This is my 1st post on the forums so my thoughts probably aren't well put out here, but hopefully someone reads this and it gets into the right eyes. Vote up, sign, do whatever forums do to get riot to look at this idea if you think its awesome.

BTW of course everyone doesn't want to play the same meta game thats currently running, and thats fine, i think the cure for that would be a custom meta game filter, so you can choose the type of meta you'd like to run as well, whether its [4 bruiser 1 support] or [1 jungle 1 counter jungle 3 lane]

Now of course this idea would mean higher queue times. But the idea is, quality not quantity, i'm pretty sure all of us have had our share of frustrating games. Thank you for reading!

bluzzed

12-30-2011

i like it

Sàndèrs

12-31-2011

I guess this isn't a good idea? You'd figure a solid cure for a huge source of player frustration would be more popular then this?

MrSpaz

12-31-2011

I wouldn't call it a solid cure, for several reasons.

You underestimate how important queue times are in a game like this. You have two real options here:

- Replace the current system with your suggested system, increasing queue times across the board, as matchmaking is now more complicated -- searches are narrower -- by several major degrees, even in the most basic interpretation of your system.

- Develop the proposed system alongside the current one, effectively splitting the player base into more separate pools than it already is. Not only will this increase queue times because there are fewer people in each pool, it will also beg the question: Which do you use for ranked?

Given that this issue isn't making people run away in droves, and it certainly isn't dooming a huge amount of unlucky players, I can't see the benefit being worth the cost here. If my queue times suddenly jumped up to 10-20 minutes instead of 1-5, I'd be miffed. A lot of players would. You mention WoW's system, and that makes me shudder -- I remember the days of trying to queue for a dungeon on my mage and waiting forty-five minutes, because the queues were saturated by dps and not by tanks or healers.

It wouldn't cure trolls at all, either -- I doubt it'd even put a dent in them. People are going to troll no matter what restrictions are in place. If I wanted to troll your system, I'd say "I want to be the bot ad carry!" and then pick Ahri. Or pick someone who is technically classified as a possible AD carry, but who performs terribly in the hypercarry role, like Shaco or Jarvan. Or just AFK all game, or do any number of reportable things.

It also wouldn't cure elo hell -- not only is that not really a thing that exists, but it also isn't dealt with by this system. The sentiment of being stuck in elo hell comes from people performing worse than they expect -- this happens regardless of what roles they're in or how organized their team is in champion select.